8040 ValveState40 Combo: Reverb Impedance question

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Phil E, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Phil E

Phil E New Member

Got the word from Marshall and the reverb tank mounted on the board in the ValveState40 (8040) has the following impedances: 8.5 x 1.5 x 1ins IP=319 OP=2575 VERTICAL

On the MOD reverb tank site they have 3 -- but they're listed as 310 in / 2575 out. I was always told that you could go into a higher impedance but never a lower. i.e., 4ohm->8ohm: Good | 8ohm->4ohm BAD

or is the 319 ~ 310 in the acceptable range? Would it be bad to go with a 600ohm in?

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

That first part is the size of the reverb tank . I don’t think it has a impedance rating you can hook it up and see how it sounds . Ohm rating is a DC value impedance is a AC signal value . A reverb tank has no parts in it to impede the signal . The difference between 4 ohm and 8 ohm is not much

3. Phil E

Phil E New Member

Thanks for the reply South Park, but I'm pretty sure that every assertion you made there is wrong. ;-)

All reverb tanks have Impedance values - look at the Product Info section here:

https://www.modelectronics.com/reverb-tanks/sound-samples-product-info

And PLEASE do not attach an 8 ohm load to a 4 ohm speaker (if there is just one) - not if you like your amp at least.

SkyMonkey likes this.