a floyd rose : not perfect

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
I put on on a Strat in the 80's when they first came out. Dumbest thing I have ever done to a guitar. I absolutely killed the tone. Yes it stayed in tune, but it was completely dead and lifeless.

David Gilmour did the same thing and found the same thing I did. He quickly ripped it off and wanted the stock trem back. Only problem was that you had to rout the guitar to put the Kahler on. So he had to have a piece of wood cut to fit the hole. And there you have his famous black Strat.

I have not tried one since, so they might not be as bad as they were, but it completed ruin a good Strat then. Many of the Strat players on the circuit at the time did the same thing. I only met one guy who actually liked it. But he had a wall of effects, so you couldn't really tell as much on his sound.

Same here.

I screwed up two Strats back in the 80's..One with a Floyd Rose, the other with a Kahler. They killed the tone, and didn't really stay in tune that much better than the stock trems do when set up right.

I still have both guitars, and returned them to stock as well as I could..The one with the Floyd, (A '74) was easier since I used a Kahler locking nut instead of drilling two holes through the neck (Even back then I didn't want to drill two big honkin' holes through the neck!) so I just have four small holes in there, and on the bridge end the stock trem covered up most of the butchering.

The one with the Kahler was harder, (A '75) since there was a big chunk cut out of the body. I found a piece of ash that had a similar grain, glued it in, and then put a decal over the scar.

Live and learn I reckon..:lol: Something I did eventually change was to put a newer vintage-style trem on the '74, and it gives a better tone and sustain than the one piece pot-metal 70's trem since it's made out of better steel. I'm going to put one on the '75 as well I think. :yesway:

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
^^It just goes to show how different we are as players & all our experiences are different, I love Floyds & Kahlers, I've seen a tone of videos on youtube about certain strings not returning to tune with Kahlers & how to fix while I have two guitars with Kahlers & they stay in tune great & as good if not better than a Floyd. Its all down to personal preference. :)

axe arsenal

Reaction score
All this nagging that a Floyd makes a guitar go out of tune when a string breaks...
When that happens I immediately grab another guitar.
Who the hell keeps on playin' with 5 strings on the guitar? I'm no Keith Richards!

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Love my original FR.

You can dive bomb the strings repeatedly, to where they're hanging down around your nuts and it'll pop back into tune, every time. Throw it in the case, don't touch it, for a few months. Pull it out, its still in tune.

No guitar I own, comes close to staying in tune, like the FR equipped guitar.

And its not even close to being my favorite.

dreyn77

Reaction score
^thats the same as my KRAMER from 89 with a floyd pro.
brilliant just brilliant.

BUT it's got that giant lifesized nut on the neck. :( terrible over spec'ed part.
I hate them with passion!

I don't bother about the 'tone' of one bridge to another these days.
I don't bother about the tone of plectrums Vs fingers anymore either.

Flamenco guys proved fingers can sound just like plectrums if needed.

I'm not gonna spend my life worrying about the bearing edge of strings on a guitar. massive time wasting is the result of that study.

now day's I'm looking at what the bridge can offer me as a player.
and as a player I need to look at the music style and chuckout the merchendice selling and get with the program of fun & entertainment.

SO lately I've noticed the Floyd rose offers the player some 'downward' detuning sound for the guitar.
sure they can pullup, but that's slower to do. the string bend technique is WAY easier to use than the floyd is.

so how much 'de tuning' do you need to do? is it worth having a floyd on the guitar?

most of the time, it's not worth being on the guitar.

I think multiple string bends with suttle effect is something which is very musical and should be used.

pulling up on the bar with 1 string in use at the time, is useless with the floyd.

detuning / pushing the bar down, is a 'depressing tone' in the music and seems kinda silly thing to do.

the music is depessing enough with drop tunings and playing low on the neck etc... as is, without adding detuning on the notes as well.

put a capo on the second fret and play the song, 'crazy train' by ozzie osbourne.
notice how much more 'happy' the song seems to appear?

I think the floyd is over rated and over priced, and exployed by the sellers.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
It's funny. I hate the 2015 Gibson nut. I can't even play them. Like a brain lock.

I don't even notice the nut on the Kramer.

But, again... it's not close to being my favorite. I keep it, because I've had it, since it was new on the wall, of GC, and it's been everywhere with me (2 Indian Ocean/Gulf deployments and the Caribbean), and looks brand new, except the creme has faded to that yellowed hue.

I need to adjust the FR, she could stand some rough spots touched up on the neck. Pure speed demon.

I'll grab everything I've got listed, before I crack it out, though. Never leaves the case. I'll never get, what she's worth. So I'll just keep her.

dreyn77

Reaction score
good story, I agree!
My kramer has a sold maple body even. it's carved too.
some idiot took out the bridge humbucker and sold the guitar to a pawnshop minus a bridge humbucker.
as it turns out, that humbucker was actually a full custom seymour duncan, so no other pickup from his range actually makes that kinda tone.
So I need to find that pickup from the 80's to match the 2 still in the guitar OR I've gotta find 3 other pickups.

They were pickups made in 2 opposite ways. I call what they did, reverse reverse technique.

they were low sensitive pickups made for the high sensitive inputs.
so, you don't see those designs very often.
Custom Kramer sound made by Seymour Duncan.

But for some strange reason, people thought they were CHEAP and RUBBISH pickups, back in the day.

Seymour gave Kramer a brilliant sound all their own design.
distorted with MAXIMUM tone.
brilliant, just truely amazing sound.

Latest posts