76 Superbass

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Daniel.S, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

Still looking. In the mean time, I'd like to know if adding a Master volume would be beneficial?
    I only play at home so I would like some decent distortion without killing myself. :)

2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

For sound quality and not messing an amp about I would get an attenuator.

fat_lenny likes this.
  3. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

I've had a look at the variety of attenuators on the market, but I'm unsure on what to go for if I go that route.

4. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

I agree. Lots of options and threads on the topic you can search. I’ve used an aracom and a power brake safely for years but there are other options.

Daniel.S and neikeel like this.
  5. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Ive got both a Rivera Rockcrusher and a Bugera PS1.

Different ends of the attenuator spectrum but both do a solid job and both have their pro’s and con’s.

I wouldn’t be modifying that amp, that’s for sure.

Daniel.S and neikeel like this.
  6. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

The Rivera seems to be a popular one as well as the Universal OX one.
    Alright, I won't be modding it then. Haha!
    I've only purchased new amps and haven't had any experience with vintage ones...

7. Fusedbrain

Fusedbrain Active Member

I'm just wondering if you are looking at the wrong amp?
    Going by your avatar, and the interest in a superbass, I suspect you may be a Tool fan. I just want to point out a few things:
    1) AJ blends his SuperBass with a Diezel VH4, with the majority of the distortion coming from the Diezel and the SuperBass blended in for punch and clarity.
    2) Superbass amps are ungodly loud, so an attenuator will be necessary.
    3) My experience with these amps has been that into an attenuator or with a master vol mod, the overdrive tones are not stellar. Allman Bros classic rock light overdrive is cool, but if you really push the amp for more dirt than that, the tone falls apart because there is too much bass in the pre-amp.
    If you really want a vintage amp, I'd suggest looking at a 2204 or 2203 instead.
    If you are after Tool tones, you may be better off forgetting about the vintage amp thing and look at more modern designs.
    Just a thought.......:)

Daniel.S likes this.
  8. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

So I'm better off just using my DSL40c then?
    I've got the Diezel VH4 already ;)

9. machinated

machinated Member

I recently picked up a 76/77 Super Bass that I’m in the process of modding to be similar to Adam Jones’s specs.

His has been modded to a Super Lead - you may be better off buying a Super Lead and tweaking that. You may need to adjust some values as I believe he still has some components at stock Super Lead, and others carried over from the Super Bass. Another thing to bear in mind is they are extremely loud. PPIMV mods are popular but IMO compromise the tone when in use.... they just always sound better maxed out to me so become a bit redundant. I like attenuators but they have pro’s and cons too. I’m using a ReactIR which has a lot of features and sounds good.

10. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I sold a '77 Superbass for that a few years back.... yours isn't a home market (UK) amp that is now in the US, is it?

11. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

Be prepared to be changed forever. Your MV amps might just collect dust after you play a super bass with the volume at~ 7 and a Slight boost.

12. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

Hmm a lot of information to sway me both ways.
    Maybe I'll hold out and just stick with the DSL for now....

13. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The 71 SB we modded for my son was shooting partly for Jone’s Tool tones. I left the output section alone apart from Winged C 6550s so tweaked bias circuit and 120k grid leaks. The preamp is modded to have a V0 as cascaded 2203 with 0.68/2k7 and 8k2 on the cathodes and 0.022 couplers. V1 is stock SB. Iirc there is 470k/1800pF treble peaked, 1M pot with 180pF ‘bright’ cap on the pot. The 470k mixer is un bypassed. He runs it with a Motherload elemental one output using the cab sim mixed with SM57 on a 68 basket weave B cab with T1511 and T1221 ‘prerolas’ into the board. Using Les Paul with BB3 on the bridge pup it is snarling but lots of lows and grind. So much so I’ve made a copy of it!!

CoyotesGator likes this.
  14. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

That’s way over my head

15. MatFnEhUK

MatFnEhUK Member

I admire your attempt to achieve Adam Jones’ tone. I’m a big Tool fan and Adam’s tone is the best I’ve ever heard. Good luck my friend!

Daniel.S likes this.