About TRS/TS cables + stereo settings

qwvb1111

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I found on the internet that tip-ring-sleeve cables are necessary if using monitor speakers and if one wants stereo. But TRS cables are out of stock at my local store and they need 2 or 3 months to import new batch of cables.

So instead I bought this one, Planet Waves Custom Series Swivel Speaker Cable XLR MALE - Balanced 1/4'' speaker cable, which is the only similar product I can get. At that moment, I was thinking "well it is balanced 1/4", and Yamaha HS5 has XLR female input, this is the one I need".

̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

1645848124110.png

I bought 2 of this cables, 2 of Yamaha HS5 monitor speakers, and plugging these into GE200 modeler and my guitar to play at bedroom.

HS5s are in their default settings, which is down below.

1645848135466.png

Now is the problem. The LEFT Yamaha HS5's output volume is around half of that from RIGHT HS5 (I have turned the volume on each speaker to 0 to compare). No matter which presets or effects I used in GE200. I have tested individual speaker with single output from GE200 (GE200 -> the LEFT one only, GE200 -> the RIGHT one only), they produce normal volume. Which means that's not the speakers' problem.

I tried switching between 2 cables (the one I plugged in to the left HS5 changed to the right HS5 and vice versa), but it has the same problem (left HS5's output volume is half the right one).

Then I tried the 2 cables individually on each HS5, each HS5 produces normal volume. I assure that is neither the cables' problem.

Lastly I tried 2 normal Tip-sleeve cables plugging into 2 speakers at the same time, they output the same volume. Which I assume is how it should be.

1645849560418.png

My questions are:

— Are TRS cables not suitable for using a pair of monitor speakers? That means, when using single speaker, TRS cable. When using 2 speakers, TS cables.

— Or do I misunderstand / missed something about "stereo" setting, which is, although 2 TS cables give me same volume from 2 speakers, they are not stereo, which makes it the wrong way to use monitors.

Please tell me which cables I should use, or what did I do wrong. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
If you are talking about the Mooer GE200 then all you need is mono interconnect cables.
The ones you have described above will work also.

It kind of seems like the output jack has an issue with balanced connection.

Last edited:

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Balanced Lines and Stereo are Two very Different Worlds ……
3 conductors are required for Balancing
3 conductors are also required for Stereo ( Left and Right Channels with a shared common )
Impedance is lower on Balanced Lines by default ……
Read up on Common Mode Rejection to understand the difference

mickeydg5

Reaction score
It does not matter since the GE200 is 1/4 mono out.
The GE200 and HS5 operates at consumer level. The balanced XLR and TRS are paralleled. Everything is at -10dBu.

It will just operate without advantage of balanced signal.

qwvb1111

Reaction score
Balanced Lines and Stereo are Two very Different Worlds ……
3 conductors are required for Balancing
3 conductors are also required for Stereo ( Left and Right Channels with a shared common )
Impedance is lower on Balanced Lines by default ……
Read up on Common Mode Rejection to understand the difference
Despite balanced or not, can you tell me what cable should I use to have stereo in this situation?

FracStrat

Reaction score
Despite balanced or not, can you tell me what cable should I use to have stereo in this situation?
Mooer GE-200 has a Left and a Right Output Jack .. Both Jacks are Mono per the specifications ……
Two Regular Guitar Cables are all you need …… One sending To each Monitor ..
You Do Not Need a TRS Cable to input your the Monitors .. The lines will not be Balanced but will work just fine ..

Last edited:

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are TRS cables not suitable for using a pair of monitor speakers? That means, when using single speaker, TRS cable. When using 2 speakers, TS cables.

Mooer GE200 has two mono output jacks. TRS cable doesn't work. You need two mono (TS) cables.

To connect to your Yamaha HS5 this one should work (two TS to one TRS):
https://www.thomann.de/se/cordial_c...FvAXltP_vMbFuPntPrfu8JTSz-EdnhWBoC9EsQAvD_BwE

As I understand the 1/4" (6,3 mm) input on the Yamaha HS5 is balanced TRS.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FracStrat is absolutely right. I though there was one stereo input for both speakers. Always check instead of assume!

Two mono cables should work just fine, according to the manual.

Yamaha HS5.png

Last edited:

qwvb1111

Reaction score
Mooer GE-200 has a Left and a Right Output Jack .. Both Jacks are Mono per the specifications ……
Two Regular Guitar Cables are all you need …… One sending To each Monitor ..
You Do Not Need a TRS Cable to input your the Monitors .. The lines will not be Balanced but will work just fine ..
I see… Can you please tell me in which situation should I use TRS cable instead of TS cable

FracStrat

Reaction score
I see… Can you please tell me in which situation should I use TRS cable instead of TS cable
The only way that 3 conductor Cables ( XLR or TRS ) matter in this case would be if you to add a couple of DI boxes ( one for Left and another for Right ) to receive the Un-Balanced Outs from the Mooer to convert the signal to Balanced to send on to the Monitors…

qwvb1111

Reaction score
The only way that 3 conductor Cables ( XLR or TRS ) matter in this case would be if you to add a couple of DI boxes ( one for Left and another for Right ) to receive the Un-Balanced Outs from the Mooer to convert the signal to Balanced to send on to the Monitors…
If not in this case, when should I use TRS to XLR cables? When connected to balanced output supported modelers?

For example, Headrush MX5

1645935439030.png

FracStrat

Reaction score
If not in this case, when should I use TRS to XLR cables? When connected to balanced output supported modelers?

For example, Headrush MX5

Shielded TRS Cables would take advantage of Balanced RFI Reduction in this case …… TRS from each output to each Monitor

FracStrat

Reaction score
@mickeydg5 …… I’m of the firm belief that the OP is simply not understanding how Common Mode RFI Rejection works …
Lead um to water ……

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
the T/R/S to XLR cable is for, when you use the monitor w/ an interface. The interface will have a T/R/S out & the Yamaha will have the XLR input....

If you don't have a balanced line, it can get digital noise (interference). The Mooer does not support this...

Latest posts