>

2X12 Cab for DSL40CR

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Elliot Twist, Aug 10, 2020.

1. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

hi @Elliot Twist , where you are heading with your DSL and 1965 is a bit like what I used to do with my DSL401. Its a bit narrower than your DSL, but I had it set on a 8412 cab which is about the size of that 1965 = smaller than a 1960. And Id converted the cab to be a 2x12 by blanking off two holes. It sounded great as a stack and I liked the mix of open combo and closed cab.
    Its my avatar <----, (ignore the Mg10 on top, and the guitar is shrunken to make it all look bigger!)

2. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Active Member

I tested the Marshall DSL40CR and Marshall 1966A cab today.
    The sock Celestion V-Type in the combo stays put.
    The 2 original Made In England Celestion G12T-75 speakers in the Marshall 1966A cab stay put.
    This whole rig has the stock speakers and it sounds absolutely perfect to me. No speaker swap at all. I'm done !
    I've got the 16 ohm Celestion V-Type in the combo plugged into one of the 8 ohm sockets for half a load, and I've got the 8 ohm Marshall 1966A cab plugged into one of the 4 ohm sockets for half a load.
    Together that's supposed to be a full load.
    I hope this is correct, because it sounds great.

[​IMG]

Thank you everyone for all your ideas and suggestions on this thread.
    Thank you to the folks that offered the technical info on the mismatched cab and speaker load situation.
    That info was new to me, and I hope I got it hooked up right.
    I'm totally happy with sound of the stock speaker in the combo and stock speakers in cab running together.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    joe_cpwe, tce63, Musicmaniac and 2 others like this.
  3. Elliot Twist

4. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Excellent news @Elliot Twist.
    Thanks for the profile shot of the stack.
    That looks about the same dimensions as the top of my Zilla Compact (600mm x 250mm).
    The amp overhangs the cab by about 10mm each side, but I can easily live with it in the bedroom.
    I may trade up to the Zilla Mini Modern (620mm x 280mm) at some point to match the width of the DSL40CR exactly.
    20200308_082906-1500.jpg
    20200913_112432-1900.jpg
    BTW Have you thought about repositioning the DSL40CR feet to match the cups on top of the 1966?
    Or even just adding another two feet to locate into the rear cups.
    That way you could maximise the stability of the stack.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  5. Elliot Twist

@SkyMonkey I could live with your DSL40CR stack just the way it is, it's great. I love it.
    I had a very short passing thought about simply removing the "cups on top of the 1966", but the Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab with original Made In England Celestion G12T-75 speakers is quite rare to find, and I'll just leave it stock.
    My DSL40CR sits plenty stable atop the 1966A cab.
    Same scenario with the DSL40CR, I enjoy leaving things stock sometimes.
    (I just couldn't do it with my DSL20CR) had to do a speaker swap with the DSL20CR to get it right for me.
    (V30 in the combo, V-Type in the MX112 cab underneath).
    All this time I figured putting together a 2X12 cab for underneath the DSL40CR would include a search for "just the right speakers".
    I've never owned any Celestion G12T-75 speakers, and never made time to listen to any.
    The ones in my Marshall 1966A cab sound great, and they sound complementary along with the Celestion V-Type speaker that's stock in the DSL40CR Combo.
    Who whoulda thought I wouldn't have to change a thing ? The rig really does sound great.
    I've got both channel volumes and the 2 master volumes at around 12 o'clock, so the rig is putting out some serious sound.
    I mentioned that we rehearse a bit loud. :rolleyes:

"I've got the 16 ohm Celestion V-Type in the combo plugged into one of the 8 ohm sockets for half a load, and I've got the 8 ohm Marshall 1966A cab plugged into on of the 4 ohm sockets for half a load.
    Together that's supposed to be a full load.
    I hope this is correct, because it sounds great."
    "No one who has tried this has posted failure." I hope I've got this hooked up correctly.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get a pair of V type speakers. :yesway:

7. Elliot Twist

@pedecamp I'm a fan of the Celestion V-Type, when I was working on getting my Marshall DSL20CR right for me I put a Celestion Vintage 30 in the 1X12 Combo, and a Celestion V-Type in the Marshall MX112 1X12 cab underneath.
    That was due to how much I was satisfied with the stock Celestion V-Type in the Marshall DSL40CR.
    It was the first time I'd heard a Celestion V-Type, I might like 'em better than a V30.
    Still a huge fan of the Celestion G12K-100 too (it's got "thump"), as long as it's paired with something that rings the bell.
    I'd like to hear a G12K-100 with a V-Type. That might be the ticket.
    The Celestion V-Type is a good sounding speaker to me.
    I think any next speakers I buy will be the 75 watt Creamback and the Celestion V-Type.
    I don't even know what I need them for, but I believe I need them for something.
    All my gigs are fussed up here in Ohio because of a virus from China that has no vaccine.
    This downtime is costing me more that being in jail for something I actually did do.

SkyMonkey and pedecamp like this.
  8. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I had a thought about the stability of combos on cabs with misslinging feet and cups. Never tried it though.....:

It was a piece of 15mm ply, smoothed and painted flat black. under it are rubber feet laid out to match the cups in the top of the cab. In the top surface are holes drilled through to match the layout of the combo feet. Nothing then can slide or be misaligned.

