6L6 preferences?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by iron broadsword, Dec 29, 2015.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

I'm gonna retube my mesa dual rec pretty soon, and am wondering what you guys have tried in these things or in your other amps? I ran 6l6's in my jcm900 and liked the tung sol's, but liked the sovtek's WXT+'s better. Good price too, I thought.

I already have an EL34 amp so looking to stick with 6L6. The amp is not used for power amp breakup so I know choice of tubes is less critical, but just interested in some direction from you guys.

2. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

The Sylvania STR387's that Peavey used are nice tubes. Big bottom end with no mud. I also like the older Sylvania black plate 6L6GC's.

For current production tubes, I had a set of JJ 6L6GC''s that I liked pretty well. The Sovtek 5881WXT Is a smooth tube with great lows, too.

3. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    My Fender Twin2 has Cryogenic winged =C='s in it and they sound great. I rolled a few pairs of 6L6GC's in my Peavey Classic. Ruby, TAD, JJ and Winged =C=. Ended up with the =C='s again! but the Ruby tubes were a close second. :yesway:

4. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Regarding Mesa 6L6, can any of you tell me how the bias would match up between a Mesa 10 AC YEL and a 10 AC BLU? What is the most critical part of that code system if you want to try and match up for biasing?