a floyd rose : not perfect

stillrockin

Reaction score
They have changed it.
Mine was like this.
flatmountCenterLeft.png

But look at this one
74974d1374059417-ngd-1987-mij-squier-strat-kahler-tremolo-kahler-tremolo-b-n-pup.jpg

No rollers on a Floyd. A groove where the strings sit. I think those moving rollers and the bar at the back is where the Kahler loses all it's tone. My Floyd had really good sustain I remember. And I remember being surprised because the strings didn't got through the trem block, and the block was so small...but it still sounded good.
floyd+rose+original.jpg

what's this ?Khaler?

Bear R.

Reaction score
I love My Floyd Rose trem..no problems at all..ever...but ive been using one since the 80's...and am totally used to setting it up..

hey Mosher..I bought the ESP tremblo stabilizer instead..but waiting on my 42mm L shaped brass big block so I can install everything...here's what ther ESP version looks like..and here's the Block im getting..I also have the KGC brass Claw that im waiting to install..everything will be Brass and Black when im done..:yesway:

Attachments

• esp.jpg
    esp.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 3
  • floyd rose big block.jpg
    floyd rose big block.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
  • floyd rose noisless springs Black.jpg
    floyd rose noisless springs Black.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 3
  • killer claw.jpg
    killer claw.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3
  • esp 1.jpg
    esp 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

stillrockin

Reaction score
The knife edge on the floyds are not hard enough so they get marred up easy and that causes binding.

I have not used any of the newer version but the best ive used and still use is the classic Ibanez edge. Those trems have the best knife edge they are the best IMO. I think the lo pro like vai uses is the better version of the edge and he does all kinds of whacky full floating stuff with never any issues.

String stretching before you lock the nut is the biggest issue people have. If you just play the thing for a few days before you lock it and keep the strings stretched the are pretty stable.

I have 5 steinbergers and they are not the best, they are close but they have issues. Mainly the steinberger uses a single spring and instead of stretching the spring like the floyd it compresses the spring and that is the flaw. It loses its tension and fades. It also uses a soft tongue to compress the spring and they bend. All mine are doing it, eventually it will break. The bergers have a lock though so you can simply lock the bridge and un-compress the spring but then you have no tremolo function.

Steinbergers do sound good though all that mass in those tremolos and the zero nut really help with sustain.

why a lot of people say that Steinberger vibrato are great?
in tune
in eb or d or c# or b or more in f# !
i don't know
i have not a Steinberger yet but i like his work and thoughts about tremolo

stillrockin

Reaction score
suck it. :lol:

frx3.jpg

a Floyd "going out of tune" when you bend full chords is 1/2 the fun but it's also a technique that has a time & place.

for tradition stuff & especially surf guitar it's gotta be a Fender type trem (IMO) although it can be faked w/ practice.

you can float a Fender type but it will never sound the same as a Floyd simply because it lacks the mass.

hardtail- makes you think where you're going next instead of just wanking the bar when you run out of licks on the fly.:naughty:

but what i don't like with floyd rose systems is that the hand need a lot of pressure, tension and more than with my strat
so i don't want to break my arm just making a dive bomb

problems maybe with springs? fender/charvel ?
i don't know

what are the solutions here Kahler ? i have not used that yet

Goeldo Backbox ?
tremol no ?

i read that the problem is that these things add another problem ; more tension, harder to push the bar and other things like that

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
I love My Floyd Rose trem..no problems at all..ever...but ive been using one since the 80's...and am totally used to setting it up..

hey Mosher..I bought the ESP tremblo stabilizer instead..but waiting on my 42mm L shaped brass big block so I can install everything...here's what ther ESP version looks like..and here's the Block im getting..I also have the KGC brass Claw that im waiting to install..everything will be Brass and Black..

I think I might try one of those large brass blocks. I am happy with this particular Floyd Rose unit (though it has the stock, smaller brass block), but more mass (often, but not always) equals more tone ;-)

Bear R.

Reaction score
I think I might try one of those large brass blocks. I am happy with this particular Floyd Rose unit (though it has the stock, smaller brass block), but more mass (often, but not always) equals more tone ;-)

ya man..id do it..my ESP has so much room back there that I decided to install the 42mm L shaped Block..it uses up all that room over the Whammy bar too..excellent idea...i really cant wait for this thing to show up, and see how it comes out..:yesway:

EndGame00

Reaction score
That's the biggest problem I've heard with Kahlers. they seem to have more moving parts than Floyds, so there's more to go wrong. They seem harder to maintain and to setup, so if you thought Floyds were bad... :lol:

Also, it's more expensive than most trem stabilizers, but if you want a more versatile Floyd, just spend the extra $50 on a Tremol-No. You can set your Floyd to your standard floating mode, or set it to dive-only (EVH-style, my favorite way to use a Floyd), or completely locked.

They're finicky when putting strings on them.. I remember the guy who owned a Kahler-equipped guitar told me that the string where the ball-end has to have a certain angle and had to solder the angle to reinforce it (????) so there will be less friction, and the ball end has to be on a certain position.... Overall, it was a bitch... Kahlers are over-engineered, IMHO....

I've experience more string breakage on those than a traditional Fender tremolo bridge...

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
They're finicky when putting strings on them.. I remember the guy who owned a Kahler-equipped guitar told me that the string where the ball-end has to have a certain angle and had to solder the angle to reinforce it (????) so there will be less friction, and the ball end has to be on a certain position.... Overall, it was a bitch... Kahlers are over-engineered, IMHO....

I've experience more string breakage on those than a traditional Fender tremolo bridge...

yeah,from what I remember about them,if you put the ball end in crooked or with the hole facing up then it would strip the string off.
but that a long time ago so...:scratch:

Bear R.

Reaction score
hey EndGame..Over engineered seems like a great word for the Kahler trems....

some people swear by them..i don't know if id like 'em all that much..but I've never owned one so I really shouldn't say that...

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
#1-KahlerFlyer flat body mount-no springs (early 80's)
#2-Kahler for Fender HM Series guitars (mid 80's) "copy" of a Floyd
#3-Floyd Rose (obviously)

Hey bud the the top one is actually the new version of of the Kahler(pro or standard) the 80s one was more square & I liked it's look more.

kbc2ll.jpg

Poeman, the 80s & current ones still need the same routing, you can swap between either with no modification.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
but what i don't like with floyd rose systems is that the hand need a lot of pressure, tension and more than with my strat
so i don't want to break my arm just making a dive bomb

problems maybe with springs? fender/charvel ?
i don't know

what are the solutions here Kahler ? i have not used that yet

Goeldo Backbox ?
tremol no ?

i read that the problem is that these things add another problem ; more tension, harder to push the bar and other things like that

The trem "setters" like Goeldo and Tremolno do not add any downward pressure, only a slight added pressure when pulling up. It's minimal. You set it to only apply enough upward resistance to allow for it to not go out of tune when you break a string (or in my case, enough that you can use a DTuna). Then you lightly tighten your springs until it doesn't go flat when you bend a note if desired (I do this for live playing mishaps).

It's not noticeable at all except for the "zero position" having a positive stop.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The new low profile Ibanez Zero Edge III or whichever it is has an extra spring on the front side to keep in tune with spring breakage. I really like the low profile of the older ones and sustain is good, intonation is easier than tne OFR.