9. Elliot Twist

Now you've got me on to something.
    I gonna get that done. Thank you.
    The rig here in this thread sits tight in and against the corner of carpeted walls in our band's rehearsal room.
    I hope the nightclubs get back up to high speed soon, or I'll buy a saw and start making things.
    My brother has some stuff like that, so your described project will get done before winter.
    Great Idea.
    I'm not connected to dimensions in milometers, I still buy gasoline and milk by the gallon and things are measured in inches, but that (15mm ply) looks a little thicker than a half an inch @ 0.59".
    Great idea and solution. I'm ready.
    This is why I post on this forum, you folks are full of ideas and solutions.
    I only hope that once in awhile I can post some things that help others also.
    The venues here in Northeast Ohio better get back to full speed ASAP.
    We lost 30 gigs since March and I seen no return to a nicely booked schedule.
    We're a cover band only, and need business as usual for the "band scene" to return.
    My next project is my Marshall Class 5 with a Peavey 112-6 1x12 Celestion Greenback speaker cabinet underneath.
    I might start a thread for that project. I love my Marshall Class 5, I've got all the complaints figured out.

10. SkyMonkey

I did exactly this to stabilize a DSL401 (56cm wide) on top of a 1912 cab (50cm wide).
    I had a mate who was a furniture maker.
    I gave him the dimensions of location points on the cab and combo, i.e. feet and skid plates.
    He made me an MDF board with thin strip rectangles glued underneath to locate into the 1912 skids, and spade drill cut depressions for the DSL401 feet.
    It worked brilliantly.
    But I never got around to having it Tolexed, so it did look a bit odd. :scratch:
    Sorry but no pics. I've binned it now.

When I traded up to a DSL40CR (62cm wide) I did try and use it on top of the 1912 again but the overhang was ridiculous. :noway:

The 1912 now sits under a VS65R.
    The feet miss the 1912 skids completely, but the front feet lock in perfectly between the outside of the skid plates and the front corner pieces on the 1912. :yesway:

20200914_105311-1200.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Elliot Twist and Sustainium like this.
  11. Elliot Twist

YES. Marshall DSL40CR atop a Marshall 1966A 2X12 8 ohm cab. Thanks @JohnH

12. Elliot Twist

I'm a fan of the Marshall 1912 Cab, they're available used for $350.
    I don't have a use for one, but can't stop wishing I had one.
    That 1912 is a great sounding speaker.
    What speaker is loaded stock in the Marshall 1912 Cab, and what's in yours ?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. SkyMonkey

Mine came with the stock 8 ohm Celestion G12B-150.
    You can't buy them separately, only as a component of either a 1912 cab or the JVM215C combo.

I have rarely used the G12B-150 though (it's in a box somewhere).
    I bought the 1912 to use with a DSL401 that came with a 16 ohm G12T-100 as stock.
    I bought another one to match for the 1912. I zero speaker experience at the time, so I played it safe.
    The 1912 still has the G12T-100 inside and is run with a VS65R containing another 16 ohm G12T-100.
    Not playing safe now, I just like the G12T-100.

20200915_101539-1200.jpg

The specs for the G12B-150:

Nominal Diameter - 12”
    Power Rating - 150W
    Nominal Impedance - 8ohm
    Sensitivity - 98 dB/W
    Chassis Type - Pressed steel
    Voice Coil Diameter - 2”
    Voice Coil Material - Round copper
    Magnet Type - Ceramic
    Magnet Weight - 50oz
    Frequency Range - 60-4000Hz
    Resonance Frequency - 77Hz
    DC Resistance - 7ohm
    Unit Weight - 4.8kg (about 11lb)

14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Well-Known Member

I can't believe that DSL 40 is as big as the 1966a cabinet. That's crazy.
    I bought a 1965a last month for my 3203 head. Am sortof keeping my eye out for 1965 & 66 B cabinets, at a good price. I'd prefer the 1966b since I have the 4x10 already. I've not been looking a long time. Something tells me that unless i want to pay a premium I'll just have keep my eyes open for a while.

I threw my H&K 20th Ann. combo on top of my 1965 cab a couple weeks ago and let 'em both rip. HUGE sound. I bet your stack sounds great @Elliot Twist Rock on.

15. Elliot Twist

The Marshall 1966B 2X12 cab is going to cost you $400.
    Yes the rig I put together in this thread does sound good. It's for the band rehearsal room, and is allowed to be loud.
    I was originally wondering what speakers to load into a 2X12 for underneath my Marshal DSL40CR, then @rjohns1 let the cat outa the bag concerning the Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab. "That's crazy"
    I got one right away, but I was still considering what speakers to load in the full rig.
    Who woulda though the stock speakers in all of it would sound just great ?
    Good luck with a Marshall 1966B cab, usually "straight" cabs have more bottom end, and that might be cool.
    Still, nothing sounds like my live rig, Marshall DSL100HR and 4X12 loaded with Celestion G12K-100 and V30 speakers.
    ...and my home studio rig Marshall DSL100H and Marshall MX212 2X12 cab loaded with Celestion G12K-100 and V30 speakers. (Bugera PS1 Power Soak @ home)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  16. Elliot Twist

Since this thread was originally about a Marshall DSL40CR loaded with the stock Celestion V-Type speaker.
    ...and I said "I'm plenty happy with the Celestion V-Type speaker, it sounds great."
    I'd like to be the one to start a thread about sharing amp settings from folks that have the Marshall DSL40CR and are making it work with the stock Celestion V-Type speaker.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  17. mwaley

mwaley New Member

So, I'm baffled here. Why do these great DSL40CR threads die on the vine like they do? 13 great pages then the last post was September 18, 2020. A full year with no action!!!

I just don't get it.

18. SkyMonkey

Necro post almost two years to the day since this thread concluded, with nothing to add but a gripe repeated elswhere.

I just don't get it.

(Let sleeping threads lie!)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    fitz288 likes this.