84' JCM 800 2205!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Neptical, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Howdy Marshall Fam!

Sooo, looks like I could have my hands on a fantastic condition 84' 2205 head (USA) for about a grand. Aside from my DSL50, DSL100, 3315, and 3310s, this may be getting near completion for me. I have a few Boogie Mark III heads that I haven't been using and may end up doing a trade on one. How does the 6550s compare to running EL34s?? I'm an EL34 man and have no experience with the 6550s so that may be my ONLY barrier at this moment. Please let me know why I need this amp as new member of my Marshall gang!

Thank you, Fam. :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Good luck! Those are some of the finest Marshalls Ive ever played. I used to own an early vertical input 2204 with the 6550s, one of my biggest regrets selling it. I also had a late 80s horizontal input 2204 with EL34s and I much prefered the vertical input models.

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I built two of them . The cascade input is a great design

Crikey and Neptical like this.
  4. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

I miss the he'll out of my 2210. Mine had el34 tho.

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hope it comes through for you! :thumb:

6. Neptical

Thanks my friend! Can you familiarize me on the cascade input? I'm not too familiar this far.

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Look at the 2204 schematic the first tubes is the gain stage v1 the output of the first triode is max gain what the input is connected to . It goes into the input Of the other half of the First tube the second triode . The 2204 is the first Marshall to have that overdrive circuit . It Is how to to over drive a tube .

Crikey, Maggot Brain and Neptical like this.
  8. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

That amp is all rock bro. and thats a great price. Its got great gain. I have the 2210 and love it. It sounds great with every guitar I have and with 2x12 or 4x12 it rocks. I have zero issues with channel bleed. Both channels sound good to my ears. I do run an eq in loop for texturing..

9. FogDweller

FogDweller Active Member

I’ve got 6550s in my 2203 and love them. You can’t go wrong with that amp.

10. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

2205's rock congrats!

Crikey, Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  11. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

6550’s have a better bass response in my opinion, it makes the eq a little more versatile.

not sure I’d be able to tell the difference in a blind test vs el34’s once the preamp gain is up tbh

12. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think you pretty much have that 80's Marshall tone with what you already have.
    I'm the last guy to tell anyone not to buy more amps but I think before you do a trade you should reconnect with the Mark III. Its a classic Mesa with a legendary tone.

Neptical likes this.
  13. Neptical

Thanks for all the input, fellas.

Right on! I'm not sold yet on it. My Boogie Mark III heads have a lot of sentimental value, plus they're matching cream and both Simulclass. I agree, I may be over thinking it and already have all the tones I'm looking for in front of me.

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  14. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, that the 2205 /2210 are - technically spoken - pretty far away from the 2204/2203.
    The latter were/are single channel full tube overdrive amps, and generally considered the most sought after.
    The 2205/2210 are channel switching heads ("split channel amps") that get a decent part of its overdrive from silicone diodes.
    Plus there are two versions of the 2205/2210 amps.
    From 1982 to 1986 (I believe) there was the first version. The circuit was pretty different with a pre-gain stages EQ for the lead channel and a diode network for overdrive just at the channel volume. These amps had a post phase inverter master volume.
    The second version had a more modern circuit arrangement with a post gain stages EQ but also a diode network right at the lead channel volume whichbis known to add a little gain when cranked.T he overall Master is pre phase inverter.
    Although I haven't played the first versions it seems to be consensus, that the second versions sound better, or at least can be dialled it way more easily.

Now with that all said both versions can be dialed in to sound somewhat close to the 2204/2203 types. But both versions 2205/2210 were designed to achieve a different, more modern (at the time) distorted sound.

15. Neptical

You da man, thanks for that insight! I'm still debating it, really. Right now with 8 Marshall heads, I'm feeling that the tones I'm curious about are right in front of me. This guy with this 2205 does not have it listed and is someone I know personally. Of course he will hold out for me until I make a decision. :D

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

My first Marshall was an 84 or 85 2210, it came with 6550’s. It sounded fine, the channel switching worked OK, the reverb was crappy. Then, in 1986 I bought a 2203. I sold the 2210 because I didn’t like the idea of the diodes, which in reality is not that much different than using a distortion box. But I wanted all tube overdrive. I still have that 2203 and it’s still going strong. No regrets.

Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  17. dro

dro Well-Known Member

My 2204 has 6550's run it through a B Vintage cab. Some of the best overdrive I ever could've put in my studio.

18. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I'm in another camp, regarding the 2205. My impression was not as glowing as some of the others. I remember the amp sounding thin, compared to my other amps. I tried to like it, as it was in really nice shape, and no, there was nothing wrong with it (service-wise). Just not what I was looking for. As for the diodes, they really don't add any gain, in fact, they clip the signal (sine wave peaks), reducing the signal, while making it more "distorted". Just my experience, always wanted one, got one, sold it.

Neptical likes this.