A trip down memory lane..

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by DaDoc, Nov 22, 2020.

1. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

After reading the thread on here about Uriah Heep's keyboardist Ken Hensley's passing, I got to thinking about the band and how much I dug them in high school..So I went shopping.

Scored a CD of "The Magician's Birthday" and it came in last week, when I plugged it in it dawned on me I hadn't listened to this album since the mid 70's, probably not since high school! I had an older friend at the time who had a house of his own, and he often had the album going on an 8 track player.. 8 Track, boy was there a lot of those around back then! The tapes would start dragging, and someone would roll up a matchbook cover and find the "sweet spot" to stick in underneath the tape so it would roll smoothly! :lol:

I had also forgotten what a great album, and what a great band Uriah Heep was! But something I never knew was that Ken Hensley was also the main songwriter for the band, and that he also played guitar.

Definitely time to build up my Heep collection, I guess "Demons And Wizards" will be next on the list, I would also like to check out some of Ken's solo stuff, which it seems he had also been doing since back in the day.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

3. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I can remember back in the day when I first heard that intro riff it sounded really complicated, the other night when the song started I just grabbed my Strat and started playing it..Not hard at all! Basically just an arpeggiated D/C/G..:D

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.