>

About that whole Les Paul / bridge argument thing ...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Vinsanitizer, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ______. sṓzō .______ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

What mean you where you say "sounding off", you mean buzzing? If so, the tailpiece could simply be raised or lowered.

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yeah buzzing under heavy attacks, and just choking off when picking lighter. And raising the tailpiece at the point where it didn't buzz anymore, the string just jumped out of the saddle if I hit it too hard, which was a sign of not enough break angle.
    So in a nutshell, I couldn't get the guitar to a setup that worked for me until I swapped to an ABR-1 and could lower the tailpiece enough.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  3. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Sure, whatever works for ya.

I guess my question is more about what the problem was to begin with?

4. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I dunno, I'm kinda jonesing for a "real" Gibson Les Paul lately, shitty bridge and all:agreed:
    Just working out the details but most likely there's a NGD in my near future.

DaDoc likes this.
  5. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Peeps start with the butt paper hoarding again and your all set.

6. renips

renips Well-Known Member

The original issues were I did not like the way a floating bridge detunes the other strings when bending notes. Common issue but some people don’t mind. Also the springs in the back did make a slinky rattle sound when playing chords. Maybe some people don’t notice or maybe their guitar does not. The stock bent steel saddles did not agree with my right hand. It was not comfortable. I changed those to the graphtech string savers. it does not muffle the strings. It does remove a bit of brightness in a good way for me. So decking and blocking and wrapping and changing out saddles helped make a great guitar a bit better for me.

DaDoc likes this.
  7. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I would never deck the bridges on my Strats. I like my tremolo floated slightly, which is the way it was originally designed to work..I'm not into the "dive bombing" stuff anyhoo, which is why I don't care for stuff like Floyd Roses.

I'll admit decking does a good job helping with intonation issues, but one can float the trem a bit and still stay in tune nicely if it's properly set up..I skimmed through the Duchossoir book to see if I could find the exact amount it should be raised (floated) I know it's in there, but couldn't find it for my reply, sorry 'bout that!

The last mod I had done to any of my Strats was to put vintage-style two-piece trems with the solid steel block on my two 70's models..They are SO much better than the crappy pot-metal one piece stock trems they used on them in the 70's..I did my '74 myself, but for some reason I can't recall I got a local repair guy to do my '75..And when I got it back he had decked the freakin' trem! What the hell?

When I turn over a guitar to a repair guy I expect it to be set up exactly the way it was set up when I gave it to them, at least give me a call and ask! I floated the bridge and re-set the intonation with no problem, but still it's annoying as hell to pay someone for the work and then have to redo it..:wallbash:

8. Vinsanitizer

Excerpt from my OP:

upload_2021-3-28_14-47-3.png

9. Vinsanitizer

Tuning stabilitry.
    Bridge decked, if thou shouldst breakest an string, thy live show shall suffereth not the wrath of sharpness of thy tuning, what-wherewithal.

DaDoc likes this.
  10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yup, same deal with my LP..And I can notice a difference in tone on my Strats with the backplate removed, it's a very subtle one though.

As far as the aforementioned problems with Stratocaster spring noise and so forth, I've never had those issues on any of mine. Maybe I've just been lucky, but then like I said I'm not into extreme tremolo craziness anyhoo..:D

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  11. renips

renips Well-Known Member

what you said about removing the backplate got me thinking about why that could make a difference. Do you notice a difference in sound if you play the guitar unplugged with/without backplate? The backplate reminds me of the ported enclosure on a cabinet in back. There could be some physics involved expanding the enclosure by taking the backplate off. In what way have you noticed a difference in tone? Sustain, bass/treble rolloff or increase?
    Interesting

DaDoc likes this.
  12. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

You're right about that! :lol:

Funny story there..Back in the 80's I was playing a club gig with the band I was in at the time and there was a song on which I did a solo that started with a VERY high bend on the high E, 15th fret. When I went to the bend, KAPOW..String break! Of course it threw my intonation off, but I went ahead and did the solo as well as I could anyhoo, as the show must go on and all that rot, y'know..:shrug:

It was the last song we did before we took a break, so before I replaced my string I went up to the bar to grab a cold one. The other guitarist in the band, who tended to be more than a bit of a jackass at times, came running up to me and proceeded to start raising hell: "WHAT the hell was THAT all about!? You didn't play a single note of that solo in freakin' key!! Rant, rave, ect..:scream:

But then from another direction up comes a member of the audience and says: "Man, that was the COOLEST lead solo I've ever heard! You ROCK, dude!" :woot:

I knew the solo sounded like crap, but I still appreciated the complement. So I told the guy thanks, and then turned and grinned at the other guitarist, who had stopped in mid-sentence and was standing there with his wickerbill hanging open..He gave me a somewhat disgusted look, and then turned and walked away..:rofl:

Learned a valuable lesson there, which is usually the audience can't tell the difference, unless of course they're a musician themselves and prefer to spend the night critiquing the band's playing rather than just listening and having fun, which was something else the other guitar player in the band tended to do a lot! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  13. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can tell a difference both plugged in and unplugged..Not so much in sustain, but a nice clearer tone overall..Again, it's a subtle difference, but one I personally like..I suspect there must be some physics thing going on like you're saying.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  14. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a Les Paul, period..Shitty bridge and all! :thumb:

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  15. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

So how long does it take for a bridge to flatten out anyway?

I thought this thread was about LP bridges, but now you guys are making me want to put my super strat back together and wrap some paper towels around the springs just to see/hear what happens! :lol::lol::lol:

DaDoc likes this.
  16. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Operator abuse.

17. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  18. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I rest the heel of my hand on the strings between the bridge and stop bar, so I adjust the stop bar up or down to where it feels most comfortable. Incidentally, this is also why I don't own any guitars with the Strat type bridge, because I just can't play that type of bridge.* :rolleyes:

Whenever the stop bar was set real low close to the body, I noticed I was breaking more strings than usual.**

* Given my absolutely pitiful skill level, technically I can't play any type of guitar, but for me, the Strat types are worse than the stop bar types.

** Given my absolutely pitiful skill level, I break strings like crazy anyway because I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what the hell I'm even doing anyway, so I'm not really all that sure if I was breaking them more than usual or not. I think I was though.

:coffee:

fitz288 likes this.
  19. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

The back cover off the strat thing I am going to bet doesn't change any "tone". I feel us guitarist have a habit of hearing a difference whenever we change something, be it using different picks, cables, batteries or hearing the difference when you change the screws in your pickgaurd.

That was something touring guitarist and the likes of Hendrix started for string changes on dark stages etc etc

DaDoc and Edgar Frog like this.
  20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

There will be no difference in tone when changing the pickguard screws, as long as one is sure to use the original screws and puts them back in the exact same order they came out in.

Oh, and one will also have better results if they only change the screws during a full moon..:rolleyes:

Maggot Brain and WellBurnTheSky like this.