2X12 Cab for DSL40CR

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Elliot Twist, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Active Member

My live rig is a Marshal DSL100HR with a 4X12 cab (loaded with 2 Celestion V-30's on the top and 2 Celestion G12K-100's on the bottom), my home studio rig is a Marshall DSL100H (a Bugera PS1 power soak) with a 2X12 Marshall MX212 cab loaded with 1 Celestion V-30 and 1 Celestion G12K-100.
    I just bough a Marshall DSL40CR for band rehearsal, it's loaded with the stock Celestion V-Type speaker.
    I'm plenty happy with the Celestion V-Type speaker, it sounds great.
    My BIG problem is when I run my home studio rig it sounds like the only sound I wish I'd ever have to hear ever. :kiss:.
    My live rig sounds great too :h5:.
    I'm about to buy another Celestion V-30 and Celestion G12K-100, and put them into a 2X12 cab for use with the DSL40CR.
    I'll let the stock Celestion V-Type speaker in the DSL40CR sit in the combo unplugged :nono:.

What this thread is about is to get suggestions on a blend of two 12" speakers in an external 2X12 cab for the DSL40CR before I take the dive into my regular setup of 1 Celestion V-30 and 1 Celestion G12K-100 in a 2X12.
    I know we should go with what our ears tell us sounds good to each individual.
    ..but there's a lot of folks on this form that have a lot of great ideas and suggestions.
    I'm NOT going to buy a dozen speakers to test, so if you have a suggestion I'm going to work with what you post and your descriptions and reasons.
    I have a Creamback and a Greenback, so I know what those sound like.
    You can troll my profile and see that I've got a lot of gear and enough money to invest in what makes me happy.
    I've got several great rigs (ya should hear my EVH 5150III rig), but I'm a Marshall / Celestion guy since 1972.
    I'm a retired Video Production Editor/Director, and I'm not broke by any means.
    Thanks for your suggestion on what to load into a 2X12 cab for my new Marshall DSL40CR.
    I just wanted to post here before I go with my same 'ol favorite 1 Celestion V-30 and 1 Celestion G12K-100 in a 2X12 on a Marshall DSL.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I don't know about the speaker types, your usual mix sounds like it'd rock hard!

I was thinking about whether you'd wire the cab at 8 or 16 ohm. Given you have a full set of five output jacks, I reckon you might as well do 8 ohm and you can still try mixing in the combo speaker if you want. 16 ohm combo speaker into the 8 Ohm and the 8 Ohm 2x12 into the 4 Ohm jack. Cab and combo share the power and the amp is perfectly loaded.

3. Elliot Twist

I don't think the amp's load outputs work like that.
    I was going to use two 8 ohm speakers in the 2X12 cab wired in series for a 16 ohm load into the 16 ohm output jack, then there's that option to add the internal stock 16 ohm speaker while moving the total load to the 8 ohm jacks.

That math on the above quote might not be an option on this equipment, if it is possible I simply don't understand how that works.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Correct.
    Wire for 16-ohms and then plug both into the 8-ohm jacks.

5. Elliot Twist

Hi Micky

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

This also works entirely up to you. Amy amp with multiple speaker jacks can accomplish this as long as there is no switch.
    If you are starting from scratch then I suppose a 16 ohm cab would be more convenient, yes. If uou already had 2x16 ohm speakers then do as John H is suggesting.

Running a 16 from an 8 ohm jack is half a load.
    Running an 8 from a 4 ohm jack is half a load.
    Both halves make a matching full load.

7. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Either way works fine. Its good to have choices.

I wish all amps had 5x output jacks instead of switched ones.

The method I was talking about was described on this forum by Santiago Alvarez (JVM designer) and I've seen it confirmed by Steve Dawson (VM designer)

Its a solid theory, but its usually kept under the table, maybe because its too hard to explain in product manuals and in labelling the jacks!

8. Elliot Twist

So, ... I figured you all would have your favorite speakers to load into a 2X12 for use on a Marshall DSL.
    I have a Marshall DSL100H, Bugera PS1 power soak, and a Marshall MX212 for use in my home studio.
    Loaded with one Celestion G12K-100 and one Celestion Vintage 30.
    My live rig is a Marshall DSL100HR on a 4X12 with two of each G12K-100 and Celestion Vintage 30.
    It's difficult for me to believe that my mix choice of speakers is "the one" to go with.
    I'm getting the speakers I need for the 2X12 cab in September 2020, looks like I'll go with my previous choice.

...on another note : here's one that'll burn everyone's ass up.
    I am thinking of combining "these" two brands into one 4X12 speaker cab for use on my Marshall DSL guitar amps.
    I'm going to put two Jensen JCH 12/70 speakers (a relatively brighter sounding speaker) into the top half of a Behringer BG412H, and two Bugera 12G100J4 speakers (they are a darker sounding speaker) in the bottom half of the Behringer BG412H.
    iluvchiclets says "I love the crunch of the Jensen JCH 12/70 speakers and the smoothness of the Bugera 12G100J4 speakers."

