1993 JCM 900 SL-X 2500 50 watt

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JP2036, May 27, 2021.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone thinks you should trade an amp in good condition for one needing work. You started a thread on a Marshall forum, about a specific Marshall, so as a result, you're going to see lots of discussion about that amp, well beyond your original question, it's just the way these threads snowball. Marshall's will almost always lose the glam photo shot, over a Boogie, but then again, it's all about the "sound" (IMO).

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. Deftone

Deftone Well-Known Member

Ah, I mis-understood. I thought you meant 900's in general, not the one you were considering specifically. And I agree, Mesa made better amps in the 90's. I wouldn't trade a Mesa Dual Rec. for any 900 either, especially a burnt up 900. I already have a hand wired, PTP copy of a Mesa/SLO. It's my #1.

When I discussed unwanted noise, I was referring to my 800's. My 900's are exceptionally quiet.

JP2036 and Neptical like this.
  3. 961le

961le Active Member

Now I’m certain of it ,my slx goes with me in flames. I’ll leave you boys with your mesas.
    27EEFBB1-2700-488F-B6C5-C996BFD5207A.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  4. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. jhs5150

jhs5150 Member

A lot of them had the rectifier issue. I've fixed a couple of them with higher-rated ones. They're tricky to replace because they are surface mounted but it can be done. If anyone is thinking of buying one check to see if it's replaced. If not, you will replacing it soon. I'd replace the cap adjacent to it too. I believe the cap failure caused the rectifier to blow.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Hamer95USA and JP2036 like this.
  6. groovenev

groovenev Member

Yes great amp, lov mine- and it can be used for lower volume gigs with the Hi-Low power settings, adjustable buffered effects loop Lots of crunch. The clean sound with this amp is much like classic JMP when you crank it with master volume up around max... and no gain added. Two channels are a nice touch but in reality they are very similar sounding so one for rhythm and one for louder Lead. They both share the extra gain stage so not perfect for low volume crunch clean type setup without using an od stomp box. It looks clean, Enjoy!

Deftone likes this.
  7. Deftone

It's personal preference at that point. Mesa makes great amps, so does Marshall. I choose both.

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Every one I have seen has the br3 issue, and a bulging c8. I think when Marshall added the extra preamp tube in the slx, which decended from the mkiii, they kept the same rating for the rectifier, adding more current draw than the preamp tubes in the mkiii. Same br3 in the slx, but more current than the mkiii. I've also seen 1.5a as well as 1a rectifiers stock in the slx..my personal slx had a 1a in it from the factory.

jhs5150 and Clockworkmike like this.
  9. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

Both the 2500's are good; neither had all tube distortion. The SLX has transistors all through it and the MK III has diodes. The metal players seem to like the SLX better.

Deftone likes this.
  10. 961le

961le Active Member

ya'll make me sad :)

Deftone likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, it's a one channel amp, with 2 independent master volumes (foot switchable). So, yes, the only difference you'll hear is more/less volume. One of my favorite features on the amp, and makes solo volume boosting a snap, wish every single channel Marshall had that feature.

12. 961le

961le Active Member

hear hear! it does all that i require in an amp. the drive of a boosted 2204 brought down to cleanish with the guitar volume. maybe a touch of chorus and delay but thats it dang it!

Deftone likes this.
  13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dogs of Doom, Gunner64 and Deftone like this.
  14. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

You helped me fix this on mine well over a year ago. Same exact symptoms. For me, it would cut the sound out entirely unless you had the master volume beyond 5. Any lower and it was random cut outs until you turned it on standby and then back on.

15. Deftone

Playing my SL-X a bit more today. I have only owned it for a couple months and it's been in rotation. IMHO it's got the 800 tone going on but more refined. It really is a sick fucking amp.

16. 961le

961le Active Member

I had hoped you’d come back home, just a little personal corporal punishment required for your stray.

Deftone and LPMarshall hack like this.
  17. groovenev

groovenev Member

Exactly! well said and you keep your tone overall for the most part... I like it with chan 1 mstr on 6 and chan 2 mstr on 8 nice overall tone... -G

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Deftone likes this.