A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DSL100 Dude, Aug 16, 2010.

1. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

That's right. There are quite a few of us on here and the numbers are growing. After reading the recomendation I figured what the heck, why not start up a thread for all of our stuff.

:wave:

mypogo66 likes this.
  2. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Well-Known Member

If you didn't, I was going to. This should be a great place for tube reco's, speaker ideas, and whatnot.
    Lassez le bon temps roullez! :jam:

3. nedcronin

nedcronin New Member

Cool can't wait to get one myself.....

4. esquire

esquire Member

I own 2 of them . And I absolutely love them. Great amp ,great price. Would like to see Marshall make a 10 or 12 watt version in custom colors with a 12 speaker.And I have used them to gig out with.nothing bad to say.I heard that some of them rattle but not mine.I also own a 95 JTM 30 with 2 10's and a 1by12 cab . Another VERY underratted amp.:fingersx::hmm:I am running a Les Paul florentine cutaway and Fender telecaster thru a Digitach RP 500 into a Boss DD 20 gigadelay.Sounds great just plugged straight into amp with my guitar also.

5. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

I tried one of these out recently, and it had a strange, overbearing midrange bark. Is this characteristic of these, or was it just me? I tried several different guitars, and still, mostly midrange honk out of it. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't.

6. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

7. Gtarzan81

Current tubes

Orig:
    v1:Marshall labeled yellow 12ax7
    v2: Marshall labeled red 12ax7
    output: Sovtek el84

Now:
    v1:CP Tung sol low noise ax7
    v2: CP tung sol high gain ax7
    output: soviet el84 from marty

I may switch out to a mullard ri ax7 in v2, as i hear good things about them.

What are ya'll running?

8. AKADave

AKADave New Member

Speaker probably needed some play time. Marshalls are all about the mids though.

9. tonefreak

tonefreak New Member

I love mids.

10. RHP

RHP New Member

I just got the Class 5 last week, I like it so far. It's a cranking little amp.

11. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it could be the speaker. I should go try it out with a cab. I agree about the mids, but this was too wonky for me. Cool amp though.

12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

"Why not"? Why do it in the first place? Who cares, really. All you guys are trying to create your own little subdivisions, your own little clicks, and it's pointless. It's all Marshall, man!

13. Gtarzan81

Have you told the 6100 or dsl guys how you feel?

Youre taking all this a bit too seriously. Crank a marshall, have a beer, and relax brother. :hippie:

radiomatts likes this.
  14. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I couldn't be more relaxed. And believe me, at least people in the 6100 thread know that there are people here who have recognized this subdivision/click and have brought it up elsewhere (I know Marty hinted as much on a different thread, and I agree with Marty).

And believe this: there is not jealousy or envy on my part. I like those 6100s, Class 5, DSL, TSL, Plexis, Haze, JVMs, etc., but all these guys who want to huddle in their own little threads have a tendency to develop these hostile alliances and attack other members for stupid reasons. I'd like to think this time it will be different, but it's a tendency. That's all.

15. Gtarzan81

Larger groups naturally subdivide along affinity and commonality lines. Happens everywhere.....churches, local chamber of commerce, schools, ect... The Marshall forum is no different.

Any group can have an "us vs them" mentality. It has to be part of the culture, and come from the leaders of the said group, that the "us vs them" mindset won''t be allowed.

16. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

My feelings on this are quite simple. One thread that has info, pictures, help etc. and general BS is normally a good reference point on any large forum. A few "regular posters" will tend to keep it going so that it will be right on the front page of the forum so that other new members will have a source to quickly find.

I do not see this as any different then the tube topics or the various guitar topics in another section.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know that I personally have no interest in making "hostile alliances" with anyone. Like you have said, it IS all Marshall and we are all part of that great big Marshall family.
    I will say this. I would stop posting in the thread if it were to get the way you describe. Having a bit of back and forth ribbing between fellow members is one thing, attacking another member without reason is another.

I agree. I am not going to sit on here and act like I an king of the thread or some other crazy crap. I may have started it but the admins are the ones that can lock it, delete it, or any other option that they want to do. Now that it has begun all I can hope for is that it continues in the way in which I intended.
    Heck, maybe even get a sticky if it was decent enough.

And yes, I think both the Preamp and Poweramp tube threads should be stickied.

radiomatts likes this.
  17. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

I will agree with the other guys. Let that speaker break in a bit. I played mine through my 1960 most of the day but as soon as I played the combo speaker I was like UGGGH! That is not like the one in the store. I think it is a bit honkish too. I plan on doing an intense break in period this weekend with it. I will keep you posted.

18. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

I personally do not really have a need for this but at the same time it really interests me so I will be having to try one out.

Are there any tone issues like what is claimed with the bigger stuff?

19. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

I am bone stock right now but I think I am going to use my Martimus Maximus money that I had saved up for my DSL to go to this.

20. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

I know right! I am a C5 n00b too but I have been waiting for over a year to get one.

I am already working on number two.:naughty:

edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to the Marshall Forum!

radiomatts likes this.