2202 update

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thank you, yes I just learned this myself. Nik said to crank up the PPIMV and it will be more pronounced. This amp has a NFB switch, as well as Pres. & Resonance, and I have been using the MV almost wide open and the PPIMV for me volume. I'll run it the other way around next and see what we get.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How about a sound clip. :yesway:

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I wish I had a way to do it, I'm going to try a shitty little camera I have. If it works at all I'll post a couple. I would like to put some up for people that want to hear the Chupa too.
    I may call Nik and see what it would take to do a Jose style mod in the 2202. So far it is very 800ish and cranked up it sounds great, but I want it to be more like my Chupa which works great almost anywhere you set it. Tonight I hope to put a better speaker in it, either the ET65 or the GB128. The amp is very bright and could use a duller speaker than the 75w CB I have in now.

4. pedecamp

I have a pair of Wharfedales that are fairly dark you might like, trade for your CB75.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I need the CB, it’s out of a 2-12” cab with a V30. The GB128 works very good in it, tomorrow night I’ll try the ET65. I also want to try blocking the back with plywood, try to give it a closed back vibe. I tried out the bias system, man does that work great. Good thing to, I kept thinking the amp sounded thin so I checked it out. Sure enough the bias was only reading about 16 mv and it should be at 24 mv. I think someone touched the adjustment in the amp when we had it out of it’s case the day it came in. It’s very easy to take it apart if you want to work on it. It’s a perfect amp to buy with no case and build a fancy wood cab and matching speaker cab, furniture grade.

pedecamp likes this.
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of the 2202 combo. So far it is working very well, the right speaker is key to this thing. I like the GB128 best in it so far, if fact I like that speaker in a lot of stuff. (Kinda between a GB & CB but smoother.) I'm going to make a board for the back of the cab to make it more like a closed back cab, just to see how it sounds. With the switch's on the amp you can make it brighter very easy, plus you can thicken it up as well. The "boost" switch would be almost perfect for a lead bump. At some point I may try to tap off of it to a floor switch, that would be handy. This amp is very much a JCM800 but much more controllable, you can get a more driven sound at lower volumes fairly easy. It's best sounds do come from cranking it up though, at least to my ear. You could play a pretty large room with this thing too. The 20w in this little thing crank's, especially for a crunch sound. The standard switch's that come on this amp do quite a bit for tone shaping, adding brightness, more bite, high's and low's, all work good. The NFB I had installed does almost nothing, not worth getting in my opinion. The choke does smooth it out though, according to Nik. The loop I have not tried yet but when I do I'll let you know how it works. I think it would be better to just get the head and a 1-12" cab rather than the combo. If you had one of these and a 20w Chupa sitting on a 2-12" cab, it would be one hell of a nice 2 ch system.

Attached Files:

7. pedecamp

Thats a funny looking amp, have you figured out exactly what the pussy trimmer does?

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Well it's not a small set of shears, Ha! It actually works very well, it cuts the amount of drive back to the front of the amp. Like a limiter for how much you can use. You can run the amp more open or loud without as much distortion. My Chupa has it as well, I'v played around with it but for the most part I run it at about 2/3 up. (This amp may be different we'll see.) This style amp reminds me of Vox, you can order it whatever color you like and a bunch of grill cloth's. I just got the std. one to see if I even like the amp and what I'll do with it down the road. So far it's pretty good, ballsy little thing. I still like the Chupa best but this thing has it's place, great all around small amp. I hope to try the effects loop tonight after I change the speaker back. (The GB128 works great in it.) I'v been messing around with the Horse Breaker drive pedal, I'm surprised more people on here don't use them. The Breaker side has a great tone to it, not a ton of drive though. If you mix the two sides you can get a lot of drive, depending on which way you go. Much more subtle than a lot of the main stream stuff but better tone to my ear.

9. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp! Sounds fun. Got me wanting to hear it.

I use the GB128 with my SC 800 and really like it. I'm going to put 4 of them in my Orange PPC 412. Great higher powered GB that sounds tits with Marshallz & at a killer price.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  10. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

That’s funny, a couple days ago Scott @ Guitar Amps USA (USA distribution) told me 11-15 weeks lead time for a Ceriatone Yeti, but they were catching up a little.
    Probably for the best as I think a King Kong may be what I really want, I’d like 2 channels for gigging.

11. pedecamp

Can you get the 2202 tones out of your chupa?

12. TheOtherEric

TheOtherEric Member

11-15 weeks seems optimistic given that they’re running 19-20 weeks right now, way longer than promised. Maybe orders are slowing, who knows.

13. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Very nice amp.20 weeks out on my order now.Ceriatone has become very popular,and they're still a small company.IMO still worth the wait for a hand built amp.

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Without a dought! Until they get bought up and ruined by someone looking for just money.

2203xman likes this.
  15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Most of them I would say, the ones it might not do I don’t think you would want. The Chupa will do more than the 2202, but both have their place. I would say if you like a more traditional Marshall tone the 2202 would do you well. If you like a modded Marshall tone, especially Jose type, Chupacabra all the way. You can’t go wrong either way.

wntbtw and pedecamp like this.
  16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

For some reason the amps in the smaller size box, like my 2202, seem to be coming quicker. Was it the Yeti or the Son Of Yeti?

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

You should be any day now. Email Nik just to see how she’s coming and he will give you a very close shipping time. He has never got back to me in more than 12 hrs.

18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Isn’t that the most underrated speaker going, and for $75!

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  19. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Yeti

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It may be because as long as it’s a standard amp that guy gets them all the time. The most popular are always coming in, I got my Chupa from him quicker than I would have from Nik.