(2022) New Marshall Rumors:

JBA

Reaction score
I loved the look of the Astoria- all of them. I find the modern Marshall head shell look (i.e. 800 series and beyond) as well as the black grill cloth /white piping really boring/bland/blah (30th Anniversary were nice) .

I much prefer the old 70s options with Purple, Blue, Green, White, Red , etc tolex, checkerboard and basketweave. And I think the Astorias were a welcome change. But I like variety- I hate seeing the SOS year after year. Things need a new coat of paint once in awhile.

That said, the modern boring look would not keep, and has not kept, me from buying them. An amp would have to be really fuggly for me not to bother with it, if it sounded great..like a tuck and roll Kustom or something level of ugly.
I’ll need an Astorichina so I can afford one if that’s not to much to ask. :fingersx:

jeffb

Reaction score
I’ll need an Astorichina so I can afford one if that’s not to much to ask. :fingersx:
No doubt the pricing was a huge issue. I'd love to have one, but I'm guessing they have become collector's items.

That said- the current RI line are getting into the same price region in recent months.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, I don't think that's the case at all, or rather this perspective of the fanbase is skewed in part. They have introduced new amps that sound really good- Vintage Moderns, Astoria series, Origins.

Only the Origin has been super successful and that's largely because it is (was?) super affordable- no "classic" sounding tube Marshall has ever been affordable. A sizeable percentage of fans felt "cheated" by the Vintage Modern (because they didn't understand what the amp actually was and trying to accomplish), so they are likely critical of new amps that would be along the same lines, but they still want the same thing- a hot rod plexi with some modern features. The Astoria series suffered from really bad marketing, extreme pricing, and an aesthetic that was polarizing. Marshall was in a weird place when the Astoria's came out.

I would say that the majority of Marshall fans are not looking to break new tonal barriers, so it's not that they are convinced "new is bad", but rather, "I don't want new...I want old, but with some added modern features" thus why the Studio series have been through the roof sales-wise. The majority don't want a JVM 2 or JMD 2 with 14 new sound modes and models, they want a SV20 with a hot rod gain boost option and a MV of some sort. Or they want a perfected DSL- a plexi/hot plexi on Green, and a 2203/Hot 2203 on Red. Look here in this thread for how many are clamoring for mini stack reissues. People want the old sounds, but in a more practical form factor and increased ease of use. That is where Marshall could really make a killing...*IF*...they are willing to take a hit in sales of their prestigious and expensive RI series heads. As the music world is changing these "prestige" amps are becoming more and more like artifacts from an age long gone for younger people. They have no need for them and there is maybe 20 years left before all of us older folks won't be the customer base anymore and almost nobody will give a shit about using a 50/100 Watt 4 holer and MV amps anymore.

That's my take anyway.
Well said Jeff,…

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I loved the look of the Astoria- all of them. I find the modern Marshall head shell look (i.e. 800 series and beyond) as well as the black grill cloth /white piping really boring/bland/blah (30th Anniversary were nice) .

I much prefer the old 70s options with Purple, Blue, Green, White, Red , etc tolex, checkerboard and basketweave. And I think the Astorias were a welcome change. But I like variety- I hate seeing the SOS year after year. Things need a new coat of paint once in awhile.

That said, the modern boring look would not keep, and has not kept, me from buying them. An amp would have to be really fuggly for me not to bother with it, if it sounded great..like a tuck and roll Kustom or something level of ugly.
This color scheme looked nice.

Or like this

That last one is basically like the JMP AFD100 headshell.

Phoenix1

Reaction score
Winter Namm was cancelled.
Marshall prices seem to be going up recently.
Has anyone heard of any positive new product rumors or news for Marshall in 2022?
Anything?
I keep contacting the UK Bletchley factory about when they will be back in production After Covid as the UK is a mess. I have had a full stack 100 watt Silver Jubilee oordered since last October. They keep telling me it will be coming but seems thats all I hear.

Dale Faulkner

Reaction score
Winter Namm was cancelled.
Marshall prices seem to be going up recently.
Has anyone heard of any positive new product rumors or news for Marshall in 2022?
Anything?
Prices are insane! I bought a Marshall SV 20 for 1299. I got it 2 months ago and it took 11 months to get cause of Covid and supply chain issues. So 13 months in total. Their now 1899. Such a rip off. Lol

Norfolk Martin

Reaction score
Respectfully, I don't think that's the case at all, or rather this perspective of the fanbase is skewed in part. They have introduced new amps that sound really good- Vintage Moderns, Astoria series, Origins.

That's my take anyway.

Yes, you're right. -my perspective was somewhat cynical, and not necessarily accurate. The point was trying to make is that is especially hard for "traditional" manufacturers of music gear that was popular in the 60s to do anything innovative in the current "vintage mania " culture that dominate a lot of internet discussion of gear.

