? about light dimmers and interference

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by hellbilly, Nov 19, 2010.

1. hellbilly

hellbilly New Member

Hello all, I'm about to finish my mancave/beerdrinkin'/practice room. I stumbled on another thread about someone having issues with hum and noise, and come to find out they said it was the light dimmers in the room. I was wanting to use dimmers in this room, but if it's gonna be a problem I won't. Anybody know from experience. Thanks

2. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

There's probably no way to really know if it will be a problem with your specific amp and specific guitar in a specific spot until you try. Probably not a very helpful response, I know... but realistic nontheless.

My JVM210 buzzes with the florescent lights in my basement. I never heard any interference with my JCM 900 DR combo. Same guitar. Same cable. Same outlet. Same spot.

The good news is that the dimmers have very little chance of interfering with beer drinking.

3. hellbilly

hellbilly New Member

By the way I'm running a 1997 DSL100, Epi LP Classic Custom.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

i've got dimmers in my practice room. when the lights are full up, there isn't really a noticeable hum, but when you use the 'dimmer' function, not running them all the way up, there is a noticeable buzz.

5. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

Ps i've got 4 different circuits in that room, plus a separate circuit for the lights... and i still get weird hums now and then, not only from the lights, but if somebody is running a mixer or blender in the kitchen (different circuit), there is a hum...

6. IbanezMark

IbanezMark Senior Member

weird, I remember when I was younger.. my mom would use the mixer in the kitchen which caused the TV in the basement to go fuzzy.

7. core

core New Member

Haha that may have been my thread I had a lot of trouble with that a year ago. I think it was cause the amp and the light were on the same circuit and in the same close vicinity of each other. Halogen lamp. After I changed rooms never had that problem again. Experiment with lights in the ceiling or with different wall sockets or bulb types. Not sure but that may have been a cause of interference.

8. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

My Super Lead only buzzes if the TV is on, but I turn my amp on a lot more than my TV ;)

9. Don

Don New Member

Heck, I can hear dimmers without an amp plugged in! Seriously, I can hear the sound from the bulbs or something when a dimmer is turned down. Drives me crazy!

Apparently, I don't have enough hearing damage!

10. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

yeah, we have the same thing happen in our tv room in the basement. for that matter it does it in the music room to, but you don't notice over the amp noise lol

11. demonufo

demonufo New Member

Even with a dimmer flat out they are still in circuit and do cause noise. The dimmer itself can be quiet flat out, but the 150W bulb in my computer room actually screams no matter what dimmer setting until you change the dimmer for a switch.

Then of course there's the issue with energy saving lightbulbs (most of which are flourescent). The majority of these designs will not work properly with dimmers at all.

12. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    THey have come out with a special new dimmer switch for the CFR bulbs. Don't bother. So much EMI that it drives everything crazy...radios, tv's, computers....worse than a switcher power supply going bad. Course I bought it at a fles market, so it might have beedn a cheap knock-off but damn that thing was noisy. Harmonic city. If I could somehow switch it in and out of my front-end gain stage I could do squeals and dives without a tremelo bar and really without touching the strings...lol.