2015 Dsl40c Sound Abruptly Stops And Everything Freezes

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pspagnolia, Jul 4, 2018.

1. pspagnolia

pspagnolia New Member

Hi all I’m sure this has been beaten to death on this forum however it’s a new issue to me.

So I’m playing the dirty channel with a lespaul gain up about half way and volume up on 3.5. All of a sudden the amp stops producing any sound whatsoever. All controls freeze, footswitch is non responsive. Led’s Are still lit and tubes are lit. No pedals in line, cord is good and not shorting at all. I turn power switch off then on, I hear what sounds like a relay click in the background and sound is immediately back and working fine until it happens again 5 minutes later. Inside all fuses are still intact.
    Has anyone found a fix for this one? I just dropped it the repair shop under warranty however, if I can steer him in the right direction it would be helpful. Thanks

2. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Man, that's a new one for me. I have a DSL40C, trying to think of what that could be. A short in the wiring? We have lots of solid techs here, someone should have a much better recommendation of what is causing this. Best of luck!

pspagnolia likes this.
  3. pspagnolia

pspagnolia New Member

I have a suspicion that it’s the effects loop relay. Or one of the other relays. We’ll see what he comes up with. It’s not the tubes. They’re brand new and biased properly. Been checked so I know they’re good. It’s definately internal to the amp.

Micky likes this.
  4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

What you do is: Connect a guitar cable between send and return jacks, then re-test.

pspagnolia likes this.
  5. Andrey Kutyaev

Andrey Kutyaev New Member

Hi, I guess I had the same issue with mine (2015 build :)). Maybe not, but since it is that easy, I would still recommend trying. After re-soldering all suspicious solder joints on the board, cleaning all connectors, replacing tubes etc. I found a bloody simple fix to it: thoroughly clean all (20ea) pins on AT2313 chip used in channel switching and effects loop. a) Pull the amp out of the cabinet; b) Carefully remove reverb module off its connector (con7) and two plastic stand offs; c) carefully pry the chip out from its connector block using precision screwdriver or similar - note pins are very weak and easy to break so pry the chip evenly at both sides and try to pull it vertically; d) flush contactor block with non-residue electronics cleaner (I use one in aerosol - work great) and clean all pins of the chip using same cleaner and cotton swabs; Put all back together and enjoy. Hope this will solve your issue, Andrey

pspagnolia likes this.
  6. pspagnolia

pspagnolia New Member

I will try that if it happens again after I get it back from the 'Marshall authorized warranty tech'. He's pretty good so I'm hoping he figures out what it is.

7. pspagnolia

pspagnolia New Member

Wow this is great! I'll pass the info along to my tech. When you tried this it fixed your issues with the amp?

8. nevermind

nevermind Active Member

Been a while since I've pulled chips from a socket on a circuit board. Brings back great memories...

9. Andrey Kutyaev

Andrey Kutyaev New Member

Hi there. Apologies - I am not always on and off in the middle of nowhere now:) Yes, what I did has fixed my issue which was random but frequent sudden cut outs and in's. It even killed power tube when did it at high volume once. It did it just for 0.2sec then and bang was that loud that I nearly sh...d my pants. let me know how you go.

10. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

This is exactly what would happen to mine after owning it for 3 years from new. Then it stopped doing this and upon power up its dead no sound switching does not work. Cycle power and fine. Never know when or how many times it may do it.

Tried everything possible and what others mention above...unsuccessful!!

Took it to my awesome amp Tech twice. Thought he had it fixed...nope, a few weeks later it did it again.

The issue is that it happens to car and few between.

So I just gave it away. Cant sell it, They would want to return it. A real POS amp. I”ll ne ernown another DSL. Only amp Ive had this many issues with.

Good luck but my reco is get it to a Tech ASAP or return it if you can.

11. walshb

walshb Active Member

A good friend of mine went through 2 of them before giving up on them, same issue, cutting out during a gig or practice. Amp tech would get it "fixed" but the problem would eventually return. You couldn't give me one of these things.

12. MarshallDog

Well...sad...but Im glad Im not the only sorry ass that experienced this crap! Was wondering if it was just my good luck?!

13. ampmadscientist

DSL in general seems to be plagued with technical problems.

You did bypass the effects loop with a guitar cable? connect send to return through a cable?

You did install swap new preamp tube one at a time in each socket, and retest each time?
    You only need 1 new tube to do this.

You did plug guitar signal (or any audio) into effects return to test just the power amp?

It would be helpful if you eliminate these first, and forget what the tech did.
    Then post the results here.

with enough information, we should be able to narrow this down to what causes it.

14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

3 1/2 years no issues :)

jericbrazier likes this.
  15. MarshallDog

Did all this and so much more...I have spent more hrs working on it then playing it, seriously! My amp tech is literally a genus and even he has had two rounds with it. I told him to call Marshall and have them send him a new PCB or a whole new chassis (they say there are NO know problems, no shit really) or I will make a YouTube video of this POS being smashed to phucking pieces with a sludge hammer. Th issue is that it is so intermittent! Even if they authorize it, I am now at a HATE relationship with it and dont want it. I would just sell it off and be done...thats the way I roll...thanks.

16. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Dawg...you've got so many great amps. How often did you play the damn thing anyway?
    Knock on wood no issues with my DSL40 yet!!!
    BP

17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Mine is a 2015 too :ohno:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  18. ampmadscientist

You plugged audio into return, and the problem is still there? You're sure?

That's basically saying that the problem is the power amp.

19. MarshallDog

Well BP, I played it a lot when I first got it BUT it is a really high gain amp with Channel 2 about useless to me. I tried to bond with it and acquired other amps as time went on and loved the others more than this one. It did not have much play time on it. I wanted to do our mini-gigs with it but was afraid it would die in the middle of a song...could never trust it. I tried everything to try to fix it with no luck then it was off to my Amp Tech. He thought he had it nailed twice...nope...I just gave up...gave it away free and moved on but I did develop a negative spot in my heart for the DSL40C.

I am glad you never had to deal with this crap...after a while you just divorce yourself from it, develop a hate for it and then move on.

I realize they are all not like this but when you get one that’s a lemon, Marshall,won’t stand behind it and make it righ and spend way too much time on it you begin to hate the shit out of it...

I was even considering throwing in the 3 acre pond that we live in just for spite.

Oh well...it could be worse!

20. MarshallDog

It’s a relay issue of some sort....the main PCB is phucked up. Cycling the power switch makes it work fine. Until it happens GOD knows when. When it happens upon power up, I notice there is no relay clicking and nothing works until the power is cycled meaning the foot switch and the buttons on the panel.