1x12 vs 2x12 for at home recording

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Perplexedm, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Perplexedm

Perplexedm New Member

Hi everyone, Would there be a difference in using a 2x12 over a 1x12 if I'll just be at home micing up a single speaker?

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Direct micing, no difference. How it sounds in the room is something different.

Frodebro and Jethro Rocker like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

the overall physics of the cab vs speaker will make more of a difference...

Not all 1x12's are equal, neither are all 2x12's. You can design a 1x12 to mimic the characteristics of a 2x12 & vise-versa, but, which is a better design is up for debate.

For instance, many people do not like 1x12 cab's period, but, they rave about the Mesa 1x12 Thiele cab... The Thiele is a tuned cab, w/ a front port. Marshall makes the 1912, w/ a front port, but, I don't hear the ravings about it, that I do the Mesa. I own 2- 1912 cab's, but have never owned a Thiele Mesa.

IMO, the 1912 cab's are just speaker boxes. Not great, but, they work for certain things. I have an ISO box I made/devised, from an Anvil road case, that I can house both cab's in the case mic them up (stereo) & seal the case & crank them up to get the direct mic, loud, clear & isolated, & in the room quiet recording.

I also have an oversized AVT112 cab, which is a cheaper MDF cab, but a bit bigger.

If I am running a single 1x12, I will choose the AVT cab every time...

I'd like to get my hands on a Thiele cab sometime. I've been seeing them on the marketplace ads lately, so maybe I will, just to compare & either move towards those, or just try & find me another clean AVT cab & get rid of the rest, although, I won't be able to do my stereo ISO rig...

Maybe I'll just have to keep 'em all! :)...

But, same thing applies to 2x12 cab's. I've had my eye on the Mesa oversized 2x12 cab's, that are ½ open back & ½ closed.

Then, there's the Marshall 1961, which is pretty much a 4x12 size, w/ only 2 speakers diagonally...

Which one is "best" is up to you. The bigger the box volume (space) per speaker, the fatter the sound, w/ more bass perception. At what point does the bass become too much/muddy? That depends on your usage...

The smaller the volume per speaker, the tighter the bass & more focused the top end. Will it sound too thin/boxy?

It's entirely up to you to weigh out those balances per your usage...

If all you are doing is playing at home by yourself, a good fat bass sounds full. Playing w/ a band, or to record, in a mix, you might want more tight/focused sound.

4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

But for close mic recording right off the cone, I don't think any of those will come into play?

scozz likes this.
  5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I hear distinct differences... Do you also think that, w/ close mic'ing that the room does not matter?

6. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Funny, because at first thought one might say no, but it's no different than if you are room mic'ing. The sound off the walls is in a one way street right back into the mic. :)

I guess, try setting up a sheet metal room, then close-mic. :)

:2c:

7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Errr...well, you could install two different speakers in a 212 cab.
    So there is a choice a 112 can't offer.

You would have to mic both to get the sound 'in the room' though.

But that's three different tones from one cab (and two mics).

Dogs of Doom, 2L man and Redguitar like this.
  8. 2L man

2L man Active Member

Assumin you use close micing, when you use single speaker it colors sound half the amp power, but when you use two speakers you can use double the amp power and get more amp distortion. So get 2x12 and wire it so that you can use both combinations and if you get different type speakers and you get even more versality.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  9. hpharley90

hpharley90 Active Member

I use a 2x12 to play through and used to mic each speaker. I was never ever totally happy with my results after a couple of years of recording. About 8 months ago I went the IR route. So easy and sounds way better than anything I did with a mic. I do everything in my living room.
    I put the mics and cables away.

SkyMonkey likes this.