>

$3,000 for a reissue

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kutt, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Retail arbitrage by the shipping containerload of amps.....nice.

2. ssolo8

ssolo8 Member

Kutt likes this.
  3. danteschall

danteschall New Member

LOL you cant buy both today for that so why even post it? Both of those today are well north of 2k unless you are buying both t that are in fairly poor condition

4. ProfChaos

ProfChaos Member

It would be much better, in my view, to just buy a new JCM 25/50 2555X Jubilee Reissue Head for $1899. Sweetwater offers special financing for 48 months: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...55x-silver-jubilee-100-watt-reissue-tube-head

I love the sound of the JCM 2555X Jubilee Reissue Head. For my tastes, it's a JCM 800 with a little sparkle on top of the crunch. :)

Even better, if in the US, why not just step into the 21st century big time and buy the used JVM 410HJS Satriani Signature Head currently listed on Reverb.com for $1795 plus $100 shipping. Every channel and every mode of the Satriani Head offer fully authentic, rich Marshall sounds that cover the entire history of the nicest Marshall heads, including the JCM 800: https://reverb.com/p/marshall-jvm41...1LYo89oQmQkoGoivEcpcMwFgcasfOOTxoCguUQAvD_BwE

Like the 6100 30th Anniversary Head, the Satriani Head offers the bonus feature of sounding really sweet and crunchy, even at reasonable volume levels. (Using a Satriani Head on the Amber Mode of the Crunch Channel, I practice every night at a level that moves air and thumps my pant-legs, without making my ears ring. My stage-volume and practice-volume are almost identical, thanks to the sophisticated gain and volume structure that let one tweak the sound by ear, after the individual channel's EQ is dialed-in.) Getting nice sounds at a reasonable level is not as much of an option with the JCM 800, which sounds best at "11" :) and needs to be cranked to at least 6 or 7 in order to get the JCM 800 Mojo going. With the Satriani Head, the JCM 2000 DSL, and the 6100 30th Anniversary heads, the neighbors aren't as likely to threaten to have you arrested for violation of local noise ordinances. ;)

Don't get me wrong: I love the JCM 800 Head, but there is nothing subtle or sophisticated about it. It's a simple device from the "good ol' days": It offers mostly just that one "Crunch" sound, but, oh, what a sound it is! ;)

As to who might want to buy the expensive JCM 800 Re-Issue Head, a person who is rich, who tours regularly, and whose signature sound is closely identified with the JCM 800 "Crunch" might find this expensive head to be a pragmatically valuable tool in a rock-and-roll touring arsenal: Original, well-worn JCM 800 heads are more likely to fail during a gig: They often include solid-state electronic components that have aged considerably after years of use, and these aged components have therefore drifted out-of-tolerance. Aging solid-state electronic components are a pain in the ass to troubleshoot and diagnose, and out-of-tolerance components can diminish the overall sound quality of a head. Restoring an older Marshall JCM 800 head can be a real challenge, what with the new, environmentally-friendly, no-lead solder that fosters cold solder joints in a way that is sometimes madenning. Thus, some touring musicians who have already hit "the Big Time" might simply opt to buy a few new Reissue JCM 800 heads. Doing so not only helps the touring musician avoid facing amplifier down-time during a big gig, but it can also save the touring musician the hassle of having to locate a quality technician capable of rebuilding an older Marshall JCM 800.

For me, however, the newer, more flexible Marshall sound works best: Nobody really gives a fig what my "signature sound" is. ;) And, I also prefer to preserve what's left of my hearing: I'm becoming an old fart who is usually quite happy playing at lower stage-volumes. ;) By the way, have you seen my reading glasses anywhere? lol
    -----------------------
    cheers,
    --Professor Chaos

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Barry A likes this.
  5. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Wish I woulda kept mine!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You absolutely should have, so you could've sold it to me!

trax1139 likes this.
  7. stargazer76

stargazer76 Active Member

Buy a great, healthy salad. Cost of all the ingredients? Probably around $3. Cost of salad?
    $9.99! Salad tastes wonderful, lotsa people buy it, not many complain.
    Cost of a six-pack of tasty craft beer? About $10-12. Cost of one.......$7!
    You can ask any price for whatever your selling....does it get sold? Yes......?
    Then do it again.

Bluesrock likes this.
  8. malice95

malice95 Active Member

Well Anderton's accepted the order ($1660 bucks shipped) but within a few hours I got an email saying they couldn't honor it due to manufacturer restrictions. Oh well, worth a shot. Its a Crime we have to pay DOUBLE in the USA. No way I'll pay 3k.

Kutt likes this.
  9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I bought a new JCM800 2204 in 82/83 for $760. By 1992 you'd be lucky to get $400 for it. 800s were everywhere in the 90s for $300-$350..the good old days, should have bought them all..

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Kutt

This. Reading through a few replies here from others roughing out the math on what it should roughly cost here in the U.S., something else must be in effect that we don't know about. It's that far out of whack.

11. Kutt

-MF is selling the 2203 with 1960AV cab (half stack) for $3,650.
    -The 1960AV alone is priced on the same web site for $1,400.
    -The 2203 alone is priced (as mentioned) on the same web site for $3,000.

Yes retailers often gives package discounts, but there is no way they are giving a $750 discount for the half stack.

I am beginning to wonder if there was an administrative pricing error or something.

12. Barry A

Barry A Member

One word for you guys.

Trump.

Trump imposed tariffs on all EU and British electronics. I remember reading that the WTO only allows a specific dollar amount of total tariffs, so the rate is a “rotating” rate between 10-100%.

if you try to send anything to the US customs you’ll will get hit with the tarrif if it’s over $800. Thats why the amps are a far less cost in Canada, UK and EU aren’t locked in a bullshit trade war with Canada.

Also why the price of Guinness and Jameson skyrocketed overnight. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Jethro Rocker and EL 34 like this.
  13. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Jeez...3k? Do people really buy those new?

14. Kutt

He must have only targeted JCM 800 2203 reissues for tariffs because none of the other Marshall products I've observed have gone up in price recently.

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  15. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

Your are correct. This is the reason the pricing is so high.

16. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

But no Effect Loop and that's a deal breaker for me.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  17. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

No can do, just scored, this past few weeks
    Peavey 5150 2x12 $450
    Mesa F100 2x12 $450
    Mesa 50 caliber+ $511

all 3 bone stock & ready to go.

18. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The 900 DR reissue also increased from $1900 to $2400 or so; it wasn’t just limited to the legendary 800 - 2203x.

Mitchell Pearrow and Kutt like this.
  19. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That's an awful expensive piece of plastic on the front of that amp.

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

75 bucks plus a few more parts to install a Metro zero loss effects loop that's better than the Marshall loop is absolutely no deal breaker at all.