80s Guitars Addiction - Who else?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Filipe Soares, Nov 28, 2020.

1. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Holy crap man, I remember seeing that in the catalogs on carvinmuseum and thinking there was no way they sold many of those. I'd love to just *look* at it, I'd be so afraid of breaking that headstock. That's awesome... does it have a case designed to fit that ginormous headstock? I sometimes have trouble finding cases that fit even regular pointy headstocks nowadays I can't image trying to find a case for that thing.

I love my pointy carvin, same year as that one I think, '89. Wish I could find another one!

ricksdisconnected and anitoli like this.
  2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes, i have the OHSC. The neck is rock maple neck through so it's not anything i worry about breakage with. PITA to restring though. If i could get locking tuners that would match the existing holes i would get them to ease up on string changes but i will not drill any holes for anything. This ax stays stock.
    I also have a 93 pointy DC125 ( i think) with the modified pointy headstock and that plain jane babe is a shred machine.

3. AttillaDeHunt

AttillaDeHunt Member Gold Supporting Member

I gotta add some bottom end to the mix here, right after this:
    An '80's Modified Series 10 20190521_233212.jpg 20190521_233229.jpg 20190521_233243.jpg Orig Blk/Red Zebra under Blu 20190521_233257.jpg
    How about the classic '80's ICEMAN Bass (w/Khaler trem) & note the T-shirt!
    Attilla's Treasures 003.JPG
    8 string Custom Bich Bass 8stringBich3.jpg
    And a Gaggle of '84-'87 Ibanez RB Basses IMG_20150302_213622969.jpg
    Technically a '78 Mockingbird, but very '80's OnThePatio-1.gif

Sapient, Barfly, SkyMonkey and 2 others like this.
  4. AttillaDeHunt

'80's shapes personified, am I right? 20150904_183129.jpg and 20170118_153302.jpg
    EX series Ibanez late '80's model 20160426_085457.jpg
    Being a '80's kind of guy, I just never get tired of the bad-ass axes of the era!!

5. AttillaDeHunt

LoneWolf, DUDE!! You could easily go by "Serious McBad-Ass" me thinks, after going to look around at T.R.G. Nice site & Quite impressive actually, and I especially like the Snakeskin and the white splatter/graphic axes, oh yeah, and that sykk Ibanez, you know which one! Great amp section as well! I see why you could not post pix of all of the guitars, but that is the largest collection of Kramers I have seen in one spot outside of a catalog or factory tour. '80's addiction, or obsession, compulsion, whatever...It all rhymes with "too much fun", right?!

lonewolfsx likes this.
  6. lonewolfsx

Thanks man. It's the culmination of a decade collecting these things. I've been lucky enough to go from minimum wage in 2013 up to a pretty decent paying job nowadays and I think I was a little too loose with the money. Shoot, I still live in the same place I lived when I made minimum so since I'm not paying as much in rent and stuff I started buying guitars and amps.

I don't own everything on TRG anymore. I used to grey them out with a "sold" banner but then it started to look a little too much like a store page so I stopped doing that since I really want it to be kind of a showcase of the collection. I did really want to do a couple of youtube videos too. I just sold two guitars over the weekend so before I pack those up this morning I might give it another attempt - just a quick showcase of some of the details and stuff.

Also, fun fact about that Snakeskin Kramer, it's a cloth/vinyl wrap applied over the whole body, then clear coated in. Super weird way to do it compared to most others. If you look really really close you can see the fibers, pretty crazy.
    The white/splatter one with the pickguard I did after sanding down a beat up deluxe body in my garage. The white and splatter turned out great but I did a crappy job on the little triangles, I wanted them to match the logo on my website but I didn't give them enough time to dry haha.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  7. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

fitz288 :
    the kind you are referring to are the gibson modernes ,search on google or ebay for
    gibson moderne and u will find them .

fitz288 likes this.
  8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

cut a new nut. respace the bridge saddles

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  9. ricksdisconnected

some very nice guitars guys.

10. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Lovin this thread guys! Lots of sexy guitars for sure.

Here are 2 of mine, the black one is a Standard Series ESP M-II from 2009, the red one is from 92:

20200312_212758.jpg 20200312_212819.jpg

Currently in the process of changing the hardware on the black one to gold with some Suhr Aldrich pickups, should look killer once it's done :)

Keep em comin! I'm a sucker for eighties guitars and music :headbanger:

11. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Here are my 80' guitar's 16108085755672664820066534319483.jpg

12. ricksdisconnected

i have one of those Vanguards too. $50 needs some work done.

13. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I hope that concrete is made of sponge.

:facepalm: :rolleyes:

lonewolfsx likes this.
  14. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

1st off tons of killer 80's guitars in here! :dude:

I love 80's guitars especially Kramer, BC Rich, Charvel pointies and Jackson's. The only 80's guitar I ever owned though was my 1st guitar I bought in used in 91'. It was an 86' Cort Performer. Kind of was like a mix of a Kramer Pacer & Charvel knockoff with body, headstock shape and control/pup layout.

It had a set of old SD Invaders in it when I bought it and kept them in for about 20 years before modding it to change things up. I got rid of it a little over 2 years ago but have a couple pics of it just before getting rid of it.

The 86 Cort Performer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And my modern made for the 80's Rocker Gary Kramer Custom. A modern day 80's inspired Kramer complete with FR and GK JB/59 clones and the classic Kramer pointy headstock. Definitely has all the 80's mojo.
    [​IMG]

15. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

that´s a fine selection. I do regret selling my Vandenberg...

16. lonewolfsx

I wanted one of those really badly when they came out, but never pulled the trigger. Wish I had now, they are next to impossible to find. Same with the Russian Roulette, I thought the neck plate thing was dumb but the guitar was very pretty.

That drives me insane too! I just can't believe people put guitars down on hard/sharp rocks and concrete and then have the audacity to photograph that they did it lol. It might be small, but over time that's a lot of totally unnecessary scratches on the back. I get scratches from your buttons or belt when playing live, but if it can be avoided...

Edgar Frog and ricksdisconnected like this.
  17. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Yeah they are pretty tough to find now. I think I've ever only seen 2 up for sale in the past decade on the net and IIRC they both were a little beat up and not fully original. I've never even seen another one in person anywhere in the wild. Mine was bought new (last one for that matter) and still pretty much mint and all original. Only thing is I added a D-Tuna that can be easily removed back to stock. It also lives outside the case and is my regular E standard and drop-d player. So not a case queen, just well taken care of. :)

I agree about people laying guitars on concrete or even the grass. all I can hope for is there's something out of sight underneath seperating from the surface/ground to protect.
    :ohno:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  18. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

19. Petri358

Petri358 Well-Known Member

Anybody mention Tom Andersons?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. lonewolfsx

Wow those are some beauties!
    I've looked for them a few times in my guitar searching days but I never seem to find the cool 80s style ones I would want. Not that modern ones aren't great either, but if I'm going to blow $2k on a bolt on neck guitar I want something really special... like that green one with the maple fretboard, wow!

Petri358 likes this.