>

ABB Southern Rock Sound Project

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Plein Campagne, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

One of my favorites too. But I think my absolute favorite guitar tone (at least for a Les Paul) is Duane's solo on the studio version of Blue Sky. That first note of his solo pouring out of the speakers like billowing smoke is auditory bliss. :)

2. Cornfilled Screamer

Cornfilled Screamer Member

Amen. One of the woodiest tones ever! That was the cherry-burst LP as well. Dickey hadn’t given him the ‘61 LP/SG yet…

Kinkless Tetrode and Ps. 37 like this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

If you're not playing arenas... I'd stick to the 20 watt range.

I understand Duane used a 50 watt Marshall but he sounds pretty dang good though a Fender Champ.

4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

I loved Duane's tone on "Not My Cross to Bear". And like all the tracks on the ABB's self-titled first album, he was playing through a Fender Twin Reverb with JBL's.

Mitchell Pearrow and Ps. 37 like this.
  5. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

He already had his 1987 when the first album was recorded, and used to use both it and the Twin live. I am not sure if he would have used the Twin on the first album because, according to Galadrielle's book, he got busted for driving without a license and had to leave the amp as collateral because he couldn't afford bail.

RLW59 likes this.
  6. colchar

I used to have a Les Paul that sounded really woody, open, and airy after my friend who is a guitar tech did some work on it. He knew I was going for an Allman Brothers type tone (more Dickey than Duane) and he nailed it. That was a great guitar but unfortunately, as so often happens, some bills came up so I had to sell it. Sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do right?

After that guitar I didn't try to make any subsequent Les Pauls sound like anything in particular, until my current one. It is definitely a keeper but this time we went for more of a Page type of thing. He nailed that too.

I do miss that earlier LP though. Every once in a while I place an ad on our version of Craiglist in case its current owner sees the ad and wants to sell it.

7. colchar

I just came across a thread over on TGP about Betts' tone. The thread is from 2020 so it discusses current amps, along with guitars and pickups. Normally I wouldn't post links to threads on other forums, but since this place is listed as a 'sister site' over at TGP I figure it is OK to do so (if not, a mod can delete this post):

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...en-your-recipe-for-dickey-betts-tone.2124378/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  8. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Saw ABB head up Knebworth - only time they came to Europe. My biggest memory is the power of their performance. Not because they were loud, or heavy or whatever there was just a force coming off the stage that you could feel. I suspect it's a bit like Jimi - sure you can dig the records and everything but you had to see it happen live to get the full effect. I dunno how some people can do that. I guess it's the ultimate trick - if you can pull it off it's gold.

For my money - not that I have any - Duane rules the Filmore album but later on Dickie took it to another level - I've been quite surprised by some of the stuff I've seen on youtube - he really rips it up.

9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I've always been a huge Betts fan. The guy sounds like a celebration, church revival and just an expression of happiness in every solo he did. I'm 54 so i wasn't old enough to have witnessed those jams in Central City Park in Macon Ga but i grew up and still live just south of there. Over the years I've met people who used to go to those unannounced jams. They lived and honed their sound in Macon. They've always been a live band at heart anyway. The best live band imo. A true sound of the way southern life was. Don't fly mr blue bird I'm just walking down the road..... The words to Blue Sky paints a wonderful picture. In fact yesterday i was climbing up into my truck heading out and heard a bird hitting a phrase that was very Betts like. It's things in life like that that molds you.

10. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

you pretty much some up what I love about Dickies playing. Can really take the edge off things for me and help me achieve a better headspace.

11. colchar

My avatar should be a hint that I'm a huge Betts fan as well. Your description of his playing is a good one.

He is the only player whose music can change my mood. No matter how dark I am feeling, stuff like Blue Sky, Jessica, Long Time Gone, etc. can lift my mood. They might not lift me into a good mood, but they do lift it.

12. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Every day I get more confused.
    There have been so many conflicting stories over the years that I don't have strong faith in any of them. Some people say he was using a Showman or Bandmaster for the first album.

Galadrielle was 2 years old when Duane died. If she even remembers him, I doubt he was telling her gear stories at bedtime.

Given that the producer/engineer had a lot to do with the sound of the first album, I'm firmly undecided on what gear was used. The longest running, most widely spread story is that Duane used an ES345 into some sort of Fender -- but it wouldn't shock me if it was a Paul into a Marshall.
    -------------------------
    You can find long debates about whether Wheels of Fire Crossroads was The Fool, the Firebird, or the ES335. All I can say for sure is it was definitely Eric playing one of those.
    ----------------------
    If you can play like Duane or Dickey, any of the amps mentioned in this thread will get you in the ballpark. If you can't, you won't sound like them even if you were playing one of their guitars through one of their amps.

13. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I think this is a good example of what the posts about Dicky have been alluding to. How Betts develops his solo here is really interesting. It's quite different from many other times where he comes out real aggressive. But in this case it's the last solo and is perfect for the performance after Chuck's piano solo and Greg's interlude. At the Fillmore, Dicky was the first guitar solo and Duane did the climaxing solo.

Note how Dicky quotes Duane in his own way, though. Dicky is always in sync with Butch and Jaimo too. He feeds off the flow of the rhythm section.

Mitchell Pearrow and Ps. 37 like this.
  14. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

Apologies I'm taking this too far afield, but you made me almost immediately think of the version in the link below. Two players who seem to be operating in a completely different realm from most mere mortals. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    colchar and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  15. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

With the ABB its all about the live performances and the live tones, and the gear they used to obtain them. At least with me.

Ps. 37 likes this.
  16. colchar

I completely agree, but she obviously did a lot of research for the book and had access to information that the rest of us wouldn't.

I'm not saying he didn't use the Twin, just that he had put it up for bail and already had the 1987 so who knows other than those who were there (people Galadrielle would have access to)?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. colchar

These seem appropriate for this thread:

Ps. 37 likes this.
  18. colchar

Not the man himself, but I thought some folks here might appreciate seeing this too:

19. Cornfilled Screamer

Cornfilled Screamer Member

I’m in Macon! A little older than you, but it was a great place to be in the 70’s. My dad was buddies with Phil Walden and was always getting Capricorn promo records before they came out. Whole lotta good music came out of that camp!

The ABB wasn’t “right” to me without Dickey. His sound and songwriting were just too much a part of it.

Sadly, Dickey has gone downhill pretty bad in the last decade. Father Time has caught up with him - just as it does with everybody eventually…

Biff Maloy likes this.
  20. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Phil Walden - another one of the music businesses world-class thieves.

Saw a video of Dickie playing with his son last year. He looked pretty rough and was hitting bum notes quite a bit. Still - of the originals there's only him and Jaimoe left now. Sadly.