2018 Marshall DSL 100H

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Brian Potter, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Brian Potter

Brian Potter New Member

I have A Marshall DSL 100H powers on but has no output sound. I bought amp in Dec 2019, bought it brand new. all was well for about 6 or 7 months then it made a popping sound with a loud hiss and went quiet, I have many different heads so I let it go for awhile. I'm trying to find out, what the common problems of this model of Marshall are. I'm new to the forum and would greatly appreciate any help or advise. if these heads have had a history of certain failures, that's would give me a starting point other than the tubes, fuses, and pots. I can find no shorts everything looks normal, has anyone seen this in this model????

2. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Brian. I’ve not heard of any common failures for these heads. However, I own the 40C so others that have this head may chime in here.

Tell us what you have checked so far. I’m assuming you have swapped out the tubes to check as they are a common point of failure for no sound. Also when a tube goes it can take out the fuse too.

Try plugging you guitar directly into the effects return to see if you have sound. If so, then the problem is in your preamp section, if not, the start at the power amp section. Look closely for any failed/burned resistors and bad solder connections.

If you’re not getting any results with the above check voltages. You said it powers on - are the tubes glowing? If so it would appear the heater circuit is working but you may want to check voltages to confirm it’s correct.

Do you by chance have an oscilloscope and signal generator (and dummy load would be helpful)? You could trace the signal through the amp to see where it stops to at least narrow down the area - if not down to the component.

Old Punker likes this.
  3. Max Gahne

Max Gahne Active Member

Isn't it still under warranty? Have you tried headphones in the emulated out? Put it in standby and try headphones. If you get sound it's in the power amp and I would be curious to see if I had voltage on the power tube screens when the stnby is in lo or hi.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    KraftyBob likes this.
  4. SlapHand

SlapHand Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I do not know about the 100H but I have the 40C and the 40Cr.

Both of them had tube issues when they were brand new. The 40C had a powertube go out after just a couple of hours playing and the Cr had a preamptube fail... also after just a few hours operating.

Both amps have been working like a charm after replacing the tubes.

I guess transportation can be hard on those tubes...

5. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I would take it to a Marshall repair facility to have it repaired under its 5-year warranty.

6. Brian Potter

Brian Potter New Member

I have a New set of tubes ordered should be arriving Tues, Wed (pre and power). I have a signal generator but not an oscilloscope (but can borrow one). I will do all the suggestions this evening after work and post my results. I know the amp was shipped from NJ warehouse to TN. Thank you all for the Help