80s hair metal amp

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I read that you can do 80s tone with origin, and I was wondering if it's really possible, and worth the money
I read that you can do 80s tone with origin, and I was wondering if it's really possible, and worth the money
Yep , will definitely do it with pedals . You don’t need anything special , a clean boost ( buxom boost )into a rat is my preference .

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I’m sure the dsl20 does 80’s metal just fine without assistance , my lbx ii does 80’s metal just fine without pedals on the blue channel . But with the lbx even though it has a shit tonne of gain I still find myself backing the gain right down and using a tubescreamer , it just sounds ‘right ‘ that way . I’ve come to the conclusion that you need to do it like everyone playing 80’s/hair metal backin the day and generally that’s boosting a Marshall that doesn’t have enough gain with pedals . There’s just something about doing it this way that sounds ‘ right ‘ .

BarnabaFaryzeusz

Reaction score
I’m sure the dsl20 does 80’s metal just fine without assistance , my lbx ii does 80’s metal just fine without pedals on the blue channel . But with the lbx even though it has a shit tonne of gain I still find myself backing the gain right down and using a tubescreamer , it just sounds ‘right ‘ that way . I’ve come to the conclusion that you need to do it like everyone playing 80’s/hair metal backin the day and generally that’s boosting a Marshall that doesn’t have enough gain with pedals . There’s just something about doing it this way that sounds ‘ right ‘ .
So would you recommend buying origin 50, and boosting it, or just skip buying pedals, and getting jvm. Considering, that jvm is about 700$ used, and origin 440$ new in my country

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
So would you recommend buying origin 50, and boosting it, or just skip buying pedals, and getting jvm. Considering, that jvm is about 700$ used, and origin 440$ new in my country
I would ( and do ) boost an Origin , it’s more like how it would have been done back in the day . But as they say ‘ there’s more than one way to skin a cat ‘ .

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Also most store’s give you a 31 day return period ( in the UK anyway) if you’re buying new . Another good way to try stuff .

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
On my 2501 I turn the preamp down to 9 o’clock and use a ts to get close. The amps gain doesn’t sound right for whatever reason but this works loads better. Sensitivity is on max tho so still quite a bit of gain from amp. I’m guessing more diodes than tube is causing this sound but it’s as close as I can get

GregM

Reaction score
Get an sc20h ! Stick it with a 2x12 and either forget the pedals or stick a chorus or delay in there if your using single or p90 pickups .
With a humbucker I wouldn't even bother . Sc20h has more gain than jcms did back in the day , and definately giggable, but doesn't need to be .
Use volume and tone knobs on guitar to add or minus gain , happy happy days !
There are cheaper options with pedals , but why bother ? Chuck a tuna in front of the oven and it just screams tasty ,!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Im looking to buy my first tube amp, and I narrowed it down to 3 amps: JVM 410h, DSL 100 or TSL 100. I was wondering which one is the best for bands like dokken, ratt, motley crue. If you have other suggestions feel free to leave them, might consider other options if they are better.
Of the amps listed, for hair metal, I'd probably go JVM, only because it has more flexibility. Aside from those listed, my choice would be a JCM800 2203x ("x", with loop for me). Put the appropriate pedal in front for whatever 80's band you're trying to cop (TS, Metal Zone, SD...).

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend on an amp . All I know is my Ori50h is as good at 80’s metal as anything I’ve got / had and it’s considerably less folding than most alternatives.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
There are many Marshalls that can do the hair metal thing just fine, but the amp of choice for the hair metal guys back in the day was a JCM800 with a boost upfront. Other amps are also fine, but I find that there are slight, and sometimes not so slight, differences in the midrange, where the JCM800 is one of those Marshalls that have the most midrange, and where the midrange in centered in the right frequency range for that sound. If I were you, and had the budget to get anything, I'd just get either the SC20 or the 2203x and be done with it. No need to overcomplicate it, when the solution is so simple. If you want to sound like those guys, simply use what they used back in the day.

Latest posts