8 ohm or 16 ohm Speaker for 1x12 ??

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am seeking forum advice for a pending speaker purchase for a Marshall Origin 20 head.

I am considering purchasing two Eminence XTC112-BT speaker cabinets (1x12) for use with the O20 Head. I may also use these extension cab(s) for my Blues Junior and DRRI combos to maximize use/versatility of these cabs.

The XTC112-BT speaker cabinet features "Parallel Jacks for Daisy Chain/Speaker Out" to enable two of these speaker cabinets to be used in parallel. If I’m not mistaken, I assume that I can equip 2 separate cabinets with one 16 ohm speaker each… the resulting load when daisy-chained together in parallel is 8 ohms total. Is that correct?

If so, it would appear that I would then have two options for connecting both 16 ohm cabinets at the same time to the O20 head as follows:

1) Connect to one of the O20’s 8 ohm speaker jacks out through a single speaker cable to the first speaker cabinet, and then connect (daisy-chain) the two speaker cabinets together with a second speaker cable. -OR-

2) Connect each 16 ohm speaker cabinet separately to the O2 Head's two “parallel” 8 ohm jacks designed to accept two separate 16 ohm speaker cabinets in parallel.

Using Option 1 above, I could then also connect both speaker cabs (in parallel) to either my Blues Junior or my DRRI, by-passing the combo speakers altogether if I so wished. Both the BJ and DRRI combos have stock 8 ohm speakers. If my assumptions above are correct, I should then purchase one 16 ohm speaker for each of these 1x12 Eminence cabinets. As of now, I am considering one Celestion G12M Creamback 65W and possibly an Eminence GB128 or similar (suggestions welcome in lieu of the EMI speaker).

Can someone please confirm my choice of 16 ohm speakers for use in these cabinets with either the O20 Head or my BJ/DRRI combos?

Is there any benefit/reason to go with an 8 ohm speaker for these cabs? In that case I assume I would then only be able to connect one speaker cabinet at a time to the O20 Head or to either combo. Is that correct?

I appreciate the help/advice. Thanks all… Regards

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am seeking forum advice for a pending speaker purchase for a Marshall Origin 20 head.

I am considering purchasing two Eminence XTC112-BT speaker cabinets (1x12) for use with the O20 Head. I may also use these extension cab(s) for my Blues Junior and DRRI combos to maximize use/versatility of these cabs.

The XTC112-BT speaker cabinet features "Parallel Jacks for Daisy Chain/Speaker Out" to enable two of these speaker cabinets to be used in parallel. If I’m not mistaken, I assume that I can equip 2 separate cabinets with one 16 ohm speaker each… the resulting load when daisy-chained together in parallel is 8 ohms total. Is that correct?

If so, it would appear that I would then have two options for connecting both 16 ohm cabinets at the same time to the O20 head as follows:

1) Connect to one of the O20’s 8 ohm speaker jacks out through a single speaker cable to the first speaker cabinet, and then connect (daisy-chain) the two speaker cabinets together with a second speaker cable. -OR-

2) Connect each 16 ohm speaker cabinet separately to the O2 Head's two “parallel” 8 ohm jacks designed to accept two separate 16 ohm speaker cabinets in parallel.

Using Option 1 above, I could then also connect both speaker cabs (in parallel) to either my Blues Junior or my DRRI, by-passing the combo speakers altogether if I so wished. Both the BJ and DRRI combos have stock 8 ohm speakers. If my assumptions above are correct, I should then purchase one 16 ohm speaker for each of these 1x12 Eminence cabinets. As of now, I am considering one Celestion G12M Creamback 65W and possibly an Eminence GB128 or similar (suggestions welcome in lieu of the EMI speaker).

Can someone please confirm my choice of 16 ohm speakers for use in these cabinets with either the O20 Head or my BJ/DRRI combos?

Is there any benefit/reason to go with an 8 ohm speaker for these cabs? In that case I assume I would then only be able to connect one speaker cabinet at a time to the O20 Head or to either combo. Is that correct?

I appreciate the help/advice. Thanks all… Regards

You are correct that two 16ohm speaker in parallel will give you an 8ohm load.
Also correct that one could be used with the Origin20H in the 16ohm jack, or both could be used in the two jacks labeled 2x16ohm.
Two 8ohm speakers could only be used on the Origin if they were wired in series for one 16ohm load, but you could use just one 8ohm in the center jack.
I cannot confirm any requirements for the BJ/DRRI.
As far as what brand and style of speaker, that's a matter of personal preference, like chocolate or vanilla cake.

JohnH

Reaction score
Yes that all sounds completely right to me. I think 16 ohms for the drivers in the two cabs is a good choice to give you a wide range of options over several amps.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hi Fitz/JohnH -

Thanks for your reply/confirmation. It seems that 16 ohm speakers/cabs would be more useful and provide more options in my situation.

Thanks again!!

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I have an Origin 20h. I run 2 8ohm speakers (G12M Greenback and V Type) through a Radial Engineering Cablink for a 16ohm load. The Cablink let’s you use two cabs with the same resistance. Depending on which amp input you use, it will double the impedance (series) or half it (parallel). I’ve been using it about a year - it seems very well made and I haven’t noticed any added noise, but I don’t crank.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey BRM - Thanks for the info regarding the Cablink. I'm guessing the GB and V Type sound great together. Have fun!

ampeq

Reaction score
I like to run 8 ohm speakers in my 2-12" cabs for a 16 ohm load. Then in a 1-12" cab or combo amp I use a 16 ohm speaker. This way I ALWAYS use a 16 ohm load, no fluck up's.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Hi heavypick, the G12M and V-Type do seem to compliment each other well. I A/B’d them a couple years ago and generally preferred the V-Type which seemed a little smoother to me.

I purchased a second 8 ohm V-Type a couple months ago with plans to build a 2x12 cab this summer - approximately 26” x 26”, convertible back, series wired (16 ohm), slant baffle with diagonal speaker arrangement. I use spade type connectors so should be easy to try the two V-Types and G12M. I use 1”x12” pine for body and plywood for front and back (1/2” seems a good thickness for baffle while helping to keep weight down).

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey all - Thanks for the replies/advice.

BRM - Your cab/speaker project sounds great! I too think the G12M and V-Type would make a good pairing in a 2x12. I gotta say, trying to select the right speakers/cabs by listening to youtube comparisons is a tough nut to crack. I'm grateful for advice from forums like the MF. The best we all can hope for is to make a good first choice and save some $$...no easy feat!! But I've resigned to believe this is our chosen path and the dollars will be spent in the quest...LOL!!

Latest posts