A Hand-wired, Chinese-made '75 Marshall Jmp 2204 For $900: The Wangs 2204hw

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 25, 2018.

1. ricksvintage

ricksvintage New Member

I have one, and my amp tech and I did some critical "Ultimate JCM 800 Mods" to it,put in Super High Quality parts in the key places, added a 3 way Switch to go from Plexi, Stock 2204, to Hot Rodded JCM 800, and this amp just kills.

I just bought a BlockHead JTM45 and a '73 SuperLead, so, I'll be selling this if anyone is interested, it's a LOT of amp, Quality and Tone Wise.

DSC_1275.jpg DSC_1281.jpg
    Rick Benegbi Business_Card_Front - Copy.jpg

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  2. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

It made me 'wanna Wang Chung.It really didn't sound like a 2204 to me.'Kinda fizzy,and well....cheap sounding with no fat arse bottom.Feed that thing some cheeseburgers.

3. ricksvintage

ricksvintage New Member

It needed a few critical changes, just like most vintage Marshalls, change a few VERY important things and it sounds stellar. I've owned over 100 Vintage Marshalls, from JTM45/00s/Plexi 87 and 59s/Metal Panel/JMP/and JCM800s. There was only 2 amps that didn't need anything, the rest were vastly improved with a bit of minor tweaking and tube swaps.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. bonzo boy

bonzo boy New Member

For the amp to sound anything like my old '84 JCM 800 2204 it would certainly need to have a lot of balls.

5. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Looks like they're made by local Chinese muso's who probably have to part with 2 years wages to buy a real Marshall/Fender. We had to do that in Aus. in the 60/70's & came up with some outstanding amps like Baez for instance. Probably about the same time we were shit canning Japanese made guitars. Doh!

jimmyjames likes this.
  6. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Putting a Marshall badge is poser all the way. I could never do it. Only a Marshall deserves the badge.

RCM 800, Bluesrock and tce63 like this.
  7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You've owned over 100 vintage Marshalls, so why the need to buy this piece of Chinese crap?? Excuse my French, I meant to say do-do. Or down in Texas we say horse $h!t. :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    RCM 800 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Make China great again

9. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Interesting sounding amp. The more the merrier!
    [​IMG]

10. kvxmg

kvxmg New Member

what mods did you do to the amp?

11. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Got one of these , it’s the best sounding 2204 I’ve owned by a distance and there’s been a few . Super loud and punchy with a tad more gain than a Marshall . Cost me £300 and is as new can’t argue with that now can you . No mods required guitar volume knob , tubescreamer , sorted .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    tce63 likes this.
  12. dragonvalve

Yeah you can't blame a musician for doing what they love no matter where they live. They are brethren as well! Since the money is flowing over there startups must be a lot easier.
    :cheers:

[​IMG]
    Wangs (Beijing Biyang Sound Electronics)

According to their website, they are as anal about parts quality as the next guy.
    More power to them!

But in China, competition is fierce.

wunhunglo - Copy.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ibmorjamn, Madfinger and tce63 like this.
  13. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Probably no different to the rest of the world. Small outfits having a go, corporations appeasing share holders @ consumer expense?

tce63 likes this.
  14. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Interested as I definitley believe Chinese production quality is progressing rapidly. I have to remind myself that just because it says "China" on it that it dosnt always mean crap. If you can overcome the stigma on the location it's produced and just realize it's made by humans on planet earth you can find some nice stuff.

It was before my time but my father said it was the same way about "Made in Japan" back in the 50s and 60s... Then Japanese quality nearly destroyed many indrustries in the US.

My favorite guitars are made in Japan, I've never come across a Japanese guitar that didn't impress me. I used to own a Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster years ago, it was nice but exspensive, my current Japanese guitars blew it out of the water... What I'm getting at is I'm sure one day Chinese products will be of impressive quality and we will look back at the days it was th laughing stock.

The amp seems like a great product for the price but I won't lie... Wangs is a HORRIBLE name and honestly if I owned it the first thing I'd do is rip off the name badge.

Bluesrock, tce63 and thetragichero like this.
  15. dragonvalve

But WANG is someone's last name in China. They're not worried about what urban definition it might have in another country.

If you didn't know what 'wang' means in America to some, it has a cool single syllable sound to it. Apologies for the alliteration.

it's just one vowel off from Wong.

In fact Wang is the name of another company unrelated to music.

Like the Korean last name TAE.

In other languages it means "feces."

Someone's first name like "Kichee" in one country means the verb for intercourse in another.

Let's not slip past the word "dick."

Like this guy:

[​IMG]

16. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

So... does this mean soldering is a female-only occupation in China, or is the guy in the middle (Mr. Wang, I presume?) China's No. 1 Mormon Family Businessman???

17. dragonvalve

In Asia females have that ability to do miniature space jobs I guess like being at a sewing machine.

Let's not over look that females were the best winders at Fender.

Abigail Ybarra:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tce63 and Maggot Brain like this.
  18. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Of courae, I knew it was the surname of the company founder and tottally get why he would use it as the brand name BUT it is still odd looking amongst English speaking markets. To have "WANG" in bold letters on an amp is off putting in my personal opinion, it may very well be shallow but it's the truth. I feel had he abbreviated or used Initials it would have been more aesthetically pleasing... Of course this is all superficial as I hear these are cool amps and my opinion means nothing.

At the same time more power to him for using it.

19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have one of here Pickups in my CS Esquire 55, and it sounds fantastic :applause:

dragonvalve likes this.
  20. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I never heard a Marshall sound like that. It doesn't sound right to me at all.

Which very important few things made it sound like a Marshall?

tce63 likes this.