1987x Flabby Farts Bass

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Sickriverlespaul, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Sickriverlespaul

Sickriverlespaul Active Member

WOW !!! Seen my tech today and let him have the amp, he changed the 330mf to 1mf add a 250pf bypass cap to r8 on the board. Holy crap did that hit the spot on the leads. Slash tone leads in spades with the ppimv it doesn't change one ounce from wide open to mouse fart. I'm still working on the bass but in reality it's perfect on zero. Just amazing sound. Those who don't think the ppimv with pedals get good tone I strongly disagree because this is fat lean and mean stuff.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  2. Sickriverlespaul

Nothing wrong with the amp, I assume you say with out considering what guitar, pickups, pedals speakers anything at all you assume it's the amp lol, I'm sure you know more than me about a circuit but dam I wouldnt pay you a nickel to work on my stuff lol

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

use both channels and blend in the more mellow 2nd channel

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I only say this as a properly setup (tubes, bias and EQ) 1987 is far from farty or flabby.
    I guess if you are running the neck pick up of a jazz box, or running a fuzz pedal or using an unusual speaker set up it might do that, but most people try dialling in different guitars and set ups before modding an amp.
    Of course if you are totally wedded to particular guitar and pedal chain and cannot mod. yourself then the correct thing to do is take it to a tech who can convert the sound in your head to your amp.
    Don't worry I generally only do restorations, only occasional mods for the reasons you allude to.

5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Ouch!

Bit harsh on that last part considering neikeel knows his way around an amp or two.

6. Sickriverlespaul

Ill get to where it needs to be, there's nothing wrong with the amp. This is far from the only place to get knowledge

7. solarburnDSL50

Sure. Nice to have a tech close to home take care of your amp and tune it the way you want.

8. Sickriverlespaul

It is nice and I am very grateful. I came in here with good intentions on all my posts, but since I don't know every aspect of ohms law and every pico fared value you get talked down to, look at my posts and see where I argued or put people down. My guy is as good as anyone in here and his reasons for not being here are the same I just quoted except he does know all that stuff. He got tired of arguing with people.amps are all he has ever done. I'll go there, I don't need to kiss this guys ass for anything. If that's offensive, Good

9. solarburnDSL50

I must of missed the conflict. I read quite a bit prior but not every single post.

Im following cause I love me plexi amps and enjoy seeing things get sorted out. I'm no tech but I like to watch diagnosis happen and getting the amp good to go.

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The input frequency respose is determined by that first cathode bypass capacitor.

Use the calculator to experiment:
    https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifier-calculators/cathode-capacitor/

Depending on guitar / effects, this low frequency can overload the compression stage of the preamp (sounds like a fart).
    There is muddy sound quality.

With single coil pickup, (example) problem may not occur.

But with humbucker pickup, effects unit...there is way more low frequency - and problem may occur!

AND so, what works with 1 guitar may not work with a different setup.

Sickriverlespaul likes this.
  11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

El bastardo twisted the above gentleman's lemon. I think because of a rather didactic response by the op in this thread.
    Ire now vented in my direction. I am quite chilled. A part time hack who had been playing with circuits of various sorts for for over 30 years. I have no pretensions. I fix more amps than I blow up and most sound better after I have worked on them. I hang around Metro amp too where the atmosphere is a can do and try to help others help themselves as much as possible with their amp tweaking. No hierarchy. No grief (usually). Most of the guys here seem cool to learn and appreciate that there are many different ways to skin a rabbit and happy to learn (as am I, lifelong learning is good). I am not tarting for business. My day job is technically demanding and rewards pretty well.
    Peace and lurve!!

12. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Not intentionally. This guy questioned the act of my asking questions. Then he went on to troll my thread endlessly. I think, just my hunch, that he just has a big pile of sour grapes going on. Maybe he didn't get the help he wanted for himself, or he couldn't understand/implement the help he did get, while others can, so now he's bitter. He had to pay a tech to do things he couldn't learn or do for himself, so he's angry about it. That's understandable. What's not understandable is his crusade to slam helpful people or those seeking help.

13. Sickriverlespaul

That's cool, I'm just saying because I didn't say something that was correct in technical terms you put people down. I understand you have been doing this for years and know a lot of big words but frankly talking down to people is not a qualitly I admire or respect. Like I said before I have more than one resource to get my amp where it needs to be and I am glad for that. That resource is as good if not better than most in this forum that I have seen post. I come to read and learn not to argue with faceless people,it's a bit boring to me. But I do like the term twist my lemon. If I were you I would find out more facts before saying the amp is broken or slamming people. That's all, good luck in your cyber world, I would rather deal with real people that have shops, build amps and have 30 years experience and a proven history of being good to the less knowledgeable. Terry

14. solarburnDSL50

Wow man. I reread each post and couldn't make out any thing I'd consider condescending or slighting you. I don't know...maybe I'm blind.

Anyways there are some worthy techs here that I see genuinely help others. I've met prick techs in the real world as I have on the internet. Neither world has anything to do with being one. it's what's inside a person.

The threads concluded so I'm out. Glad the amp is performing now.

15. Sickriverlespaul

It's was on a different thread but it is concluded for sure. exactly why he told me he doesn't come on them anymore. I'm done with it also ...

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  16. Sickriverlespaul

We had a good laugh today about it, my next one will be hand built in a big box, all the good stuff lol then dial it in for my set up. My band rocks, my amps rock, and my job that funds it rocks.

Last edited: May 19, 2017