'73 red?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Sam hill, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Sam hill

Sam hill New Member

Just realized I had this question in the wrong place. So here goes.
    I have been asked to return a Marshall 4x12 to it's original specs, but have only found conflicting info thus far.
    The cab is loaded with UK greenbacks, three dated as Dec '72 and one dated Jan '73. It has a plastic handles, no corners, gold piping top and bottom, and bronzed casters.
    Now the odd part, the tolex is red and the grill cloth is salt and pepper basket weave with white piping. So far I've found conflicting info about this period, Which is why I'm turning to you guys.
    The baffle has definitely been messed with (3 or 4 different types of screws holding it) but the tolex doesn't show any signs of being replaced.
    My guess is that the grill should be the large checker pattern, but was red even an option at this date?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Yes, red was available at that time. Apparently red has always been an option since about 1968.

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Original cloth for that would be large check. The rest would be correct spec. (including the wheels)

5. Sam hill

Sam hill New Member

Awesome, thanks.

6. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

That cab has been totally refurbished already. The red tolex and basketweave are not original. The castors and speakers are possibly original and appear to be period correct for it. However it is very easy to buy period correct parts for cabs online thesedays.

It is possible it had a basketweave grill originally, if it's an early to mid 71 cab with non original speakers. 71 was a funny transitional year for cabs.

Is the back panel made from ply or mdf?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. Sam hill

Sam hill New Member

The back panel is particle board.
    Is there something that indicates the tolex or speakers would not be original to the cab?

8. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

With the tolex it is just too clean and new looking, also the cuts are not correct on the inside. The wooden strips should be covered over, and Marshall would overlap the tolex so that no bare wood showed through.

Vintage red tolex looks different to modern red tolex too, it is more vivid. Compare the colour of yours with the basketweave cab photo above.

As for the speakers, yes they could be original. I just think it is more questionable when a cab has been fully restored like that.

It is a good restoration though. Not easy to get them front corner seams as perfect as that. Personally I would leave it as it is rather than mess with it anymore.

ljs and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Sam hill

Sam hill New Member

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.