1st Post:thinking Of 1st Marshall But Indecision Has Set In(again)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Hi,this is my 1st post,but have been a member for a few months.
    I joined the forum(for info)after hearing the Dems(y/t) of the Origin 50C,i liked the loose "old school" sound with a nice(to me) amount of gain.
    i'm old & really shouldn't be looking at new Amps,but I've never owned a Marshall & i'm still playing pubs,so maybe just one more,before I hang my boots up,one way or another ;).
    But,when I started looking at prices,i noticed the Silver Jubilee Mini C,being discounted at not much more money than the OR50C,then for a few £'s more JVM215/205C,decisions.
    So finally to my questions,are the Jubilee &/or the JVM 215,capable of delivering the type of sound/feel i'm hearing from the OR50C,i know(from dems)that they are capable of a lot more gain,but can they do that loose early 70's sound?,all the dems I've watched seem to focus on the Higher gain.
    I think i'm ruling out the Jubilee(20 watts)I don't think it has enough on stage output for an old deaf fart,so it's probably going to be OR50C or JVM215/205C(if I can lift them):fingersx:.
    All comments & opinions(good or bad)welcome.
    Oh & hello the Forum.
    Graham.

MonstersOfTheMidway and The Ozzk like this.
  2. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Without pedals, the jube has it's sweet spot in the volume range for tone.
    I had the 100w head, so... typically the volume was pretty loud for what I considered the sweet spot.

A JVM 50 watter can be dialed pretty quiet and get a variety of great tones. A JVM 410 while still a 100 watter,can get even a wider variety of tones at a low volume.

3. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, the open back combos have a natural loose tone... because of the open back.
    A JVM combo will be very heavy compared to an an origin 20.

4. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The 2525C will be closer in feel and vibe to the OR50C, in my opinion. The Jubilee likes to get into the power tubes a little bit, like the Origin in concept, and at 5 watts or 20 watts it is good for doing that in a pub environment. Plus it uses a 25 watt greenback.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I play a Marshall Silver Jubilee 25/5O watt head w/4x12 cabinet. I get great tone, regardless of the setting. I can't imagine the 2525 combo not being the perfect gigging amplifier for any venue.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  6. Graham G

Thanks for the replies,i'm not sure about 20w. being enough,but from the responses so far it looks like the Jubilee may be closer to the "sound" of the OR50,than the JVM.

7. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello.
    @OP: The more I read your quote, the more I think either a Vintage Modern or a JMP would be a better fit. In the case of the Vintage Modern, you might find the 100 watt head and cab for at or slightly under $1000 in most used markets (there's also a VM 50 watt head and a VM 50 watt 2x12 combo). In the case of a JMP, I'd put it a a little over $1000, but no more than $1500. Much will depend on details like the condition of the amps, tubes (NOS vs CP), hours of use for the tubes, etc. When I hear someone looking for an early '70's Marshall sound, my first thoughts are these two. Both might not be easy to find, but with a little patience I think you'll find either in a couple of days or weeks at worst.

If you're only focused on the low watt Jubilee or the JVM (215 or 205C), I think you can get decent seventies tones from either. Speakers will be a factor, but I've heard people like Johan Segeborn get good '70's-inspired tones from a JVM.

So yeah, I think either the low watt Jubilee or the JVM 215 or 205 will do a decent job getting you those tones.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

RickyLee and 67Mopar like this.
  8. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

I have a JVM215C - on the Clean/Crunch channel and even on the green mode of the OD channel you can definitely get 70s tones, but you will probably not like the stock G12B speaker for those kind of sounds, to me it seems better for high gain stuff. Swap in a Greenback variant (Creamback, Lynchback, etc.) with warmer mids and softer bottom end and you're good to go.

9. Graham G

I really thought someone would have replied "buy the Origin,it's sound is different from the rest",but apparently not:)
    So i'm looking seriously at the 215C,at it's present price(in the UK) it looks great value & most of the demos sound great.
    Not sure if I should start a new thread from here,but here goes.:fingersx:
    I've watched & read everything I can find on the 215C,inc downloading the Manual & i'm a bit confused about the Volume pot on the Clean/Crunch channel,am I reading it correct that the Pot is not in circuit for the Clean channel & only the Gain pot works,but on the Crunch channel the Volume & Gain pots work?.
    Also if a MIDI pedal is used can all "6 modes" + "3 channel types" & both "Master Volumes" be accessed individually as well as reverbs & loops ?.
    Thanks.

Jason Fieldhouseespk likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Go play an Origin 50 combo you will like it. :yesway:

11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

The CLEAN/CRUNCH channel has three modes: green, orange, and red. The channel volume control is taken out of the circuit only when playing in the green mode of the CLEAN/CRUNCH channel; use the gain control to adjust the volume of the green mode in the CLEAN/CRUNCH channel. When playing in the orange or red mode of the CLEAN/CRUNCH channel, the channel volume is back in the circuit.

