>

2X12 Cab for DSL40CR

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Elliot Twist, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Active Member

Thanks @ampeq The 65w CB that I have worked well for the 1X12 extension cab I use with my EVH 5050III 1X12 Combo.
    The speaker that came stock with that combo needed the "muffled" tone to correctly compliment the stock G12EVH-50 (50 watts) internal speaker in the EVH 5150III Combo.
    That rig did not sound good to me until I added the 1X12 extension cab with the 65w CB.
    It sounds great now.
    I don't have much worry 'bout the "clarity and high ends" with Marshall DSL amps w/Ibanez JEM guitars.
    Marshall DSL amps have a special "sizzle" to them. I love 'em.
    Wish I had a Marshall JVM410, but I already have at least 12 Guitar Amps.
    I have to keep myself in check about buying things I shouldn't buy. LoL

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

I got a pretty good deal on an old 1966 cab from the mid eighties a while back. It's the 212 cab where the speakers are diagonal. It is the same width as my DSL40CR, and with greenbacks sounds excellent.

3. Avenger

Avenger Member

If your focus here is experimenting with speakers people say are good, I heard the Red Coat Governor sounds like Celestion Vs, and I seen people mix them both in the same cab, both 12". There's another red coat, I'm not sure, but I think I stepped thru a thread here of people asking for upgrades in their JCM2000 DSL401 back when it was released. People seemed to hate the stock speaker and suggestions included these Red Coat. In fact, I almost purchased a cool looking DSL401 with that Red Coat Governor (and that's why I found about red coats). As the DSL401 threads are old, as well as the one I almost purchased, maybe these speakers are out of production... or were painted green and called "greenback" lol.

Elliot Twist likes this.
  4. Elliot Twist

"same width as my DSL40CR" ?
    That's not fair. Thanks for that info ! I found some links for a Marshall 1966A 2x12 Cab for almost $400.
    That's a bit much, but for a cab like that that's the same width of a DSL40CR ...I'm thinking about it.
    I'm happy enough with my DSL40CR that it feels right to set it atop a 2X12. Especially one that's like a Marshall 1966A 2x12 Cab.
    "I'm not in it for the money" I play because it brings me joy, unconditional joy.

Avenger and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Elliot Twist

@rjohns1 Thank you, I'm getting a 1966A cab from GC for not a good deal.
    This post from you is a great find for me thanks to you. "same width as my DSL40CR"
    Some things are the strings that spin the top.
    LoL, that's what I tell our Elliot Twist band sometimes "This is Elliot Twist. These are the strings that spin the top."

6. Elliot Twist

@Avenger yes, this thread is about two selected speakers in a 2X12 cab, but specifically for an extension cab for a Marshall DSL40CR.
    hey, why not have suggestions here for loading a 2X12 cab, but that might be another thread.
    Several folks are discovering the DSL40CR, and wish for the solution to an extension cab for underneath.

Avenger likes this.
  7. Elliot Twist

@rjohns1 1966A cab loaded with Greenbacks, are you also running the stock internal speaker in the DSL40CR Combo ?
    I'm thinking I'd allow the stock Celestion V-Type a vacation in the rehearsal studio, but if I need the rig live I'd entertain the V-Type like a horn atop the 2X12 underneath.
    There's plenty of times when I finish a rehearsal or a gig, and hear sounds that had been coming from my rig that worked for my search for "my sound".

8. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

I have run the speaker in the cab with it, but I don't like it. I have the cab loaded with two 8 ohm greenbacks in series, for 16ohms. In the amp, I have a 75watt cream back. The cream back is louder than the cab, so it doesn't blend right. The cab has the sound I'm after anyway. I could possibly get another greenback at 8ohm, and run an 8 ohm large watt restore in series, to get the volumes to match but it's not worth the hassle. I've also though of making a shell to put the amp chassis in to make it a head, this mini stack is perfect for band situations.

9. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Wiring the cabinet for 16 ohms might give you more options for expansion later on.

