>

2x12 Cab Considerations for A Marshall Virgin

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Beltalowda, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

Hi all-

This is maybe long post, so apologies for you non-readers and short attention spanners. Bear with me, I’m new to the Marshall-type cab thing.

I’m getting ready to order the Marshall Origin 50 head here soon, and I’ve been looking at 2x12 cabs for weeks with the right combination of features and price. I’m steering clear of MDF (though I understand some decent Marshall cabs have an MDF back, and I guess I can live with that). I prefer vertical. Some kind of slant/angle would be ideal, too. Given that I have only about a grand – maybe a hair more to spend on both head & cab, that limits my cab hunt to around $500ish.

2 cab styles that really pique my interest are the slant A-cabs (like the SV20 2x12 style), and something along the lines of a Model 1972 2x12. Obviously, given my budget I can’t afford a new SV20 cab @ $850 bucks, and I’m SOL finding a used Model 1972 for any less than probably 2 grand, so... I’ve been looking at Mojotone and some other options like Sour Mash.

Mojotone has a British style cab (https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x...ifier-2x12-Straight-Speaker-Extension-Cabinet) that seems to maybe be based somewhat on the 1972. It’s got the flat surface baffle that’s angled back at the top a few degrees, as well as the offset speaker placement. However, in looking at the dimensions, It differs from the 1972 in that it is 3” shorter and 2“ deeper The Model 1972 vert appears to be 30”x26”x12”, while the Mojotone is 27"x26"x14". That's 468 inches of difference, assuming that the ply is the same thickness between the two cabs. Anyway, I guess I’m wondering if it would get me close enough to the 1972, tonally. Also, if anyone happens to have this particular Mojotone, I’d appreciate your thoughts on it.

I’m also eyeing the Sour Mash 2061 CX 2x12 cab (https://sourmashguitarcabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=52). There are a few Marshall slant 2x12 variants that I’ve seen, so I’m not gonna try to decide which one the Sour Mash might be closest too, and whether that's good or bad, so instead I’m just going to ask if anyone has any experience/opinions about this cab.

A note on cab types: My current main rig is two 1x12s stacked. The bottom is an Orange PPC112 and the top is an open back Peavey slanted 1x12. I really like the angle on the Peavey cab for the obvious reasons. Initially I was ONLY looking for slant cabs, but then I saw a demo of the Model 1972 which, although not a slant cab, does have a (slightly) angled baffle and I really liked what I heard from it. I wondered if the angle would be enough to give me some of the projection I like about the slant cabs, or if it’s not a significant enough angle. My gut is still telling me go for true slant, but I dunno.

The Origin 50 will be my first Marshall and if I’m gonna go for it, I want to get the best cab I can in my budget range. I do understand that a lot of it is subjective as we all have different preferences and ideas of what will provide 'good tone', etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam. Regardless, I would appreciate your input.

The speakers I’m planning on putting in the new cab are 2 WGS ET-65s. I’ve already got one of those that I have been running alongside a Vintage 30 for the last few years – I’m not too crazy about the combo though (I blame the V30 – cuz I love the 65) and want to try 2 ET65s instead. Plus I can’t really figure in 2 new speakers with my budget on top of the head and cab, but I can swing at least one additional speaker.

Some other things that might be helpful: I play mostly late 60s/early 70s inspired hard blues rock (Zep/Who/Sab/etc – you know the drill). I guess I’m hoping for a cab that will not not feel overly bright, too middy, or excessively bass heavy or bass-flabby. I like fairly pronounced, thumpy bass that I can feel, with enough thwack to not be muddy (kinda like Hendrix’s tone on 51st Anniversary).

Lastly, I’m open to alternate suggestions and considerations as well. You guys are the experts here. At least that’s what the drunk guy said at the door!

If you’ve made it this far, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    ibmorjamn and fitz288 like this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I'm no cab expert, but I didn't get the Marshall Origin212A for my 20H for a lot of the same reasons.
    MDF, crap Seventy-80 speakers and it's not the right size for either the 20H or the 50H.
    I built my own cab, but probably spent nearly as much as the Sourmash cab.
    For an opinion, I like that half slant look, that's what I wound up building for mine.

3. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

Hey Fitz, thanks :)

Yeah when I first saw that they had a 2x12 slant for the Origin line I was excited - then I saw it was MDF and had those seventy 80s and that was that. I mean, if Harley B can make an all ply 2x12 slant for under 250 you'd think Marshall could do one for 350!

4. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Beltalowda likes this.
  5. fitz288

I'm probably at $200+ in plywood, tolex, grill cloth, piping, handles, glue, jacks, feet, etc.
    Plus the Vintage 30s I got on ebay, but it's a nice match for the head.
    (pedal board was a bonus from the scraps)
    That Sourmash cab is not a bad deal and looks pretty sharp.
    20210415_164405_HDR-2.jpg

6. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

I found your thread on that build a few days ago. Very nice job, btw. I have toyed with the idea of building various cabs for years and have tried on a few occasions, but I dont have a table saw and I can never seem to get a straight cut with a circular saw even with a straightedge guide. There's always some weird deviation or something. Even with 'measure twice cut once' tactics, lol. Frustrating because I'm pretty handy and adept at many things, but damn... for all of my woodworking dreams, it just hasn't worked out (except for a few smaller projects and a prototype headshell I made for my Classic 30).

fitz288 likes this.
  7. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

FutureProf88 likes this.
  8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

9. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  10. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

Hi. I also entered the realm of Marshall tube amps recently, and with pretty much the same budget that you indicated, I purchased the Origin 50 head and the Avatar G212 Vintage cabinet with Greenbacks.

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar/g212-vintage-sp/

I've been having a great time with the setup.

All the best with whatever choice you make.:)

11. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

Thanks, Ps.37!

I've looked at Avatar cabs, too. I've heard great stuff about them. And I'd love to try Greenbacks, but I thought they were only rated at 25w each.

I was originally planning on WGS ET65s (or actual Creambacks) because of the higher wattage - well, and also because I quite like the ET65s, but I'd love to try something more Greenback sounding if I can find that sound in a higher rated speaker (I've heard people say the Scumback 75s and WGS Invader 50s might fit that bill). I'm shooting for at least a 100w 2x12 in case I ever run the ORI50H at max power.

Ps. 37 and fitz288 like this.
  12. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

Hey Beltalowda! I never crank the amp to the limit (just an at-home player). (I know that wouldn't be a workable situation for a gigging musician, so I would have had to go with a 4x12 of Greenbacks if my playing ever left the house.:))

I checked with Celestion and Avatar before the purchase and both assured me there'd be no issues as long as I didn't run Master and Gain on 10 on High Power for extended periods. I told them that is extremely unlikely to happen inside my house.:)

(I have had the amp on 10 on Low Power, and it's a lot of loud fun.:))

In any event, I've had the amp and cabinet for a few months now, and they're giving me the sound I like at a volume that's satisfying, so thankfully I've been glad I went that route.

Dave at Avatar is great; communication is quick and responsive to any concerns or questions, and the cabinet sounds and looks great.

All the best with your decision!:)

Beltalowda likes this.
  13. fitz288

Yes, 100w min for the O50. :agreed:
    I'd also like to try a pair of 25w greenbacks on my O20, but I'm diggin' my V30s and the recent tube changes.

Beltalowda likes this.
  14. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

Ah, ok, makes sense. I would probably most often run mine at half power, but I'd probably rip it open on occasion. Thanks again!

Ps. 37 likes this.
  15. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Beltalowda likes this.
  16. Beltalowda

Beltalowda Active Member

Just a follow up:

I finally tackled this last week and ordered a closed-back slant 2x12 (2061cx) cab from Sour Mash. There's a 5-6 week lead time, so it will be a while before I get to stuff speakers in it.

I went with the typical Marshall-style tolex, gold piping+string, the vintage checkerboard cloth, and casters.

Pics to follow when it arrives ;)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

17. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Sourmash cabs are affordable and built well, you will not be disappointed. When it comes to speakers I recommend G12EVH (Heritage speakers with the EVH red, black, and white blackback decal) for $50 less per speaker or Scumbacks. Jim is a member here so he can help with the right one plus he offers break in. Good luck!

fitz288 and Beltalowda like this.
  18. Poor Noodle

Poor Noodle New Member

To me the speakers impact the sound overall much more than the cab. On that budget I would get the speakers I want and then just put them in any old cab, MDF, whatever. Then I would upgrade to a better cab at a later time.

For me that might be 2 x Celestion G12H30(75) Heritage at about ca $199 USD each and then something like a Harley Benton 2x12 cab for ca $100 USD. Assuming you buy a loaded cab with speakers that you can then sell to hit the budget mark…

Beltalowda likes this.
  19. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Peavey makes 2 very good cabs at good prices. I have the 2-12” w/ GB speakers that is great for Marshall amps under 50w.
    The other one is a very good cab made of pine and extra deep. It has a V30 and a 75w CB and can handle 100w.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...50-watt-mono-25-watt-stereo-2x12-inch-cabinet

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Invective212--peavey-invective-212-120-watt-2x12-inch-extension-cabinet

Another very nice cab for short money is the the ones Eminence makes. $200 for a very nice 2-12” cab or you can have it loaded with any of their speakers.
    https://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/ext-cab/
    All of these cabs are well made and do not need to be upgraded. If money is no object Mesa cabs are some of the best.

Beltalowda likes this.
  20. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Good choice on the Sourmash 2061CX. I have the Marshall 2061CX.

You're on point getting a quality birch cab. Money doesn't always equate to better tone but some things a player just needs to spend the money on. A good cabinet is one of those imo.

I'd be wary of the EVH suggestion if that person was referring to the same Celestion EVH speakers i have. Mine are only 20 watts a piece. 40 watt cab with a 50 watt head is pushing your luck.

Beltalowda likes this.