When playing in the OVERDRIVE channel, all channel controls are in the circuit for all modes.

When discussing the JVM215C, I understand do what you mean by "6 modes" but not sure what you mean by "3 channel types" since the 215C has only two channels.

When using MIDI in any JVM4 (not including the Satriani signature JVM) or JVM2 amp (including the 215C) MIDI cannot be used to access individual switch features (for example, you cannot use MIDI to turn the effects loop switch on/off on the 215C). Instead, when using MIDI with the 215C you have to create presets that incorporate particular changes as a group in combination with other switches.

For example, let's say you have a MIDI footcontroller with five footswitches. Say you want the effects loop on for green mode of OVERDRIVE channel, but then you want effects loop off for the red mode of the OVERDRIVE channel. On your MIDI footcontroller you would use footswitch 1 to create and save a preset for OVERDRIVE channel green mode with effects loop on. Then, use footswitch 2 to create and save a preset for OVERDRIVE channel red mode with effects loop off. When you go step on footswitch 1 the amp will change to OVERDRIVE channel green mode with effects loop on, then stepping on footswitch 2 will change the amp to OVERDRIVE channel red mode with effects loop off.

Another option is to use the JVM footcontroller in combination with a MIDI footcontroller to expand your switching options. I've used this approach in the past for certain purposes with no hardware conflicts.

To be honest, not all MIDI footcontrollers will play nice with the JVM2 or JVM4 amps. Some MIDI footcontrollers setup nice and easy, while others are a little more challenging and might require help from its owner's manual.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Jethro Rocker likes this.
  12. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have had a 2007 JVM 410H more quite a few months now. You will like the JVM 205 for sure for getting those 70's tones. They are in there as the others mentioned.

What I wanted to mention is the part about hauling it around to pubs and gigs. That 2X12 combo should be quite heavy I am figuring. My JVM 410H is slightly heavier than all my other older Marshall heads. So be prepared for that one.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  13. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Nobody has asked @Graham G what he is currently playing through and used to using. Also, knowing the music style might help a little bit?

Just Sayin'
    Gene

14. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

That actually did cross my mind.

:D

15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Loving my new 50c! I owned a JVM years ago, all those amps have good options but man the Origin is smooth sounding with a sweet warm crunch with my les Paul!

16. Graham G

17. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Well-Known Member

Go out to see other bands and make friends with the guitar players in your town. See who plays Marshall and try their amp out. That's the only way to avoid buying 4 or 5 amps before you find what you like. Watching demos, asking in forums, is worthless. Even if a demo sounds good, that's them playing not you. Maybe they can't make an amp sound good when you can. Or maybe they can make an amp sound good but you cant. Forums are just words. They'll say an sounds creamy or dark or whatever. That's OK for coffee but not for amps.

18. Graham G

Hi,Jr Deluxe,thanks for replying,but just to be clear,my post was not to ask opinions about the ORI50C,but to ask if the SJM or JVM where capable of a similar sound & feel,sort of old school & loose sounding??.
    I only asked this once I realised I could buy a British made Marshall(SJ,JVM) for not much more money than the Origin,built in Vietnam,i'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with Vietnam factories,but it's a bit like buying a Triumph built in Thailand when the companies a 100 miles away.
    I don't think listening to other Bands would help much,i learned a long time ago that no 2 guitarists sound alike even when using the same set-up,probably no better than listening to Y/T dems.
    I think the only way (for me),is to buy one & play it with my Band,like I said I've never owned a Marshall,something I should do while I still can.

19. Graham G

So as a follow up,i did the dreaded dealer demo trip,played thru the Origin 20C & 50C,i also tried the Jubilee Mini C,if I buy a Marshall it will be an Origin,just not sure which way to jump between the 20 & 50 models,so I think i'd best aim my next questions/thoughts at the Origin thread(although it does state 50 specific)we'll see ;).
    Oh I ruled out the JVM Combo,they only had the Head in stock & that felt a bit lighter than our garden shed.
    Cheers,thanks to all who helped in my thread.

20. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

See, that's a thing some overlook, I impulse bought one of those coveted Bugera 1960 amps, supposed to be a like for like copy of a 1959 plexi, it arrived, I excitedly opened the box and it was immediately obvious to me that no what it sounded like it was going back... an exact copy if a 100watt Marshall amp may sound the part but apparently that equals as big as loud and as heavy as a 100w Marshall amp too.... :-/

I went with the 20 head, as I have a speaker cab, it is loud enough in my band, and attenuates down to quiet enough for the home, even quieter clean with pedals. It's smaller, lighter, but don't be fooled, there's EL34 power valves in there, it's one output transformer away from the 50 watter, which explains the extra cost.

But that been said, combo wise the 20 has a 10" speaker, the 50 a 12", and the 50 is what they're all talking about!