A Boss SD-1. Desert Island pedal with a Marshall.

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Neptical, Nov 13, 2020.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the minority, but I've never been that impressed with the drive pedals from the "good old days". The Tube Screamer is revered as "The" pedal that most everyone used, which is true, because it's one of the few they had. While those pedals were great, back in the day, there are much better sounding pedals available today, and why older pedals are so cheap (IMO). If those older pedals still check the box for those using them, that's great, they're definitely more affordable.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  2. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

3. marshallmellowed

I tend to rotate through 3 out front, Friedman Golden Pearl, TC Spark, and Xotic BE Pre. All 3 good pedals, but in different ways. I have a 2nd TC Spark that pretty much stays in the loop for a solo volume boost (or rhythm cut).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  4. FogDweller

FogDweller Active Member

Yep, that’s what I use. SD-1 purely as a clean boost (no gain) through my JCM800s and JMP 1987. That’s all I need, honestly. Sounds glorious.

5. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Any of the Marshall brand pedals any good?

6. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

It’s a classic combination! And with good reason !!
    I’ve been using mine at the weekend!

Neptical and Old Punker like this.
  7. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Same here, my SD-1 is the only pedal I have in front of my JCM800 Studio (SC20H), level up, drive at zero. Had it for a few months, it replaced my DOD 250 in that position. I found the DOD added too much bass with the gain at zero. SD-1 sounds great for classic Punk, tightens everything up to deliver a heavenly crunch. Fairly trebly but I just turn treble down on the amp. I also like it in front of my Mesa.

I am curious, do most of you use it as a boost or does anyone use it for overdrive / distortion?

8. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

Works wonders in front of a Kemper too. :)

[​IMG]

thunderkyss and Neptical like this.
  9. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Cool kids don’t use overdrive.:lol:

Old Punker likes this.
  10. marshallmellowed

The original Guv'ner is supposed to be good.

11. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Tonight I experimented with my Boss SD-1 through my JCM 900 SL-X 2500 head.....WOW! Ran it through my old JCM 800 (G12T75s) and it was fantastic! The amp sounds it's best in a real peculiar setting... basically just using the amps own voicing and letting the SD-1 drive it ( Max Volume, Tone 3 'oclock, Gain 9 o'clock). Very, very chewy and spongey . Fantastic for creamy leads. Maple neck Strat to-boot.

12. FogDweller

FogDweller Active Member

I have the Chinese made Guv’nor and it sounds great through my Laney combo.

Neptical and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Lately, I've been loving my SD-1 thru my MKIII 2500. Similar pedal settings too.

14. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

That's how i use my SD-1 Waza when i use it. Level up, no gain but i do favor custom mode. Just has more thump.

15. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Got an SD-1 and its good. I usually rely on the NMarshall amp sound without extras. The Origins need something to push them, if you want good lift from your notes played.
    I am going to look into the Guv'nor. Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  16. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Well-Known Member

Is it worth having an SD-1 if you already have a TS9 Tube Screamer? From what I've read, they are pretty similar aside from the asymmetrical/symmetrical clipping.

GuitarIV likes this.
  17. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Les Paul, JCM 800 2203 and a Boss SD-1. I can coax out all the tones from clean to mean all day long with that combination :)

I own and compared both. There is a difference. The TS with the symmetrical clipping is a bit smoother and fatter sounding, so I prefer it for leads and fattening up guitars with singlecoils. The SD-1 just has more grit and aggression so it's perfect for tight rhythm playing and giving a bigger sounding guitar some edge.

As said, when I take my 2203 and get it to a healthy volume level I just kick on the SD-1, then use the pots on my LP and the different pickups to get all the sounds I need. Sparkly cleans, juicy blues tones, crunch and even old school metal. Love it! :D

18. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Member

I honestly can't get along with any OD pedals going into the Marshall. Prepared to be proved mistaken at any time, as always, but so far that's the way it is.

Which is weird, because it sure is a classic combo, and I've heard it sound great for other people, heaps. Go figure!

19. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

I got one of those too, it was cheap and it's kind of an OCD clone. I really don't like it - too much bass, too gainy, idk. It's also very tempermental, sounds great through some of my amps and terrible through others, though I find it best through an amp that's barely more than clean. Since I have plenty of high gainers I would rather have the amp tone than the pedal's, and it doesn't make for a very good boost. I'd sell it but it was so cheap to begin with it's not really worth it, so now I use it with the tone down a bit almost like a fuzz, not often but it at least wasn't a complete waste.

The SD-1 cuts a lot of bass right off the bat so I think that's why it sounds so great as a boost, compared to the more traditional OD's like the DOD250 or MXR two knobber etc.
    I find the SD-1 is also a lot of fun since it's so bright for adding some treble to make a lead tone stand out a little more, or on some of my darker amps (the Oranges) it makes them sound a lot more open which is cool.
    I use it primarily as a boost on high gain sounds but I don't max the level like most, I put the level a little over half and I do use the drive knob up ~1/3 of the way. Then when I'm on a cleaner amp setting, I can kick it on and it's still a pretty nice low/mid gain dirt tone too. Works for me

I have an SLX 2100 and through those same G12T75's I agree, it's a really awesome setting. One of my go-to examples is playing something like Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion, I leave the SD-1 off for the chording/verse parts and the amp is perfect for that driven rhythm tone without being too loud in the mix. Then when I kick on the SD-1 for the breakdown parts, it adds gain and a TON of mids and it just nails that tone so well. It's really awesome.

20. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

I use the Joyo in two settings and it works fine in either: through the front of a JCM2000 DSL50 on the classic gain clean channel with the gain on the amp at about 7 while the pedal is in high mode, tone and level maxed out with the gain only at about 2-3 and it boosts it well.

The other way is thru a 2500 SLX with the preamp gain at only 3 and the gain sensitivity at 15, pedal then maxed on tone and level with the gain off entirely on high mode again. It tightens everything up and works well as a boost once again

Outside of those settings, it becomes unruly. As i said, i shouldve went with an SD-1 or a Maxon 808 but this is the first pedal outside of a floor processor or Wah that ive ever purchased or used in over 25 years. Always just went guitar to amp or used an FX unit