2202 update

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Jan 15, 2021.

1. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Yeah without handsome Nik they would tank.The guy must spend half his day answering e-mails and just chatting with customers.Friendly guy,and good sense of humor as well.

2. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

That’s what I was hoping also and I asked if they had anything in stock, he (Scott) mailed me 2 x that day:

“Sorry, but no. Nobody has ‘em in stock, unless they build them out of kits, and then it’s not really a Ceriatone.”

Then later that day:
    “Neither myself or the factory has anything in stock…

Sorry, BUT believe me, the wait is well worth it.”

on my first email asking for lead time:

“Hi Bryan, as everything is built at Ceriatone and shipped directly to you, it's the same as factory... 11-15 weeks...
    Catching up a little though...
    Thanks for the inquiry.”

Scott is definitely responsive to emails!!

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Nik is great with emails to, I don’t know how they keep up with everyone. Try calling both place’s and see if they give you the same wait time. Mine would have been pretty much on time but the cab wasn’t ready for a week or so.

4. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Problem now is they’ve got so many great amps I’m dying of multiple choices haha.
    First I heard son of yeti and was like damn! Then heard the 50 and that blew me away. But I’d kinda like to have a 2 channel amp. King Kong sounds great, molecular sounds great....... damn it all haha. Ugh.

5. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric Member

It doesn’t work that way. Nobody here stocks their amps, so they all come direct from Nik, and every new order goes to the bottom of his wait list. The only way to reduce the lead time is to buy it in kit form. Even buying just the built chassis (without head shell) doesn’t help you any.

That said, Nik got new staff building the lunchbox amps, so wait time on those is supposedly closer to “normal.”

6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That’s why they hold their value so high. You can get most all your money back on most of their amps. Nobody wants to wait. I don’t mind it to much, I have 3 great amps now so I’m not stuck. Plus once you get it you know why you waited. I still want a 2 ch Chupacabra which will be my number one amp. I asked Nik about a Carvin X100b amp, which is still one of my favorite amps. He said he looked into them but he doesn’t seem to like to work with EQ’s. Plus that amp is very year specific, 1989 is the one I like. I would pay top dollar for a 2 ch amp with a Chupacabra and X100b mix.

TheOtherEric and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That must be why the small box stuff comes quicker. I ordered my 2202 after people here placed order’s for full size amps and got it before they got theirs.

8. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I just hit him up yesterday with a couple of questions. I always get quick and friendly responses from him.

2203xman likes this.
  9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Ok, the more I play around with this amp the more I like it and the more I feel comfortable recommending it. It’s got to be the best bang for the buck small amp I’ve ever seen. This really is an outstanding value, I really don’t see how anyone looking for a British style amp could go wrong with one of these. It has fantastic tone, a good amount of tone shaping switches, great volume and distortion control and plenty of power. I did add a choke and a buffered loop which work perfect. I tried a bunch of speakers in it but love the Eminence GB128 50w speaker. I think this combo sitting on another 1-12” matching cab would make a killer system for playing out, studio work, practice you name it. Another way to go would be a 2-12” cab and just the head. I think if you like JCM800’s you’ll love this thing. Price is crazy reasonable for what you get.

I also forgot to tell you about the Horse Breaker pedal I got in case the amp needed a little boost, it does not. I wrote this in another thread:
    Horse Breaker double pedal from Ceriatone. If you want a Klon pedal I think they make the best. It works great as a clean boost or to push an amp into a great drive tone. The Breaker side I like even better, great blues drive tones, unique sound that comes from the old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal. It’s like having 3 sets of drive from your amp. You have your amp, then the amp with the Horse side or the amp with the Breaker side or with both sides at once. (Lots of distortion then.) For the folks that say they use a dirt pedal for just a clean boost or just a little drive, I can’t believe way more people aren’t using this pedal, it works great for that type of stuff. But it can do a lot more from crunch to great lead boost tone as well as some nice blues tones. I’m not big on dirt pedals but I must say this one is pretty cool and a keeper. This is not a high distortion pedal like an OCD or something like that. This is much more for getting a good tube type distortion and keeping the amps tone. It’s the first dirt pedal I don’t think I’ll ever sell, it can be used for much more than just distortion, seems it was designed for more of a guy like me that likes his amps tone and only may want to enhance the crunch / drive. Try one.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  10. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Daem ampeq! We're too much alike in what we want from amp and pedal and speaker.:agreed:

Fighting back ordering one...for now. Already got the GB128's. Great Marshall speaker. Total sleeper to most. Keeps the price right for those that know.:D

Congratz man!

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Better than your son of yeti?

12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Man I wish we close so you could take this thing for the weekend and give it whirl, I think you would love it. I put that GB128 in it and it’s so “right” for this amp I’m not even trying anything else.(open back and all) I say go for it, but get the buffered loop and choke, don’t bother with the NFB. The head is probably a better way to go unless you like combos. I gotta get a camera so I can post this thing and my Chupacabra, even if it doesn’t sound right at least I can show all the different ways it can be set. I think a complete head with the choke and buffered loop is only $850 shipped. I think I paid under $1100 complete with a Horse Breaker pedal. By the way, that loop works perfect so far, no noise or change in tone from any of the pedals I’ve tried. Plus it has a shut off switch to take it out of the circuit. I notice no difference on or off in tone with a delay in it. The one thing that would be great is if the boost switch was on the floor and I may do this later. It’s perfect for a lead boost.

Although it does not need it, the Horse Breaker pedal is great addition to this, and I suppose most, amps. The tone of this pedal is much more usable to my ears. Most dirt pedals I really don’t dig, but this thing is different and needs to be tried to understand. It’s not a high gain pedal, so if that’s your thing forget it. But a lot of people here say they use those types of pedals as a boost and that is where this thing shines. You can get a lot of drive out of it, but I don’t think that’s what it was for. The BB side is awesome for blues, great tone. When you combine them they can go into crazy drive. Best dirt pedal I have tried, fantastic with JCM800 or Plexi type amps. Much fuller sound than most dirt pedals, to me anyway. Anyone here try one?

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I would say no, I love that thing, (mines the Chupa) but that’s my sound, the Jose modded thing. This is more of a really good 800, which will appeal to even more Marshall tone lovers. It’s a very flexible amp with very good sound down low and fantastic sound cranked up. I think a great way to go would be a 2-12” cab with GB128’s, sitting on top a 2202 head and a 20w Chupacabra head and use a tube head switching pedal for a 2 ch set up. Ohhhhh baby... you would be blown away by what that setup could do.

Something else I think I'll try later down the line is, see what it would take to do a "Jose hotrod mod" to this amp. (As long as it's reversible or better yet be set up on a switch to go back and forth.)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    pedecamp and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You have a mini chupa?

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

No, I have a 50w Chupacabra std. head. I looked at the Yeti and the Chupa but the Chupa is brighter and has a little more drive to it. wntbtw had the SOY and the mini Chupa, he was a big help to me when I was looking for what to buy. Seems to me the SOY was darker to me, more like a Freidman amp, and sense he had both I could hear the difference. I'm very impressed with the 2 amps I'v gotten from Ceriatone, in build quality sound and price. No Marshall, Fender, or Mesa ever impressed me like these have, ever. I know you have an itch for one too, what do you want the amp to do for the most part? If you like a hot rodded Marshall Chupacabra all the way, no doubt, just an awesome amp. If you like a more 800ish style but want something more flexible than the 2202 is a great amp. Maybe the 2203 / 4 they sell can be outfitted like the 2202 if you need more power. I really like the tone shaping switch's and boost on the 2202. I also really like the buffered loop I added and choke, well worth the money. I still want to order a 2 ch Chupa in 100w, I wish it didn't take so long on the custom stuff. I hope you get to play one at some point, I think you'll be very happy with them.

pedecamp and wntbtw like this.