If I were to expend the time and money to replace stock speakers in a Marshall combo or cabinet, I would only consider one option - Celestion Creams (not to be confused with Creambacks).

Elliot Twist likes this.
  10. Elliot Twist

That information will get noted. Thank you, I get to thinking things over when it comes to a speaker that costs $300

I tested the Bugera 212V-BK cab after I loaded the G12K-100 and V30 into it against my Marshal MX212 cab loaded with the same speakers on the DSL100H in my home studio.
    It didn't work for me, not like the MX112. Damn.
    I'm still gonna try it on the DSL40CR, because that's what this is all about.
    However, I can't help but wish the amp I use at rehearsal sounded like the amp I use at home.
    I'll get it done.
    The DSL40CR should do it.
    Next up ...the Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab loaded with 1 V30 and 1 Creamback 75w

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    SkyMonkey and IOSEPHVS like this.
  11. mwaley

mwaley New Member

This is what I did:
    I found an Ipswith, England Celestion V-30 8 ohm speaker and put it in place of the 16 ohm Celestion V-Type in the Combo.

Since the V-Type is a decent speaker, I paired it with another Ipswitch, England Vintaage-30 in my 2x12 cabinet, wired as a 8 ohm load.

So, what does that do for me you ask...
    Well, With both the Internal speaker and the 2x12 cabinet 8 ohm rated, you have 3 possibilities for speaker configuration.

OPTION 1: Plug the Internal speaker (now 8 ohm) into one the 1x8 Ohm|2x16 Ohm jacks and use the Combo as it designed - a 1x12 Combo.

OPTION 2: Unplug the Internal speaker and plug the 2x12 Cab into one the 1x8 Ohm|2x16 Ohm jacks and use the Combo as a Head Only into the 2x12.

OPTION 3: Plug the Internal 8 ohm speaker into one of the 1x4 Ohm|2x8 Ohm jacks. Plug the 2x12 Cabinet into the other 1x4 Ohm|2x8 Ohm jacks. Now you can run all the speakers together, all at their proper ohm rating. Key here is to swap the internal 16 ohm with an 8 ohm.

The V-Type and Vintage 30 combination is really good. 20200902_213821.jpg

Elliot Twist and SkyMonkey like this.
  12. Elliot Twist

@mwaley That's similar to what I hope to do. Except my 16 ohm 2X12 cab has one G12K-100 and one Vintage 30, and leave the stock 16 ohm V-Type in the combo.
    I hope to run all 3 speakers.
    I picked up a Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab and I'll first try loading it with one Vintage 30 and one Creamback 75w.
    If that somehow doesn't work perfectly I'll try moving the V-Type to the 2X12 cab.
    Note : for my Marshall DSL20CR I have put a Vintage 30 into the combo, and moved the V-Type into the bottom Marshall MX112 1X12 cab underneath the combo. That does sound very good and I'll leave that rig as it is with that configuration.
    Thanks for the input.

13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Someone else pointed out that you can run a mismatch of impedances with the DSL40CR/100HR amps.
    This has been verified by Santiago Alvarez (@santiall) on several occasions.
    The loads HAVE to be one 16 ohm and one 8 ohm.
    Marshall amps that have 16/8/4 ohm jacks but no impedance switching (DSL40CR, JVM, Astoria, etc.) can accept a 16 ohm load in one of the 8 ohm jacks (half an 8 ohm pair of 16's, therefore 1/2 a load) and an 8 ohm load in one of the 4 ohm jacks (half a 4 ohm pair of 8's, therefore 1/2 a load).
    The two half loads add up to one whole load and the amp is happy.
    No one who has tried this has posted failure.

