2015 Dsl40c Sound Abruptly Stops And Everything Freezes

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pspagnolia, Jul 4, 2018.

1. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the info pspagnolia. Did he say which IC was replaced?

2. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware the 40c does not have reverb, only the 40cr.

3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Of course the DSL40c has reverb...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

My mistake, I don't own one and thought that the 40cr was a new model with reverb.

5. pspagnolia

pspagnolia New Member

No He just said the "programmed IC" I tried to figure out which IC it was but for the life of me I cant tell. I did see the 3 relays that were replaced. However I have no clue where it is. Put it this way, there's reasons I sent this to Marshall, I have no idea what does what on this amp. I simply want to plug it in and it works. That said, I would bet its the IC on the reverb board as that board has all the digital stuff on it.

Mitchell Pearrow and KraftyBob like this.
  6. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets New Member

Hi everyone,

Relatively new writer on this forum, and looking for clues on this exact symptom as well.

Just bought a 2nd hand DSL40C recently, and all was well until two days ago.

- I turned it on and left it on standby for maybe 5 minutes while I tinkered with another amp. When I finally disengaged the standby, the DSL40C was"frozen". No sound, none of the channel switches worked, it was locked up. A quick turn off and on of the power switch and it came back to life.

- This has happened twice now in the last couple of days. Another thing that happened (only once) was when three minutes into playing from start up, and the amp suddenly went quiet. Again, no switches or buttons work or are able to change. Probably the same issue because of the symptoms...

No rhyme or reason when this freeze will or will not occur from start. Obviously not a tube issue, but some sort of relay (or perhaps the IC that is mentioned above?) I might try to look inside to see if there is anything obvious, otherwise I'm taking it back for service.

Would love to be armed with proper knowledge about what's going on in order to help the music store. I will keep you informed about how things progress...

7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I have one that has been doing this for 3 years and it almost went in thengarabage I was and am so PO’d with it.

I detailed my bad experience with this issue in more than one thread on this forum and have wasted far to many hours working on it.

It has been to my Tech probably 5 times for this issue and it’s still there as Imtype this post. He thought he had it fixed a few times but after a few days or weeks it would happen again until it finally started doing it all the time.

He found the issue to be a bad chip on the PCB. Not sure of the name but it is programmed to control all the relays and switches. Apparently it went bad and the out put from it would hang up upon power up and/or during operation and he was able to detect it and see it on a scope.

So he contacted Marshall. They sent him a new chip. Replacement boards are not available anymore. He has it installed and is testing the shit out of it and so far it’s fine. It only took 1.5 months for him to receive the chip from Marshall.

Once I get it back I’m selling it because I have grown to hate this Phucking amp and I am done with DSLs forever.

8. MarshallDog

When I talk with him I’ll ask him the exact name of the chip and get a better description of it for you.

Mines under warranty so it’s not costing me anything other wise I would have junked it or parted it out on eBay.

9. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

5 years, no issues. I’ve heard about a lot of issues with the CR’s. Not so much with the C’s.

Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  10. jericbrazier

5 years, no issues. I’ve heard about a lot of issues with the CR’s. Not so much with the C’s.

11. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

My amp does this occasionally as well. It looks like IC4 on the schematic has some I/O for the relays. The chip appears to be a programmable IC chip that cost around $2. Why you need this chip to switch channels & reverb on/off is beyond me, but some of the I/O labels are interesting.

12. MarshallDog

The chip is cheap for sure BUT the issue is the programming of it which Marshall is very protective of.

13. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets New Member

Thanks so much for the additional replies - it's appreciated considering the topic is a bit old. I'm still trying to figure out if there is any rhyme to the incidents I'm having but it sounds as if I might be chasing an unknown. Man, I'd love to learn more about that IC. I will do some more searching with this info...

Thanks everyone!

14. MarshallDog

Im willing to bet its the same issue based on what you are experiencing!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  15. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets New Member

Yeah - it's no use questioning tube problems or anything like that. The above symptoms sound bang-on. The amp simply locks up, and a re-boot stops the problem...

16. jericbrazier

Yeah, mine’s been solid as a rock!

17. jericbrazier

Your’s sounds like it’s got a bad tube, probably from the power amp.

18. jericbrazier

The dsl40c does have reverb. The R in CR stands for revision.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  19. Mjojo51

Mjojo51 Member

The problem is poor contact on ic4 a 20 pin ic. Remove reverb board covering it Carefully pull the ic out of the socket without bending pins and spray with contact cleaner both the ic and socket and carefully plug it back in. I couldn't get a replacement anywhere on the planet thinking it was bad so did this and problem solved and never acted up again.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Very cool information there buddy, thanks for sharing..
    Cheers
    Mitch

Leonard Neemoil and MarshallDog like this.