2202 update

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I just talked to Nik and my custom 2202 combo should ship next week. If anyone is thinking about one and can hold off for a couple weeks I can fill you in. I should also have a Horse Breaker pedal coming as well. I added a few mods to mine, choke, NFB, buff. loop, just to see how they work out. It only up'd the price about $150 so I still got this sweet little combo for about $1000. We'll see!

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I anticipate it being like a hot rodded SC20. I read a few reviews of this amp and they say its really loud probably as loud as a full sized JCM800. Looking forward to your review! :yesway:

3. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

From the vids I've heard they sound really good.

4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yeah it is supposed to be quite loud even though it has a PPIMV. But most people I’ve talked to, and tons of reviews say it’s like the best 800 they ever heard. I really like the 800 so I hope so. How close is the SC20 to a good older 800?

5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Would love to hear what it sounds like.

6. DonP

DonP Active Member

Been over a week. Waiting to hear a review.

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It should be on it’s way this week I think. I’ll email Nik and see.

pedecamp likes this.
  8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Nik said the amp is done, they are just waiting on the cab and it should ship very soon. “Yippee”

In the mean time I’ll need a speaker for it. I have these to try:
    ET 65
    ET 90
    Retro 30
    GB128
    V30
    75w CB
    BR12 100w Carvin
    GB (25w) will try with 2 though

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    pedecamp likes this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Try them all! :yesway:

DonP likes this.
  10. DonP

DonP Active Member

Besides all, I guess the V30?

11. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@ampeq
    There are several things that I like very much:
    A> 6V6 instead of EL84, or the EL34 of the Marshall Studio Series.
    B> Standard style MASTER, along with the PPIMV. This will effective work as the send level for your effects loop, as well as allow you to adjust how hard the phase inverter is driven, which can help you find the sweet balance setting with your PPIMV.
    C> Boost switch. The only downside I see is that this "Boost" is not foot switchable!​
    And yes please reports, reviews, etc! I thought there was already NFB in the form of PRESENCE control? Although I see that he does not tap the PRESENCE feed from the standard location. Likely because of the PPIMV?

And yeah, the SC20 is a fairly reasonable approximation of a real JCM800/2204, once you take into account the lower wattage and less air movement from the speaker(s) that lower wattage provides.

Just Hopin' You Enjoy The Wait! :p
    Gene

12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I hope to get it next week, I’m getting itchy now because the amp is done and we’re just waiting for the cob to show up. I like a lot of the stuff you do and I have never seen a bad review on the 2202. I never knew you can use the MV for the send level, I use the Line 6 HX Effects in 4 CM. I have one of their pedals coming as well, the Horse Breaker, should work great with the amp and can be used for dirt and / or boost. I’ll let you know when I get it, then we’ll see what she can do. I really think it will be a great grab and go amp once I get the right speaker in it.

13. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

While not mentioned as a "feature" I simply looked at the layout in under the "Documention" tab and saw where it's placed in the circuit. I'm not sure how having the "Buffered Effects Loop" might affect its operation, or what the pot on that effects loop does, as there are no descriptions for the loop. My guess is that on this particular model, a buffered loop may not have been necessary, due to that "MASTER" control and in practice, it may actually complicate the use of the buffered loop. On the plus side, I see that there are selectable levels on your Line6 unit, so you'll likely be good to go?

I did forget to mention that I also really like the eternal bias adjustments!

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions and possibly helping you figure out what this amp can really do. I love 6V6 amps!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I believe the loop is the Metro design and Nik said it is worth getting. I want to test it against my std. loop in the Chupa. I really don’t know why all amps don’t have that bias system, it’s so much better than the other way. My Chupa has it and it lets you use unmatched tubes as well as make an easy check and adjustment. I’m also looking forward to that double pedal. Depending on how much drive the amp has I may even incorporate it into the amp. This should be a very good test amp, we’ll see.

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Gene, I asked Nik about the loop and this is what he said.

"It's similar loop to the metro indeed, it uses the LND150 FET, not tube. As for the loop, it depends. The above loop works fine in the JCM800 type, but can be tricky in others."

So it is like the Metro Zero Lose loop in this amp, for my new Chupa it will most likely be a little different. I guess he uses different loops for different amps because not all work great with all amps. This is yet another reason I like working with Nik, he is on top of things I know nothing about and will warn you about a bad move. Most people just sell you anything you want for the money. At least Nik will tell you the outcome and why you should or should not do that. As I like my amps and do not want to "fake" one, my best option for effects to date has been that little Line-6 HX Effects. As long as the loop I get works good with it I'm happy. That thing has so many different effects in it you can always find the "right one" for what you are doing. I just found out it has a favorite's file as well, you can put all the effects you like best in it for quick grab. I only use a couple reverbs and delay's, a boost and 2 dirt pedals for the most part. I can even set them the way I use them most and they are ready to go, pretty cool. Pretty handy little box if all you need are effects.

Nik said my amp is done and the pedal will be done in a day or so, everything should ship within a couple days. It looks to me like it will end up being about 3 weeks past it's due date by the time I get it. Sure hope it's worth the wait!

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

She finally shipped! My 2202 should be here Monday / Tuesday, and so did the pedal but separate. We’re getting closer...

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Guess what I got! Played around a little with it at lunch today, just to make sure everything worked. One thing I did notice right away was the PPIMV works great, no problem at all running at bedroom volumes. I had heard people saying it was to loud and you could not play real low, I had no problem bringing it right down to a whisper. I also got the Horse Breaker pedal which seemed very good for a quick test. I can tell you the amp does not need the extra drive of the pedal, like I thought it might. I'll try and get some info for everyone as I learn how it works.

wntbtw, GIBSON67, pedecamp and 3 others like this.
  18. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

I really like what I have heard and read from the 2202.It may have been a better choice for my needs than a plexi 51,but I love plexi amps as well.

19. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Ok, so far from what I have played with it seems like an 800 all the way. However you can control the volume much better. I think I like it best with the MV way up and only a little drive, you can dial in how much you want. The PPIMV works very good, between it and the MV you can get most any volume. The NFB does almost nothing, that I would not get. I have not tried the loop yet. (We’re buried in snow, no time.) When it’s cranked up it sounds very good, ballsy. At lower volumes it sounds a little thin, but that may be due to me and the speaker in it. I will be trying different speakers next, and then close back cabs. I’ll keep you posted as I learn how it works.

I just learned Nik is 300 amps behind! So much for my custom amp.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  20. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

When I had 2 master volumes, my presence control(NFB)
    wouldn't work until I maxed the PPIMV, FYI. Not sure your amp is same, though.