A quick hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by machinated, Oct 23, 2020.

1. machinated

machinated Member

Thought I better introduce myself here - I've dabbled in and out of this forum over the years, its been a great resource to go through. Apologies in advance for blabbering on about myself, but thats what this is for, right?

I'm an audio engineer by trade, predominantly mixing records these days (but still doing occasional recording projects). Love all things gear/music, and of course growing up in Marshall there's a special attachment there. Still fairly early in my career but 2020 has been pretty crazy, having mixed my first UK Top 10 Album for Melanie C of the Spice Girls, an album for Fleur East as well as lots of major label projects.

Here's a gear rundown:

My favourite amp in the collection is my 79 JMP2203 (usually with Mullard ECC83's but currently with a Tung Sol in v1, a Soldano Hot Mod in v2, Sovtek LPS in V3.

I also own a 1977 Super Bass which I'm currently turning into a Super Lead. Mostly stock late 70's spec, but with a couple of carry over's from a 68 spec. Bit of an ongoing project but its fun to learn from!

Also love my 50w Vintage Modern, really underrated amp. Currently got Mullards in there, nails all those JTM/early Marshall type sounds.

and my other Marshall amp is my DSL 100H. Covers such a wide range of Marshall sounds and does the high gain thing well. I bet if they cost more people would love them more? Always holds its own against the more expensive amps.

Away from the Marshalls, I recently picked up a 2 Channel Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rev G - its a kind of transition model with a Rev F style transformer/attached power lead/8-16 Ohm impedance options on it. It couldn't sound any more like what you imagine a Dual Rectifier sounds like.

My Peavey 6505 was one of the first decent amplifiers I ever bought. Amazing amps, for what they do, nothing does it better.

More recently I picked up an EVH 5150 100w which has been recently modded to the Stealth specs. a bit of a modern classic IMO.

I have a Krank Revolution 1 - this one is the 2nd one I've ever owned. I sold my first one to pay for my JMP 2203. I have no regrets doing that, but I always missed the Krank a bit as they have a distinctive sound going on that no other amp can really do. Managed to find another one in great condition and very close in serial numbers to my 1st unit. They are both older units with the choke.

and the last of the big boys is my Jet City JCA 100 - another amp I've owned two of. I originally bought a 20w model REALLY cheap - I enjoyed it, but I really don't like how EL84's start compressing and folding in on themselves. It just made me realise I love 100w amps. Loved the first 100w JCA I had but managed to sell it for a quick profit. Ended up finding a 2nd one cheap and bought that, this time modding it to an SLO preamp. A subtle change, but again a hell of an amp for the money and a lot of fun.

Cab wise these are what I currently have:

Mesa Boogie OS 2002 V30's
    Mesa Boogie OS 1999 V30's
    Marshall 1960TV (currently 2 1991 Greenbacks and 2 newer Creambacks, I have some greenbacks currently going spare)
    Orange PPC412 1999 V30's
    Marshall 70's 1960 but with 2003 K100's
    Marshall 1960B 2003 G12T75's

There's currently a few others cabs here that are in my studio but not mine. Always things revolving in here. Recent-ish photo here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdxb6pn72bnb2f7/img_8143.jpg?dl=0

Guitar wise, I have a PRS C22, 1991 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Eastman T386, Fender Mexican Telecaster, a few basses, acoustics and random other guitars that are fun to play.

Tons of pedals, and I've gotta say Im a huge fan of Kemper profilers, Neural DSP plugins and a ton of other stuff. I love needing out on amps but plugins and digital gear have their place too and its fun seeing that stuff advance.

Thank you and look forward to contributing to the community here!

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Greetings!

machinated likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Wow, that wasnt very quick......but welcome any way! :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. machinated

machinated Member

I can go on a bit :facepalm: thanks guys!

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome aboard new MF’r!!! I have a 79 2204 JMP and its my favorite!!!

FracStrat and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Greetings from cal nice collection of gear . That jet city needs those big power tubes to get that soldano sound

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  7. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Welcome, bro.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome:To the forum
    Nice to have ya
    Cheers
    Mitch

MarshallDog and machinated like this.
  9. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

:welcome: to the forum

cheers :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow and machinated like this.
  10. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member

Hey @machinated !!
    There are many here like you !!
    Welcome !!

Mitchell Pearrow and machinated like this.
  11. machinated

machinated Member

ha amp siblings! Bet it sounds incredible.

Ha I spent a good deal of time trying different preamp tubes in there, and it was actually mostly the ones Soldano use as stock that sounded best to me. Currently got Sovtek 6L6’s in the power amp, Tung Sol in V1, Chinese V2, Sovtek WA’s in CF/FX loop, Sovtek LPS in PI. Very fussy amp with the preamp tubes but it came alive when it was right. The stock bias was also crazy cold. Curious to know what you’ve found to like!

Hello everyone else :cheers:

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I have a rat box soldano 50 clone with fender transformers PTP circuit board . High gain amps need the right tubes to get the right sound . I’m still dialing in that amp . You can use fender transformers for a upgrade

machinated likes this.
  13. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:

machinated likes this.