5150 Iconic....Wow!

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I just played one tonight, a combo at GC !
I am blown away . I didn’t mess with the settings to much. It was a combo.
Damn price vs the Origin 50 now at $1000
hands down no question the 5150 Icon.
It sounded so good. I was in sort of in a hurry , I just stopped to see if they ever got any tubes amps in and there they were. I had 40 min. drive to work but that was cool.

The bigger 80w Head looks killer , bet that thing could sterilize your enemy at 50 yards. Lol
I don’t think anyone even played that one yet.

Last edited:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounded so good. I was in sort of in a hurry , I just stopped to see if they ever got any tubes amps in and there they were. I had 40 min. drive to work but that was cool.

The bigger 80w Head looks killer , bet that thing could sterilize your enemy at 50 yards. Lol
I'm curious how the matching 412 with specifically voiced speakers sound?

My 5153 412 rips with it. It's loaded with EVH greenies at 100 watts.

The Iconic 412 rates at 160 watts. I may get one. It's MDF mostly but I'm ok with that.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

The Iconic 412 rates at 160 watts. I may get one. It's MDF mostly but I'm ok with that.
The combo is closed back with the special Celestion , it’s sounds great . I didn’t even know it had 1/4 power , have you used the emulated out ? The harmonics are easy.
I played a Epiphone LP Muse , Metallic Pearl I guess would be the color.

I might be able to play that but you they would have cow if you cranked it. Lol

cccc

Reaction score

Many YouTube videos don't do the Iconic combo justice . You really need to play one as you did to know if it's a good pick for you.

PowerTube44

Reaction score

I heard somewhere that the overall box is MDF, but the baffles between speakers are actual plywood. I *think* it was in an interview with James Brown on YouTube.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The combo is closed back with the special Celestion , it’s sounds great . I didn’t even know it had 1/4 power , have you used the emulated out ? The harmonics are easy.
I played a Epiphone LP Muse , Metallic Pearl I guess would be the color.

I might be able to play that but you they would have cow if you cranked it. Lol
I've never used an amps emulated out. Just don't like the sound plus I can play as loud as I want here at home. I'm playing full 80 watts at noon on both volumes. Love the thump in my tone hehee.

Yah quarter power is a great sound too. Good way to give the ears a volume break without changing my volume knobs.:agreed:

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well, I have an update. I went to my local GC this evening and tried out the Iconic for the third time. But unlike the first two visits, I had the sense to take one of my own guitars this time. The first two times, I went through five or six of their guitars and every single one had rusted-out strings and grungy frets. And typically, if it has a locking trem, it'll be out of tune, locked down, and the fine tuners will be out of range for tuning and I have to ask them for a wrench. I digress.

The amp sounds good. For a straight out of the box tube amp, it's among the best I've ever heard. Clear, great definition, punchy.

To be honest, in its native form it doesn't sound as good as my JCM 2000 DSL 100 *WITH* the Boss GT-100 and a couple of outboard pedals. Having said that, I'll bet it would sound incredible beyond all description with my add-ons. If I were on a deserted island and I could have only one amp, the Iconic would be the one. So most likely, I'll wind up getting one.

But it will NOT be from Guitar Center. Here's why.

When I walked up to it, it had a power cable plugged in, but no speaker cable. I couldn't find one nearby, so I went to the main desk to ask. The guy told me to see if I could find one in the Used room. I did. But, I can't help but wonder how many times someone powered the Iconic on with no speaker load.

I flagged a salesman over and pointed out that their price tag says, "We will beat any advertised price." So I questioned him about it. I said that it lists for $999.99 everywhere else, as well. Can they beat that price? Nope.

Then I asked if there was any discount for this being an open box/floor demo. He said, "Yeah, I'm sure we can knock some off." So he went to ask a manager. He came back and said, "The manager says we'll have to sell it for the full retail price of $999.99, because it's still new and in good shape." I thanked him and gave up, which is my usual result of a GC visit. If I get one, it'll be elsewhere.

But I have to ask... the whole thing about powering on a tube amp with no load and damaging the output transformer. If and when this happens, is it a sudden thing, or can damage be done over time?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Well, I have an update. I went to my local GC this evening and tried out the Iconic for the third time. But unlike the first two visits, I had the sense to take one of my own guitars this time. The first two times, I went through five or six of their guitars and every single one had rusted-out strings and grungy frets. And typically, if it has a locking trem, it'll be out of tune, locked down, and the fine tuners will be out of range for tuning and I have to ask them for a wrench. I digress.

The amp sounds good. For a straight out of the box tube amp, it's among the best I've ever heard. Clear, great definition, punchy.

