4x12 Greenback sound in a 1x12 ?

Mcentee2

Reaction score
This must have been asked before, but I can't find quite so direct an example!

Given that the traditional Marshall rock tone is a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks, the blend of the two (format/speaker) fills out the greenback bass response, gives it some push, allowing the top end to shine as well, poss through some phasing phenomena (amongst prob loads of other factors)

Using a single greenback in a 1x12 has its uses, but overall you get exactly what a greenback is, woolly lows, very middy (nasal?), early breakup, low power handling

That might be fine for your purposes, so it isn't a critique.

Given I have a single 1x12 cab from Lean Audio (Montage), well built, good size and materials.

Which other speakers can get close to, or are described as, that greenback 4x12 tonality with a 50w Plexi head.

Am very aware they are different things, so not likely to get exactly, but some tonal qualities must get close ?

The Creamback 65 is described as a higher power greenback, but still for either 4x12 or 2x12 cabs with the same basic greenback tone?

The Creamback 75 might be closer as it is an H magnet giving that extra bass that is missing from not being in a 4x12 cab ?

The g12-65 is similar to the above I think?

I had a Heritage g12H55 that I liked in a 1x12, maybe the 75 ?

Others like the V30 I will steer clear of form various moans about ice pick etc !!

If it's a stupid question please say so as well of course, am still learnin' !!

AndyD

Reaction score
I’ve had great success with a 1933 cab loaded with a 444 coned 1980 G12-65. The ported cab gives phenomenal tight bass which allows the mids and highs to shine also. I say this as an owner of a 2045 cab loaded with pulsonic greenbacks and a 1960b cab. Hope that helps.

jimmyo

Reaction score
I have a 50w Splawn 1x12 combo that has a recent Creamback 65 watt in there. It’s not a greenback but sounds great and if you like the greenback tone you will likely like this better than other similar wattage speaker options like a V30, G12T-75 etc. I’ve found it to have a nice clarity and balanced tone that sits in a mix with the band pretty well.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Scumback makes various greenback types, in various wattages, & also cones (55/75hz, etc)...

WGS also makes some higher wattage speakers w/ greenback characteristics.

You probably have to look used, but there was a 50 watt Lynchback, by Celestion. People are wanting premium/high prices for them though...

Mcentee2

Reaction score
Scumback makes various greenback types, in various wattages, & also cones (55/75hz, etc)...

WGS also makes some higher wattage speakers w/ greenback characteristics.

You probably have to look used, but there was a 50 watt Lynchback, by Celestion. People are wanting premium/high prices for them though...

Thanks, I had wondered about Scumbacks but they aren't very available in the UK except directly shipped form the US, and never come up on eBay here :(

It's not so much the higher wattage capability although that is required, but more which single 1x12 speaker model gets closest to a set of greenbacks in a 4x12 cab.

ampeq

Reaction score
Can you get WGS there? If so take a look at the 1st 3 in the line up, Veteran 30, Retro 30 & ET65. I have a 2-12" w/ ET65 & Retro30 which seems great for all around Marshall tones. I also have an ET65 in a British type combo and a 1-12" with a Retro30 in it which both sound great by themselves or together. The Retro30 is like a better V30 and the ET65 is similar to a Creamback. The Vetran30 is suppose to be like a Greenback. https://wgsusa.com/british-invasion-grid

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A G12M65 Creamback has a bit more bass and treble than a G12M25 Greenback.
A G12H75 Creamback has even MORE bass and treble, (or if you prefer, less midrange) than a G12M25 Greenback,
giving a distinctly more scooped tone.
The next step down the same path is the G12T75, which is even more scooped.

For 1x12s, I still have found no speaker to compare to the EVM-12L.

A slightly oversized 1x12, with a ported arrangement, should serve a Greenback type speaker well,
using the bass response of the ported cabinet as a means of filling in the bottom end somewhat.

Personally for a 1x12 and sticking to Celestions, it'd be the G12M65 Creamback for me.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
A 50watt Plexi will look funny on top of a 1X12. You’re in the UK, you should try out the Marshall 1936 cabs. They are more affordable there and look better under a Marshall head. They sound great as well and can handle the power, too.

