A little bit of 900-love found on YouTube

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by johan.b, Nov 25, 2021.

1. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Not my first weapon of choise, but it does sound good... so this is a little reaffirment for you 900 players out there...

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

they've already jumped in price, here, in the states, a few years ago...

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

never heard a problem with any of them.

4. black knight

black knight Active Member

I believe we all evolve and refine our perception of good tone as we gain experience with the actual circuits in terms of Marshall amps. I got a chuckle when he referred to the 2203/4 (JCM) as the "cheapo" one. Not ripping on these guys but I would have to doubt that either of them have experienced a healthy, cranked, tuned in 2203 through at least a quad of good G12M-25s. That said, for certain tones like Michael Schenker, give me a 2205/10 all day, or a plexi, and I'd have a much easier time dialing it in.

The 900 DR here sounds decent. Give it to Joe Bonamassa and he could put on a flawless entire show. Me, I need all the help I can get so I'll stick with what I believe to be better tone in the plexi and early JMP MV family.

Edit: So I just checked out their channel and they indeed have experience with all sorts of fine amps. I'm still wondering though why more love for the 4100 than the 2203 for example. Different strokes i guess.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  5. Tatzmann

Tatzmann Well-Known Member

6. Johan

Johan Member

I’ve been rocking my 4501 for more than 25 years. To me, the key is in what they say around the 8:00 mark: turn up the gain on channel A. That’s how I use mine.
    Dirty Channel A: gain on 8-10, volume as needed
    Cleaner Channel B: volume on 10, gain to control volume as needed

For bigger gigs I put it on top of a 212 cab.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

I used one in my band back in the '90s. Was very annoying and made me break so f'n many strings. High gain voicing was thin - so if you (me) turned it down to a would-be nice rock crunch it was horrible. So, the first channel had a little gain so I cranked that up. Well, the body was there for sure but now not enough gain.

I went with channel 1 and played light for clean then banged on it real hard for "rhythm crunch". That's where the string breakage took place, ...every gig. Channel 2 I just cranked the gain and used it for lead.

There was no perfect ground and it drove me nuts.

Mitchell Pearrow and Tatzmann like this.
  8. Tatzmann

Tatzmann Well-Known Member

But Internet sez itz purrfet Amp in 2022!
    You must repeat! Nix use your earz! Nix!

9. Deftone

Deftone Well-Known Member

I tried a JCM900 DR 1x12 combo 10 years ago. Well aware of the negative hype back then and despite it, I thought it was a great amp. So I picked one up last year and I still feel the same way. Great amp. Now I have the JCM900 DR and the SL-X, as well as the JCM800 2204 and 2205. All of them are great, and I still love the 900DR. There are different things I like about all of them and I'd have a hard time selling any one of them.

10. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

Over time I've seen a lot of pieces of gear that were once shunned by the guitar playing community to later be sought after. It's amazing what 20+ years can do to an amps reputation.

My take is the prices of the classic amps are ridiculous at this point and buyers are looking else where for value. Combine that with the fact you can dial in a good tone with these things and they rock.

11. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

If you love the sound of a gained out Tubescreamer in front of a Marshall then the DR probably sounds pretty damn good to you (general "you")

I don't. I couldn't unload that compressed jar of beez quick enough.

The MKIII I'm much less critical about as it's got a bit more roar, more tonal variety, less high mids, less buzz, and less compression than the DR.

EDIT- in that clip I figured they were not mic'ing it- Sure enough using a 2 notes torpedo- which sounds completely different than mic'ing an actual 900 DR

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    tschrama and Tatzmann like this.
  12. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

Doug makes these sound heavenly

13. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

In my mind, the JCM900 series was the last series Marshall made that had (in some models) the classic Marshall tone, excluding those later Marshalls that were specifically made to sound vintage. (Vintage Modern, Studio Vintage, various reissues)

Deftone likes this.
  14. Johan

Johan Member

This is such a load of bollocks. “You” don’t have to turn the gain all the way up. There’s a lot of good sounds in a DR if you dial it in using your ears instead of your eyes.

Deftone likes this.
  15. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Its not where you set the knob :rolleyes: its the tone , timbre and lack of dynamics of the DR sounds "LIKE A GAINED OUT TS IN FRONT OF A MARSHALL". If you like the sound, more power to you.

Tatzmann and scozz like this.
  16. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

novice ,but a hacking for a few decades.

Oddly
    I actually like like channel B better.
    Gain anywhere from 3-8 Bass pinned -Mids 2 ,treble 2 low - Presence /reverb nearly off.
    Even at bedroom levels.05-1 it sounds wicked...still plenty of gain, no fizz. Not thin at all. Thats why I dont understand some setting and posts about the hate. Not just because Im somewhat bias, i realize that its not Marshalls flagship. But the sound is there , you just gotta find it. My 4100 has the 5881 ,and next to my buddies el34.. the 5881 sound fatter and richer tone through the 75's. I swear the Gain does way more at 3 than 9.
    However, these settings had to be tweaked as the volume increased.

17. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

I have a MKIII and I love it. One of the best amps I've played. I've had plenty of experience using DR's and I've owned a 2205 in the past too. To me the aren't that far apart from each other to warrant all the discussions. Things like different speakers, an eq in the loop, tubes, changing guitars or using a Torpedo/different real cabs can all have a drastic effect on overall tone.
    To me all these amps have the basic "Marshall" tone in spades and the volume needed to record or play live. That's really all that matters.

I also really don't get the guys that bash the can of bees sound. Never really even understood what that means. If you play blues and classic rock then sure, you play a plexi or an unboosted 800 and that's all you need for gain. Makes sense. Now If you play anything in the modern rock to death metal range you are going to want that extra "can of bees" gain unless you plan on getting it from outboard gear or pedals. When you play loud that "can of bees" turns into a thick wall of sound. If it doesn't then either your amp is broken or the tubes are shot.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  18. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

If a JCM900 SLX was good enough for Ace Frehley in Tiger Stadium then it's good enough for me.

19. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

The 900s aren't plugged in, he may have used them as power amps. The DSL is most likely used as there is a cable to the input.

I had a DR 25 years ago, can't remember that I particularly disliked it, but that was my first Marshall and I was like 19 or 20. Also I often hear good sounds on recordings, but that's recordings... May have to check one out in person these days.

20. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I even like the Dual reverb which seems to get the most hate. I found it a sick amp for thrash. The 900 has a tight bottom end.

Deftone and Neptical like this.