Elliot Twist likes this.
  14. Elliot Twist

I never have trouble adding a cab to an amp that has the necessary speaker outputs.
    I don't need to "mismatch" anything, although it's good to know those things can be done.
    The only situation I've ever run into whereas there wasn't an option to do what I wanted to do was with my Marshall Class 5, because that amp only has one speaker output and it's 16 ohm only.
    @Micky helped me understand how to build an 8 ohm resistor box with 2 speaker output jacks so I could run two 16 ohm speakers (the combo's internal 16 ohm speaker along with a 16 ohm extension cab) into the combo's single 16 ohm speaker output socket.
    The total load was returned back to 16 ohms.
    I love that box with 2 speaker jacks with an 8 ohm resistor inside it.
    I've used it many times, especially when I want to run a power soak that only has one speaker output jack for each ohm choice, and still allow myself the internal 16 ohm speaker along with a 16 ohm extension cab.

15. SkyMonkey

Sorry @Elliot Twist. I wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
    It was a general statement prompted by post #31 where @mwaley stated:
    I perhaps should have been more clear. :shrug:

16. Elliot Twist

OK @SkyMonkey I'll move on.
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, ideas, and info as I look for the solution to add a 2X12 extension cab underneath my DSL40CR.
    I've got 2 cabs to try. One Bugera 212V-BK 2X12 cab loaded with one Celestion V30 and one Celestion G12K-100.
    One Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab that will get loaded with the best choice from V30, Creamback 75, and V-Type.
    I can't help but love the idea of "Celestion Creams (not to be confused with Creambacks)." I might.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  17. Elliot Twist

I think I'm getting ready to try this.
    I received a Marshal 1966A 2X12 Slant Cab 8 ohms, and I'd like to run it together with the DSL40CR stock 16 ohm internal combo speaker. I hope I don't mess up the amp.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  18. Elliot Twist

I'm going to try this tomorrow.
    I received an 8 ohm Marshall 1966A 2X12 cab, and I'm going to see how it sounds with the original G12T-75 speakers along with the V-Type in the DSL40CR Combo.
    I might move the V-Type into the 2X12 with a 75w Creamback and put a V30 in the combo, or put the 75w Creamback in the combo and the V-Type and V30 in the 2X12 cab underneath.
    I wish I could get this right on one try.
    If all my gigs weren't canceled I wouldn't have so much time to waste money on all of this.
    Things are weird here in Ohio, while they're trying to figure out some virus that has no vaccine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  19. SkyMonkey

Now that looks the Nuts @Elliot Twist!
    I might have to keep my eye out for a 1966A cab.
    Is the cab deep enough at the top to keep the DSL40CR stable?
    Whenever I see angle cab dimensions, they give the depth of the base not the top.
    My DSL40CR is perched on a Zilla Compact 112 that is approximately the same depth.
    It is stable enough in the corner of my loft/man-cave, but I wouldn't trust my setup on a live stage.

EDIT* I am now seeing just how rare a 1966A cab really is! I may be waiting a while to spot one.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  20. Elliot Twist

@SkyMonkey the top of the slant on the 1966A is the same footprint as the DSL40CR.
    I think the DSL40CR is 2/10 of an inch wider on each side than the 1966A cab 4/10" total. That's alright.
    I'll take a pic of the side of the rig and get it in this thread.
    The rubber feet on the bottom of the DSL40CR do not drop into the plastic amp head foot cups on the top of the 1966A cab.
    Those plastic cups were designed for amp heads from the 80's such as the 30w Artist head and some others.
    We couldn't get that lucky with the DSL40CR.
    It does look great. I love putting together a sweet Marshall rig.
    This DSL40CR and 1966A rig is what I use for band rehearsal.
    We play a bit loud, and the DSL40CR does sound good.
    I normally play on a DSL100HR and a 4X12, or at home a DSL100H and a 2X12, so as the DSL40CR has the same features as the DSL100HR I can get it dialed in pretty well.
    I actually like the stock V-Type speaker in the DSL40CR.
    I'm hoping to leave it in the combo, because it certainly cuts through the mix.
    Our other guitar player uses a 50w EVH 5150 III and a custom loaded 1960 4X12.
    He likes loud guitars everywhere.
    ...so ya gotta find a way to hear your own self in the rehearsal room. It's a bell ringer in there.
    Our Drummer and Bass player ain't shy about making a lot of noise either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    SkyMonkey and J Saw like this.