A movement has started to get the Vavlestate 8100 amp reissued.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Floppystrings, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Floppystrings

Floppystrings Member

Edit: like to the petiton: https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...he-vavlestate-8100-amp-reissued.119164/page-2

Hello everyone,

There are currently some people getting a petition together, and making calls among other things to get the Marshall Valvestate 8100 head reissued. It isn't fully in the works yet (the petition) as many people are being contacted to help in the efforts including family members and former band members, but let me explain why this amp is so rare and why many people want it to be in production again.

So I don't know if many here are familiar with the band Death, but singer/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner used this amp on the last three Death albums before he passed away on December 13th 2001. It was used on, Individual Thought Patterns (1993), Symbolic (1995), The Sound of Perseverance (1998), as well as the Control Denied album The Fragile Art of Existence (1999). This amp has become very rare, and the condition of the old heads isn't always the best.

I have personally contacted Marshall and was told that a reissue would be in "low demand" so interest is needed before Marshall would consider making a reissue, which they said could be a possibility.

The amp is such high demand in the United States that there is only one for sale currently, and the price is often much higher than the original retail price. It's an item that rarely pops up for sale because it is so sought after.

At the moment, I would just like to spread word of the interest and demand for this amp, along with the history of Chuck's band Death. If there is anyone that knows how important the band Death is, and their impact on metal music or just can relate to a rare item being hard to obtain, I would ask of you to spread the interest in making a reissue a possibility.

You can read about the band Death and Chuck Schuldiner on wikipedia, which explain the importance of the band and how they helped popularize death metal, and went on to change into a more progressive metal band that went beyond just the genre they helped create.

For those that have never heard Death before here is what they, and the amp itself sound like:

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Quite a few bands recorded with the valvestates back in the 90’s. (Prong/Static-x), I’ve got a couple of 8100’s. They’re definitely a cool cheap amp for metal. Master Effects makes an 8100 in pedal form now. It’s called the Martyr i believe and is the preamp of an 8100 minus the tube.

3. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Navarro used an MF350 to record Jane's Addiction's Strays album.

His tone was massive on that album.

I'd vote for the revival of the MF series. Kinda like a Valvestate on meth.

The matching cabs are Monstrous!! Oversized and loaded with G12K100s. I have an angled cab, it's my favorite 4x12 of any I've played through.

:headbanger:

4. Floppystrings

Floppystrings Member

That is definitely a cool little unit. All of the comparison videos I have seen have it with an overdrive, and a poweramp which makes the total cost of the setup about as much as the head itself. The design isn't very complicated and Marshall has told me themselves that production costs have lowered, there may be a possibility of it being a signature amp, or maybe donating proceeds to cancer research, but this is all up to Chuck's remaining family and Marshall themselves, those ideas are entirely my own. I feel like Chuck having a signature amp 20 years after he passed away would be sweet, especially from a company like Marshall.

5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The K100's are ok. Better in a 412.

I find these cabs more lore than not.

However if Trelween likes them they kill.

Fuck Jane's Addiction.

Again I no not what I say.:drool:

The 8100's? Fux sakes.

Next time click bate. I prefer hot blonde ger.

RCM 800 and Trelwheen like this.
  6. solarburnDSL50

:facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Trelwheen likes this.
  7. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

:rofl::naughty::monkey:

Sapient and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  8. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I have the 8100 head & 8080 combo... they're unique circuits, but could be approved upon for sure.
    The first series was more organic/authentic sounding than the second round.

Maybe a Valvestate III ?

IDK... I'm still waiting for Marshall's response to the Fender Tone Master.
    Digital is the future, for better or worse.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  9. Floppystrings

Floppystrings Member

The lore for the amp is pretty strong, it's not just about the sound though but respect in a way to Chuck and his passing. I edited my post with info about the petition, we are hoping Marshall will in some way help with proceeds for cancer research as well because Chuck died of brain cancer very quickly at the age of 34, so it's more than just an amp to a lot of people.

10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The hell? Just because somebody uses a particular piece of gear doesn't mean the manufacturer is on the hook to finance research into the reasons the user dies. Sorry.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  11. solarburnDSL50

Oh shit dood! No disrespect to chuck. I didn't see any of that info or I wouldn't of posted. My apologizes! My bad!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Floppystrings

Floppystrings Member

No one said Marshall is on the hook to do anything. People like this band, and the artist, and the amp has become pretty rare. If anyone does buy the reissue it will most likely be Death fans that want to get the sound Chuck had, not many big bands used a $450 head as their main amp.

13. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I remember the Leprosy album...."Pull the Plug" was my favorite song, killer tune for that era.
    I also owned an 8100 or two over the years. I think they were the best of all the valvestate series. I always thought it would be cool if Marshall did that amp but with a tube power section. That "Contour" knob should have been used on more designs.
    The 8100 sounded great until you cranked them up....then they would squeal like a pig. I always wonder if that is where Six Feet Under got their idea for the pig squeal vocals, lol :)

14. Floppystrings

Floppystrings Member

No problem man.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  15. solarburnDSL50

You know I luv ya!

ricksdisconnected and Trelwheen like this.
  16. solarburnDSL50

Seriously! :eddie:

17. Floppystrings

Floppystrings Member

I have been getting a lot of people telling me about how much the Valvestate series sucked, and I tend to agree, but the 8100 sounds much better than any of them IMO. It sounds great for the type of music Chuck used it for.

18. solarburnDSL50

I agree. The 8100 is above the other offerings. It grinds real good and heavy.

19. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Chuck also used the 8100 on "Human". I seen them on the Spiritual Healing tour with JCM800'S and the Human tour with the Valvestates.

I personally own three 8200's which is the same circuit but double the power. To me the 82's kill the 81's. They were designed to run four 4x12 cabs. They also are stereo and have a nice chorus built in.

I'm not so sure about these amps being rare, I see them all the time on Music Go Rounds website for a good price. Maybe you should look there ?

I'm also a huge Schuldiner fan. I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times. He was kind and very gracious. Strange for the Godfather of Death Metal.

Good luck with your Perennial Quest, pun intended.

:dude::headbanger::dude::headbanger:

20. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i dont see Marshall investing the R&D to do this for a very select few fans.
    why would they go backwards? anyways, good luck with your quest.