The only way Gibson seems to be able to please its fanbase is with yet another "even more authentic" reissue of the 59 burst . Marshall is stuck with the spectre of the "Plexi" and the 2203/2204 (depending on how old you are) and the ( IMO false) belief that these amps are worth far more than new production because they have a unique sound that cannot be produced by modern equivalents.

I grew up in a family of electronics techs, and spent 25 years in the business. I frankly hate the festishization of old gear that had come to dominate the markets . I'm sick of the whole " hand wired amps with turret boards have a completely different , and much better sound - the PCB sucks tone" or "I changed my modern output transformed for a vintage ABC123, and the difference is like night and day " crowd. Don't get me started on people building boutique amps using cloth covered wire because it "sounds better."

I was doing electronic service work in the 70's, and you'll have to trust me me that nearly all of this stuff (and nonsense) had grown up since then. So, rant aside, I do feel that this "vintage sounds better" culture does more to stifle innovation than the predilections of of the manufacturers themselves. It's hard to innovate when the general mood is that such equipment peaked between 1960 and 1980.

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
I got the Astoria Dual Head, never bothered with the cab though as I have a 2x12 with a Creamback and V30 already.

Here it is on my Vox 2x12 (greenbacks). Great amp, got a Demo from Sweetwater, still it was pricey AF though.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
When it comes to tube amp electronics simpler is better, less is more. The less connections between the signal chain the better SNR, less things to go wrong and much easier to repair when they fail. Multi layered or multi board PCB designs have more capacitance and noise than a single layer board. Large common ground plane in the signal path is an antenna to the noise universe. The smaller the components the harder to replace a component, easier to replace the board, more global waste. Its all counter intuitive. The law of diminishing returns should be applied and respected. Mostly for audio quality sake but also for the large landfills.

A high gain amp especially should take all of these into account in the design. Use three amps on a ABC switch to get your different tones. Each one could be repaired when needed, more to go for resale when you're done with it, it stays out of the land fill.

We need basics, the virtual world isn't real, once we get back to reality, that rock and roll will make sense again.

Err maybe I'm just old and nothing makes sense to me anymore.

Last edited:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I think the small gold frosted logo and gold piping (jtm 45 and 1959) look was the best. I always wonder why the 1987 didn't get the gold logo.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
When it comes to tube amp electronics simpler is better, less is more. The less connections between the signal chain the better SNR, less things to go wrong and much easier to repair when they fail. Multi layered or multi board PCB designs have more capacitance and noise than a single layer board. Large common ground plane in the signal path is an antenna to the noise universe. The smaller the components the harder to replace a component, easier to replace the board, more global waste. Its all counter intuitive. The law of diminishing returns should be applied and respected. Mostly for audio quality sake but also for the large landfills.

A high gain amp especially should take all of these into account in the design. Use three amps on a ABC switch to get your different tones. Each one could be repaired when needed, more to go for resale when you're done with it, it stays out of the land fill.

We need basics, the virtual world isn't real, once we get back to reality, that rock and roll will make sense again.

I agree but only to a point. I'll chose a 1987/tweed twin over a JVM any day, but in the other direction, the tweed Champ doesn't cut it. except in very specific conditions.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Oh my god!!!! somebody's selling an Astoria Classic on Reverb for $3500 and calling it "a great pedal platform". For $3500 the damn thing better sound good with NO pedals. Want a pedal platform? Get a Peavey Bandit.

neikeel

Reaction score

I agree but then we are getting old. After all we cycle through phones, pcs lap tops, fridges etc so I guess amps are going the same way. They do lots of fantastic things, become obsolete when OM support dries up and they go to landfill when you buy the newest model. The same is happening to electric cars - once the batteries go they are scrap.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
Well at least scrap can be recycled and a battery replaced. :) They need a technology that can refurbish old car batteries or use the raw material for something else.

There are just too many people, I'm old. At 60 I have less liberties to do things than when I was 21 just because of too much population. Camping without seeing other people for a week, driving just for sight seeing, the list is long. Seeing blue sky instead of smoke haze, used to see the entire rocky mountains with snow caps into July clear from the plains, I can't see the mountains now. Still get occasional clear nights with billions of stars, unless its fire season.

I'm beginning to understand curmudgeons

XTRXTR

Reaction score
I'd say start a organization TWOC The World Order of Curmudgeons but that would likely splinter off into several versions. The First Curmudgeons Org, The Curmudgeons First Org, The Org of First Curmudgeons.

Sounds like a Monty Python bit.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Your not alone.
Marshall product prices have recently risen greatly also.
Im not sure an exact percentage, but it seems like prices have risen maybe 30% ???, in the past 12 months.
And despite higher prices, the lack of availability is another issue.
Weird times .

Any thing using electronic components and/ICU chips are going up like crazy. My company is experiencing severe component increases and if you dont pay they have demands from others just like that.

Latest posts