30 Years On: Remembering Stevie Ray Vaughan

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by BanditPanda, Oct 2, 2020.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

2. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

RIP

Shame the way he went out, such a great player although I was never really a fan of his music.

Maggot Brain and Marshall50w like this.
  3. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Blown Member* Gold Supporting Member

He's missed so much.

Marshall50w and BanditPanda like this.
  4. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw him about a week before it happened .He was on a high note ...sober and playing great.
    That being said , Id rather listen to Steve Gaines than Stevie Ray , anyday ....

Marshall50w likes this.
  5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

SRV was such a great talent...............he was just getting sober and he went out in such a tragic way.

Marshall50w likes this.
  6. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Active Member

SRV was always great it seemed to me whatever state he was in. I've not heard anything sloppy by him. As a big Hendrix fan I couldnt believe he had the 'audacity' to cover Voodoo Child on Couldn't Stand the Weather. I should have known better, He played with such authority and confidence and completely owned it not to mention the covers he did of Let the Good Times Roll and of course Little Wing.

Maggot Brain and Sustainium like this.
  7. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:applause:

8. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

:slash: You do some pretty convincing covers yourself.

Marshall50w likes this.
  9. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Active Member

I must have a listen to Steve Gaines. I 'almost' saw SRV on Bowie's Serious Moonlight Tour in '83. Bowie hired SRV after seeing him play at Montreux
    SRV contributed guitar solos to six of the songs on Let's Dance. He was to join the tour to please the American audience. Vaughan showed up for rehearsals in Dallas in April with a cocaine habit, a hard-partying wife and an entourage looking for easy access to drugs.
    Given that Bowie himself had moved to Berlin in the late 1970s to try and kick his own cocaine habit, Bowie and Vaughan's management failed to come to an agreement on how to temper the situation, and in the end Vaughan pulled out of the tour. Vaughan was replaced by longtime Bowie guitarist Earl Slick. SRV then concentrated on 1983's Texas Flood, thankfully.

Maggot Brain and BanditPanda like this.
  10. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

Never heard of him. :D

In all seriousness, my guitar hero. Played with a ferocity that is still unmatched. Many try (*cough* KWS *cough*), but nobody can do it the same way. He died about a year before I was born and when I was introduced to him by my dad at 9 or 10 years old, I told him that I wanna go see him play live and I almost cried when he told me that we wouldn't be able to. Helicopters suck. Or at least incompetent pilots.

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Stevie was the only guy who could ever play Hendrix tunes and make it sound like Hendrix was copying SRV. He really took ownership of any song he played.

I had the pleasure of seeing him play live once. It was NOT a dull concert!

tce63 likes this.
  12. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I was unfortunate in that I never got to see him live but I was fortunate enough to be stationed in the SE USA in the early 90's where you could go to 2 or 3 blues clubs in a happening town and see 2 or 3 SRV clones lol. I thought I wanted to play like Stevie until I realized that plenty of people had it covered lol. Im of the opinion that musicians shouldnt fly on anything smaller than a DC10.

13. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

He played here on the Soul To Soul tour, Fabulous Thunderbirds opened. TV crew interviewed him in the roughest bar in town, asked him who was the world's coolest guitarist. "My big brother Jimmie." Highlight of the show [​IMG]

Wildeman and BanditPanda like this.
  14. Walker314

Walker314 New Member

I saw him on that Soul to Soul Tour too. Great night with the T-Birds opening, Jimmy and Stevie playing together. The blues was pretty much dead commercially at that time and Stevie and Jimmy started a new revival.

Much like Eddie Van Halen, Stevie's success paved the way for a bunch of imitators, but they both had a certain something that their imitators didn't. To paraphrase a a saying about Charlie Parker, if Stevie (and Eddie) was a gunslinger, they'd be a lot of dead copycats.

jimmyjames likes this.
  15. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Here's a outstanding clip of SRV from 3/25/87.

Notice the vintage EHX Hot Tubes that he engages at 3:06 for the solo.

jimmyjames likes this.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Active Member

One of the all times greats and a tragic loss. I personally feel a bit of guilt in the fact that I felt totally burnt out on SRV, in the late 80s/early 90s. I had seen him SO many times in concert and then got to see him even more, opening for Robert Plant in 1988. Little did I know this was not a hardship, but a blessing to be able to say I saw him so many times. Got to say hello to him and shook his hand outside of a college gym he was playing in Montclair, NJ - he was very short! :) RIP SRV.

17. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

I gave up trying. I, instead, incorporate his style into making my own. Worked out better that way, I think.

RCM 800 likes this.