Mcentee2

Reaction score
Looks like the Creambacks are getting more of a vote for that "4x12 greenback in a 1x12" thing going on.

I appreciate all the "like a greenback" suggestions like the WGS and Scumbacks, and am trying to read/infer and find references for that tone as well :)

JohnH

Reaction score
I had a 4x12, a compact size being an 8412. But it had a big deep sound. I wanted a 1x12 with similar sound, so I made a generously sized closed-back one. But it was still boxier than I wanted, until I worked out some tuned ports, tuned just below guitar frequency. It really did the trick, Since then, I've noted ports in a few 1x12's, such as 1912 and 1933.

Mcentee2

Reaction score
I had a 4x12, a compact size being an 8412. But it had a big deep sound. I wanted a 1x12 with similar sound, so I made a generously sized closed-back one. But it was still boxier than I wanted, until I worked out some tuned ports, tuned just below guitar frequency. It really did the trick, Since then, I've noted ports in a few 1x12's, such as 1912 and 1933.

Thanks John - never really had any closed back/ported cabs before, always stuck with simple open backed ones - not entirely sure TBH if that means ports aren't as useful in those.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
I use a 1987x (no effects loop).

I like the greenback vibe myself and have gone through many speakers to get my gear sounding good and as close to a 4X12 greenback vibe as possible in a smaller more compact rig format.

I have a 1936 2X12 with a pair of Celestion G12M Creamback 65s and it sounds killer. Very warm and woody with nice early breakup. Kinda greenback as it were.

I also have a 1936 2X12 loaded with with Heritage Series G12-65 and it sounds killer as well. Slightly more punchy and articulate than the Creamback cab and it seems to clean up better with the guitar volume decreased than the Creamback does.

And I also have an SV112 with a Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage. This 1X12 sounds unbelievably good with the 1987 IMO. Really warm and 3D with lots of clarity, punch and crunch to it. I tried a LOT of speakers in this 1X12 and the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage was a keeper. Does it sound like a greenback? Probably not, but it sounds very, very good. It's also quite loud FWIW which, at least for me, is a good thing in a 1X12. Turn the guitar volume down for nice cleans and up for aggression and dirt.

As for "looks" with the SV112...I have two 1987's and they look very cool stacked beside the 1X12 as they are almost identical in height when on top of one another.

Mcentee2

Reaction score
I use a 1987x (no effects loop).

I like the greenback vibe myself and have gone through many speakers to get my gear sounding good and as close to a 4X12 greenback vibe as possible in a smaller more compact rig format.

I have a 1936 2X12 with a pair of Celestion G12M Creamback 65s and it sounds killer. Very warm and woody with nice early breakup. Kinda greenback as it were.

I also have a 1936 2X12 loaded with with Heritage Series G12-65 and it sounds killer as well. Slightly more punchy and articulate than the Creamback cab and it seems to clean up better with the guitar volume decreased than the Creamback does.

And I also have an SV112 with a Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage. This 1X12 sounds unbelievably good with the 1987 IMO. Really warm and 3D with lots of clarity, punch and crunch to it. I tried a LOT of speakers in this 1X12 and the Marshall branded Celestion G12 Vintage was a keeper. Does it sound like a greenback? Probably not, but it sounds very, very good. It's also quite loud FWIW which, at least for me, is a good thing in a 1X12. Turn the guitar volume down for nice cleans and up for aggression and dirt.

As for "looks" with the SV112...I have two 1987's and they look very cool stacked beside the 1X12 as they are almost identical in height when on top of one another.

The sv112 sounds like it might very well be the thing! I had an sv20 until recently but never got the cab although I pondered it a fair bit.

Mind you, and this is where I get confused, is that Vintage 30 the one that gets all the bad reputation for shrillness and ear piercing high end between 4-5k ?

Edit: oops, the sv112 has the V type in it, totally different to the Vintage 30 (phew!)

Also, another vote for the Creamback 65 :)

Last edited:

tschrama

Reaction score
I bet that 2x12 with Heritage G12-65 sounds great. I have one in a open back 1x12 with that speaker is it lovely, smooth, great for a agressive piercing sounding amp.

tschrama

Reaction score
The emenince GB128 sounds more similar to a greenback than a celenstion creamback 65. Used to be cheaper too!

Latest posts