A note about those front and rear JMP era panels...

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Matthews Guitars, Jun 28, 2020.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

If and when I need one I know where I buying one now...thanks!

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I should mention that soon I'll be able to offer every panel type in plexiglas as well. (Actually Lexan polycarbonate...much stronger and harder to crack than real plexiglas). Even types that were not originally offered in plexiglas, if someone actually wants that.)

3. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Any plans for JCM800 panels? I imagine you are already doing JMP 2203/4s.

4. Matthews Guitars

Definite maybe. The issue there is that while every JMP Marshall is at least 40 years old and a large percentage of them could stand to get new panels and get restored to some extent, the 800s are obviously newer, probably in better shape, and probably haven't been modified as much as the earlier JMPs. So there's much less of a market for JCM800 panels at this point. Or so I believe. As the market is apparently much smaller, there's much less motivation for me to pursue it as of yet.

I'm still trying to complete the lineup of offerings for JMP era Marshalls, anyway.

Yes, I'm doing every known variant of the 2203/2204, both front and back panels, with and without front panel serial number block, except for the early transitional and the Canadian versions, simply because I need to find people who have those who are willing to compare my drawings to those versions and declare them good, before I say I have them available, too.

5. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

You have done some really nice work on these, those are very impressive looking.

the only detail I notice missing is the black dot. where the selector would go

50watt dot.jpg

the superleads have this dot too, but smaller dots on the outside of it. I assume it is a template for drilling it out for a selector switch. It has the smaller dots around the mains input too. My amps have this and I have seen others with it but I am not certain it is on all of them.

100watt dot.jpg

6. Matthews Guitars

Yes, I have the dots on some specific back panel versions but not on all of them. They are guide spots. And they apparently are easily rubbed off being so small.

As I do revisions I'll add them to new panels as time allows and research indicates.

7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

You mentioned the multiple versions Marshall had. My 78 had the JMP real close to the tolex edge. I always though it could have been laid out a little better - more to the right several ticks to the East..