4:30 in the morning

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by LKrevival, Oct 28, 2013.

1. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

This weekend at 4:30 am I was dosing off and some song just started flowing in my head. Mainly lyrics and a style of singing them though I am not a singer at all but background music was in my head to it also.

I have been through this time and time again, too often I just was so comfortable in bed that I though yeah I will remember the idea later but oh no that is never the case. This time I was surprised how complete the song just flowed together as I lay in bed that I forced myself up, tore off a piece of a 12 pack coke carton and sloppily wrote down all the lines, verses and chorus to the song.

I also picked up my guitar and came up with a basis and key for the guitar chords which turned out to be e minor in the end. I am still working on it but the foundation is there and I am so glad I got my lazy self out of bed unlike the other times I lost the idea later.

Which makes me ask you, when you come up with a song or idea do you usually base it around your instrument or do you base the music around your words or idea for singing?

I am sure most of you wind up tweaking both to final production but usually I have this whole idea in my head and lyrics before I even try to play to it and usually my minds idea for the music has to be rearranged sometimes way far away from what I thought it would be to fit around the words and singing idea.

rocknblues and 1neeto like this.
  2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Say "dozing". When you say "dosing" it sounds like you're on the drugs. :D

Anyway, when I come up with a new song, the whole entire thing comes into my mind almost instantly - like I'll hear something and all I have to do is sit there and think about it and the whole thing comes to me within a minute or tow or three or four. But no more than four. It's almost always centered around a chorus, then I get a verse section, then a bridge from the verses to the chorii. I always have to work out the production details intentionally because there's just so much. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, and I'm like WTH - how am I EVER going to get this whole song out of my head which contains the level of production that Def Leppard's "Photograph" was crafted with?

It takes a lot out of me and stuff.

LKrevival likes this.
  3. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

Sometimes I wonder if I should take up weed again and if it would unlock something better.:lol:

But honestly years ago when I tried playing while under the influence when I was clear again I quickly realized listening back that what I thought sounded good while stoned actually was crap.

This weekend all I needed was a cig and a cold coke to wake up a little bit while getting the basics down.

Some of my friends play real good while stoned or drinking, but not me.

Roadburn and 1neeto like this.
  4. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

Sometimes I come up with a cool riff and base something around that but most of the time its lyrics in my head and like a puzzle putting them together on paper and envisioning how the flow of singing goes to them which is a bitch for me because I have no capability to sing much less to the level of how I hear the flow in my head. Which because of that any singer I work with I give them hints to my idea but let them take it from there and tweak it which often winds up being way away from my mental idea.

5. Vinsanitizer

The songs I come up with in my head tend to be a derivative of a wide variety of music I've heard in the past. Nothing's off the table. For example, I wrote a song years ago that I still like today, influenced by a tune from Sonny & Cher. Yet it sounds nothing like Sonny & Cher. I find it peculiar that I can often recognize the influences of some famous writers - many times I can pinpoint the actual song or artist a song was "inspired" by. The downside is that popular music can become somewhat predictable.

Compared to most musicians I've ever met, I've listened to a much larger library of music. I listen to anything and can be influenced by anything. Still, for all this, the most I ever got from it was a song on local radio and some awesome live theater gigs.

Song writing can be one hell of an art for those who have really honed it down well. If you can stay behind the "muse" you can do alright for a long time. But once you figure it out - once it becomes methodical for you - the mystery can leave and your art just becomes a shell of uninspired rehashes.

tubes likes this.
  6. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

So stimulants work for you. And "dosing" wasn't so erroneous after all. :D

LKrevival likes this.
  7. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

Usually when I'm trying to fall asleep, or I'm at work, just about anywhere far away from a guitar.
    With weed you'll end up making a song about that awesome pizza topped with cheetos and dipped in chocolate shake. :slash::yesway:

8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I hate it when I dream about a "perfect" backing track for a work-in-progress song but was too lazy to get up at 3am and write a sample track on Fruity Loops.... And it's all gone when my alarm goes off at 5:30:mad::mad::mad:

tubes and LKrevival like this.
  9. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

Oh well if I didn't have such things to do like music and a day job I'd probably would love to sit on the porch with a blunt and a glass of red wine all the time but I'll stick to just the wine for now.:D

Actually right now I am loving the stuff in Advil Pm that makes you all relaxed and sleepy

good night:yesway:

10. SmokeyDopey

Speak for yourself! :yesway::D :wave:

:lol:

1neeto and scat7s like this.
  11. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

No comment. :ugh::lol:

12. Roadburn

Roadburn New Member

You probably would have started this thread with "4:20 in the morning..."
    etc.

I would say, substance is good for creativity, but not for technique...

13. Vinsanitizer

Say NO to durgs.

14. SmokeyDopey

Say no to droogies

15. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Could be any of those.

Around here the person with the most energy for writing songs is the bass player.
    We BASS some songs around that instrument.

It's a bit tricky: the drums and bass together usually sound very good pretty quickly - the rest of us are waiting for direction...
    I mean, a bass riff alone might not even determine whether a suitable chord will be major, minor, seventh, ninth etc.

Seems to me our bass guy usually does have an idea for the rest of the arrangement - but he doesn't want to be too quick to tell the rest of us. We might come up with some playing/sounds he had not thought of.
    ____

Hey Revival,
    you must be on a good track. Every song has to start with SOME kind of seed: a bass line, a lyric, a melody, an atmosphere, SOMETHING.

Like you, I sometimes get musical elements in my head when it is uncluttered. I have not followed up on any of them lately because it's not my job to write songs at present.

I don't think there are any rules about which center of gravity a song should have, or where the impetus comes from.

Except if you are a music producer with a responsibility to make money: then, I imagine, it's all a means to an end - What do the people want to buy? Give it to them!

16. Vinsanitizer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyD_b3xSzI]Robert Palmer-Early in the Morning - YouTube[/ame]