Jensen JCH 12/70 Bugera 12G100J4

This would be the Behringer version of the 4X12 cab I use live (two of each Celestion Vintage 30 and Celestion G12K-100).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Just go with what you like, it won’t sound terrible, but not sure what else is popping up as the new favorites.
    I happen to like green backs.
    Cheers

10. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I just love it when you break all the rules...

11. Bruce Campbell

Bruce Campbell Member

This is correct, it's how I currently run my DSL40CR and Traynor 2x12 with two greenback G12M's.

12. Neptical

Neptical Active Member

The EV12L sounds flippin' phenomenal with my DSL50 and DSL100 heads. Mine are 2x12 in a half back cab. I go to THAT cab before my 4x12 cabs. It just sounds humongous. It makes me want to try the WGS12L which is their version of that speaker.

Which brings me to my G12K100 4x12 straight cab. I like it with my DSLs, but it's not my favorite. I'd rather go with my Marshall JCM 800 4x12 loaded with G12T75s that sounds fantastic with those DSLs. So punchy, great bass and sings!

13. Elliot Twist

@Neptical The 2X12 I use in my home studio sounds humongous also. It makes one wonder about any 4X12 in a small room.
    When we play live the area seems big enough for a 4X12, and I think the distance between my rig and my mic stand works better with a 4X12. I had an unsatisfactory experience with house sound and a 2X12, so I ain't done it again.
    I need to try my DSL100 heads on a 4X12 with G12T75's. That sounds stock for Marshall 4X12 cabs.
    Thanks for your input. I'll look into the EV12L also. I do have a Peavey 112-6 1x12 Celestion Greenback speaker cabinet that has the option for closed or half back.
    @Mitchell Pearrow I tried the Peavey 112-6 cab underneath the DSL40CR and liked the combo without the external Greenback cab. I didn't try the Greenback alone.
    Maybe I'll try it again.
    Thanks for your input.
    @Mitchell Pearrow I'll probably use the Peavey 112-6 1x12 Celestion Greenback speaker cabinet on my Marshall Class 5.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

My all time favorite set of speakers is a V30 & 12H-75 CB. I’ve tried a lot of speaker combo’s but none have given me the punch and clarity these give. Peavey makes a new cab with this setup in a extra deep pine box.

15. Elliot Twist

Both of my speakers are finally here for my Bugera 2X12 project (this goes underneath the Marshall DSL40CR).
    There's a possibility the stock Celestion V-Type internal speaker may get several vacations.
    1 Celestion G12K-100 and 1 Celestion Vintage 30.
    I've had good luck with this configuration.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Neptical I'm liking 2X12 cabs better than 4X12 cabs also.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That may work just fine, you need something to add clarity and high ends to the crunch of the V30. I use the 75w CB & V30, for me that's the best configuration I'v found. I like another mix I have with the WGS ET-65 & Retro 30 but it's more growly, not as good all around. (Very punchy.) Make sure you give them plenty of time to break in, at first they can be pretty shitty but once they open up they become very good.

17. Tonz

Tonz Member

Hey, I see your happy with the tone out of the V30 & 75w CB combo, those are two speakers that I like. I am also a fan of the GT12T-75, have you ever compared the V30 & 75w CB vs the V30 & GT12T-75? If so, impressions/differences? I've got a boogie 2x12 with V30's I thinking of putting either a 75w CB or the GT12T-75 in place of one of the V30's. Thanks!

Sustainium and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'v never tried the G12H-75 against the G12T-75 but I think you will be very happy with it. You could get a G12H-75 CB for the other 2-12" cab, Mesa cab's are top notch, this will let you know which you like better. The G12H also makes a great 1-12" speaker I like to play with, I have it in an Eminence cab. I truly think if you put a 75w CB in that Boogie cab you will NEVER let that one go. (I have a Carvin cab with a V30 & 75w CB, never going anywhere.) Peavey makes a 2-12" cab with a V30 & 75w CB extra deep, 16" I think, and made out of pine. Very nice system to say the least. Above all you must give them time to break in, new they are only so-so. Once you get some time on them they come alive. If you do go that way, one cab with V30 / T-75 and one with V30 / H-75, once they are broke in try swapping the 2 75w speakers to the opposite cab. The Mesa cab may like the T-75 over the H-75 or vise-versa. Either way I think your on the right track and will be very happy. Good luck!

19. Elliot Twist

My two main guitars are Ibanez JEM70VSFG, Ibanez JEM7VPWH.
    Both have Evolution pickups, and they seem to "add clarity and high ends to the crunch of the V30" as well as the G12K-100.
    I tested a 65w CB that I have in a 1X12 cab and it sounded great.
    I guess I just got lazy and went with what I already have experience with.
    I will pick up a CB and put it with a V30 in a 2X12 cab when I get the chance.
    @ampeq are you able to say why to go with the 75w CB instead of the 65w CB ?

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Much more clarity, the 65w ones are a little muffled compared to the 75w CB. The 75w CB will give a more articulate sound and clearer high's than the 65w one. It also pair's much better than the 65w does. They both have their places, I do own both and like both, but I do like the 75w one best in most cases.