>

2061x vs. SV20H - Thoughts On Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bgreed2, May 13, 2021.

1. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

I love my 2061x, but it seems to be a one-trick rock n' roll beast with very little headroom and it doesn't take pedals extremely well. Hey, nothing wrong with that, eh? Everything is dead stock and to spec. However, I have to admit that the SV20H, from what I've heard in the demos, is a bit intriguing as leans more toward the versatile 45/100 benchmark tone I strive for. Since there aren't any to be seen in the stores I have no chance to play one in person. My Marshall Guru tech sides with sticking with the better, handwired quality of the 2061x.

Have any of you played these two amps side-by-side?

tce63 likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Buy one, do a side by side comparison, report back here, return it if you dont like it or sell your 2061x if you do like it. :yesway:

3. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

Makes too much sense!!

4. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I used to own a 2061x and now have the SV20H. The 2061x is NOT a small Plexi the SV20H is.
    As you said the 2061x does not take all pedals well. It sounds great with the right pedal, but most sound lousy. My 2061x was louder and the hand wired construction was top notch....but it just didn't have THAT tone. The EL84's seem to give a nasal quality that is nigh impossible to dial out.
    The SV20 can use any octal based valve, is cathode biased, so no re-biasing, has a very usable effects loop, low power mode (around 3w) sounds great, so good to use at home and has THAT tone....I suppose the ONLY downside is the non-handwired construction.
    It still has all the benefits of the four inputs and they are more user friendly.
    The 2061x is a great amp that does it's job very well, but I much prefer the SV20.
    I part traded my 2061x for a 1962 Bluesbreaker RI and bought the SV20 to fill the void. It does that.....and so much more.

purpleplexi, Tiboy, tce63 and 8 others like this.
  5. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

You, Sir, have answered every one of my questions with the mindset I was looking for. Sure, the 2061x is a great Marshall amp, but it is its own thing and not the mini-Plexi I had hopes of finding. Thank you for your input.

6. schwa

schwa Active Member

I thought I might offer a different perspective.

I for one am a fan of the 2061x, it's my favorite Marshall and I have several.

I've never played a real plexi, but I've been around my fair share of amps. I can say the 2061x IS a 4 hole NMV amp with a lot of great tones in it. I'm note sure what pedals "don't work" with the amp, but I have good luck when using them.

In the end - maybe the SV20 is "better". But the 2061x works for me, and I don't pine for an upgrade.

7. Georgiatec

Don't get me wrong....I loved my 2061x. I would still have it, but a 1962RI combo came my way and I couldn't see myself using the 2061x a lot if I bought it. Then turns out the guy with the 1962RI would like to trade for my 2061x as he wanted a small NMV head....deal done.
    The SV20 isn't better, it's just different, more civilised with modern features that make it more versatile and it has that EL34 plexi tone.
    The 2061x is an old school, seat of your pants amp that when dialled right, with the correct pedals sounds glorious....no good at home without an attenuator though.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and jon1917 like this.
  8. jon1917

jon1917 Active Member

Have you tried the amp through some different speakers?

tce63 likes this.
  9. Georgiatec

Yeah....lots.
    2061cx cab with 2 '73 vintage pulsonic Greenbacks in it.
    425 a & b fullstack
    1960 a & b fullstack with V30 and G12T-75's mixed in X pattern.
    1936 with G12M-65 Creambacks.
    VS 112 with a 1980 G12-65
    1922 with two re-coned '69 Greenbacks.

The best was the 2061cx with the 1936 underneath.

10. jon1917

jon1917 Active Member

Ha, you gave it every chance then.
    Interesting. I have a G12H-75 Creamback in a diy open back cab. I think it helps having a speaker that doesn't break up much. I found that lower sensitivity speakers were great but the sound collapsed too much at higher volume.

tce63, bgreed2 and Georgiatec like this.
  11. Georgiatec

One of those came OEM with my Astoria Dual combo (8 ohm). TBH I wasn't a fan....compared to the 65w version. I've put it in my daughter's amp for her to abuse and break in and hopefully mellow a little.
    I put one of the new 90w Alnico Creambacks in the Astoria. Really good sounding speaker...not to be confused with cheap though.

tce63, jon1917 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

Yes, actually... a 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's in a rehearsal hall with backline. It sounded great!! Ironically I was recently gifted a decent DIY 4x12 1960A clone with some cheapo Celestion G12C-30's in it. I need to do some work to it first
    and am anxious to at least try these speakers. My 2061cx sounds fine with my JTM45 so I am hoping to keep it.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Georgiatec, jon1917 and tce63 like this.
  13. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

Thanks, Ed. I am trying my best to stick with the 2061x. It really only doesn't take gain pedals and in the right band I shouldn't even need one. Other pedals are fine.

tce63 likes this.
  14. Georgiatec

Have you experimented putting gain pedals in a jumper link between the lead and bass channels?
    E.g. Input your guitar into top left, a lead then goes to your gain pedal input from bottom left, then from pedal output to top or bottom right input on the amp.
    There are lots of different combinations using the four inputs and they all sound different.
    The best pedal I tried was a humble Joyo Hot Plexi....approx $50.

tce63 and Sustainium like this.
  15. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

And I would agree with everything he said. Haven't spent a huge amount of time with the 2061 ( I bought the matching cab from a guy who was selling both) and I liked it at the time but it's not a plexi. If that's what you want. And I do.

bgreed2 and tce63 like this.
  16. schwa

schwa Active Member

I'm not sure what to say regarding gain pedals except that my experience has been pretty positive.

I usually run the amp with both volumes up around noon, which has enough gain for most of my needs, backing off on the guitar volume for cleaner sounds.

For a "little more", I have had good luck with many pedals. For Jimi, I find it mates well with a nice fuzz face. I have joked that 2061x's should come with a Top Boost (I like the Beano boost from Analogman) in the box. A TS type or Fulltone full drive also work well. A KOT is also great.

I use all of the pedals as a boost - not so much drive, but to increase the level going into the amp.

One of the things I gave up when I went to simpler Marshall circuits were things like chorus, echo, and delay (Stuff usually found in a loop). I don't really miss them, but did add an Echoplex which also works for the little I use it.

In practice, I don't step on the pedals that much, but they're not a problem.

There have been times when I wanted my rig to do "every sound". It was a big step forward for me when I realized I only needed one good sound (with some variation).

As we have seen, YMMV.

bgreed2 likes this.
  17. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

Again, this is some great input.

I have been jumping channels on my inputs probably since before most of you were born! :p I use it as more of an EQ, but jumping the gain pedal in-between is interesting.

After a lot of research and demo-listening I picked up a Love Pedal "Vintage Modern" and just love it. I have one side set as more of a boost and I think this may do the trick. Just gives things a little push instead of overwhelming it with gain. I am also searching for one of his Purple Plexi + Boost and they are disappearing rapidly!

tce63 likes this.
  18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

A big difference is that 2061x has no negative feedback while a 1959/1987/SV20 has quite a bit of negative feedback. This has a bearing on the amount of clean headroom in the power amp, but it really has a bearing on feel.

Two different beasts. In true MF fashion I say you need both beasts.

bgreed2, WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  19. booh

booh Member

Here is a comparison between 2061 and SLP100 by Johan Segeborn, which convinced me to search for a 2061 shortly before the cheaper SV20 was released:

bgreed2 likes this.