'86 Artist 3203 - Anybody ever tried one with a tube pre in the loop?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moose Lewis, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

Hey guys! I'm negotiating on a 3203 with the notion of either putting a tube preamp in the FX loop or having it modded with one.
    [​IMG]
    Anybody ever tried anything like this with one of these? Also, curious for any input on the amp... from what I've found to read here, seems the EL34 power section is pretty sweet - or am I mistaken?
    :cheers:
    Cheers

2. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

no but, they sound awesome as is imo:)

it's on my list of amps to buy.

medicjg likes this.
  3. dedecaster

dedecaster New Member

I got one 2 week ago !

Plug it with a 1936 cab.

Oh man, Oh man, For $ 325.00 I can't belived !:lol:

-Very happy with this vintage tone.

- You won't regret it for sure.:dude:

diesect20022000 likes this.
  4. diesect20022000

yeah i was trying to get one but, the guy wanted too much for it so i got something else but, they really are great amps. highly underrated. the amp would fool anybody into thinking it's all tube imo including live. it's got the tone and feel.

I think people are just put off by the idea of the SS preamp but, man it's an awesome amp, truly.

5. Moose Lewis

I PM'd ya diesect... you may have just answered my question, but how do they do on semi-clean crunch tones? I'm wanting it for the dedicated rhythm amp for my ABY live rig.
    :)

6. diesect20022000

It should make you happy:)
    If you don't like it let me know,lol i may be able to buy it off ya. I literally have had that amp on my to buy list for 2 years now and they're hard to find (only reason other than finding one that was too much) i haven't gotten one. I mean, i was one of those guys when my buddy said, i wouldn't know the difference who scoffed at him then i played it and it literally floored me. I tried hard to get it off him then he sold it for a 5150 combo.....not a good trade imo. the 3203 owns the 5150 combo imo and it can do crunch and cleans where the hi gain is right there too.....and of course it's got the marshall bite and pick attack.

I loved it, the gain knob's great too, it saturates till about 6-7 on the dial then it just compresses so you can get the whole gamut in that amp.

as mentioned in my email, to me it was very much like the DSL clean green 1 then on the lead side like DSL lead1 when the amp's are both in top form. it's literally like a 30 watt DSL imo. Loved it.

Moose Lewis likes this.
  7. Moose Lewis

Thanks guys! I'm gonna send dude an e-mail to set up a meet and crank (I'll take my Greenies along). :D
    :cheers:
    Cheers!