To be honest, in its native form it doesn't sound as good as my JCM 2000 DSL 100 *WITH* the Boss GT-100 and a couple of outboard pedals. Having said that, I'll bet it would sound incredible beyond all description with my add-ons. If I were on a deserted island and I could have only one amp, the Iconic would be the one. So most likely, I'll wind up getting one.

But it will NOT be from Guitar Center. Here's why.

When I walked up to it, it had a power cable plugged in, but no speaker cable. I couldn't find one nearby, so I went to the main desk to ask. The guy told me to see if I could find one in the Used room. I did. But, I can't help but wonder how many times someone powered the Iconic on with no speaker load.

I flagged a salesman over and pointed out that their price tag says, "We will beat any advertised price." So I questioned him about it. I said that it lists for $999.99 everywhere else, as well. Can they beat that price? Nope.

Then I asked if there was any discount for this being an open box/floor demo. He said, "Yeah, I'm sure we can knock some off." So he went to ask a manager. He came back and said, "The manager says we'll have to sell it for the full retail price of $999.99, because it's still new and in good shape." I thanked him and gave up, which is my usual result of a GC visit. If I get one, it'll be elsewhere.

But I have to ask... the whole thing about powering on a tube amp with no load and damaging the output transformer. If and when this happens, is it a sudden thing, or can damage be done over time?
I like your review with the one exception , I have heard one DSL 2000 I liked and it was a member on here ( can’t remember who) he changed out the output transformer so it had more balls. I think he added a choke

I had one for a while , my old DR would have buried it. Now that is not being said to start crap just my opinion. The DR is very strong .

I think the only amp I would prefer over the Iconic would be a Friedman but I am not on a bandwagon with any of them.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I like your review with the one exception , I have heard one DSL 2000 I liked and it was a member on here ( can’t remember who) he changed out the output transformer so it had more balls. I think he added a choke

I had one for a while , my old DR would have buried it. Now that is not being said to start crap just my opinion. The DR is very strong .

I think the only amp I would prefer over the Iconic would be a Friedman but I am not on a bandwagon with any of them.
But take note... I said I like the JCM with my effects better than the Iconic "in the raw." If it were the JCM vs the Iconic straight-up, the Iconic wins, hands down.

That's why I think the Iconic will sound incredible with my own "toys" added here at home.

EDIT: Excuse my ignorance, but what's a DR?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
But take note... I said I like the JCM with my effects better than the Iconic "in the raw." If it were the JCM vs the Iconic straight-up, the Iconic wins, hands down.

That's why I think the Iconic will sound incredible with my own "toys" added here at home.

EDIT: Excuse my ignorance, but what's a DR?
Oh the JCM 900 Dual Reverb. It’s one bad mother !

Sir Don

Reaction score
I just received my Iconic 80 watt head last Friday.

I'm running it through a 1960B cabinet with 75's. This thing puts out an incredible heavy tone. Not for everybody but it suits me. The clean channel is tonally very rich and smooth.

I'm using my GT1000 4CM which takes it to another level altogether.

Like solarburnDSL50 has said, this amp is a lot of fun to play through.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received my Iconic 80 watt head last Friday.

I'm running it through a 1960B cabinet with 75's. This thing puts out an incredible heavy tone. Not for everybody but it suits me. The clean channel is tonally very rich and smooth.

I'm using my GT1000 4CM which takes it to another level altogether.

Like solarburnDSL50 has said, this amp is a lot of fun to play through.
Congratz my man! Enjoy.:eddie:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon was today. :agreed:

Ordered the matching Ivory 412. We'll see how tuned to this amp they are and if that means more ear candy for me.

My 5153 EVH 412 already rips with it. I'm a 412 junky.:drool:

Last edited:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Ivory 5150 cab this morning. Sounds great right out of the box. Came with wheels included. Rolled it to its designated spot(next to 5153 412)then rocked it. At VOLUME.:D

Looks great and sounds great. I'll be busy breaking them speakers in. Let ya know how it sounds after the dust settles.:cheers:

Last edited:

MGW1GTR

Reaction score
Got the Ivory 5150 cab this morning. Sounds great right out of the box. Came with wheels included. Rolled it to its designated spot then rocked it. At VOLUME.:D

Looks great and sounds great. I'll be busy breaking them speakers in. Let ya know how it sounds after the dust clears.:cheers:
I bet it sounds Amazing \../

pittbull

Reaction score
Just had a chat with a tech at EVH/Fender and he was telling me the James Brown(amp designer)came aboard( EVH/Fender) in 2019 and was in the designing phase of the Iconic since then

Latest posts