2204 2x12: should I rebuild into a JMP 2204 amp head shell??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Frank Graziano, Feb 11, 2021.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How about keep your amp intact and put it aside and get an SC20H have you seen them, its everything youre talking about and more in a smaller package than the amp you currently have. :yesway:

Oh yeah, throw some wheels on your combo to make it easier to move around. :yesway:

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Correct! I fussed about it for 5 minutes then figured out that it didn't matter. Mine being a 50 watt single speaker had the smaller chassis. Nice amp - I gave it to my mom.

@Frank Graziano Another option to gutting the chassis would be @Matthews Guitars build you a custom faceplate. I gotta believe that swaperoo loads easier than a complete rewire.

Russ

Frank Graziano and Gunner64 like this.
  3. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

"Lead dress" (how the wires are arranged) can affect the noise level of an amp. Worst case, it can cause ultrasonic oscillation that can damage the transformers.

Looking at gut shots, you'd have lots of excess length wires going from a JCM chassis to a JMP chassis. So you'd either have to unsolder, shorten, resolder a dozen or so wires, or scrunch/bunch them (risking lead dress problems).

You'll have to disconnect the transformers, since their wires run from the outside of the chassis to the inside.

Your preamp tube sockets may be riveted to the chassis. And they too mount from the outside, so you'd have to unsolder all of their wires. You'd also have to unsolder all the external cap cans.

Then when you move the guts from one chassis to the other, you'll have bits dangling, pulling and tugging on each other. Risking cracked solder joints.

I too prefer JMP cosmetics, but changing to a different style chassis will not be a trivial, simple job.

Putting your chassis into a JCM headshell would be a quick 5 minute job. Maybe 15 minutes if you replace the faceplate at the same time.

4. Frank Graziano

Frank Graziano New Member

I have several great amps already, and really not looking to add ('64 Vox AC30T; Victoria 2012; '66 Champ, and this)...I use to own a '69 50W small box plexi - bought it new, and stupidly sold it)...so I am a bit nostalgic about the head. Thank you!

5. Frank Graziano

For sure, I realize, and plan that this will be a complete redo. But it'd be a fun project, as I already have all the parts, and would just recast it into a JMP head....so I am trying to get all info on what chassis, what cab, what faceplate I should purchase to start the process. Here's what I am thinking: Valvestorm JMP cab ($250); valvestorm face plate ($30); chassis - not sure - Mojotone British 50w chassis - but not sure if it is too wide for the JMP...so, still looking. Thanks

6. Frank Graziano

Chris - your Valvestorm 2204 clone is exactly what I search for...can you provide the specific chassis and faceplates used? If I had that I can get started. Also - the turret board that fits this, as I will likely take the parts off the PCB and put on a turret. Thank you.

7. Frank Graziano

Chris - are these the parts in the JMP 800clone you showed in your pic?

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

If you have the bits and want a project I really, really recommend you just build a new Valvestorm based 50w head. Once you have built it sell the combo.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  9. Frank Graziano

You speak with wisdom....maybe I am just being cheap...but not thay much difference really. Thanks

10. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Yes, I built that 2204 clone and it fits into a Plexi style head. You have to order the cab and specify that it’s 1/4 inch deeper than an actual 50 watt chassis. I got my cab from Sourmash, they even drilled the holes for the logo.

Frank Graziano likes this.
  11. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  12. Frank Graziano

Chris-in-LA likes this.