1982 Marshall 2204 .... problems for the past 5 years.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I purchased a used 1982 Marshall 2204 almost exactly 5 years ago, via Reverb....

Its been a great amp, and I absolutely love it, its one of my favorites.

But I do have one problem...

After 5 years, the previous owner periodically messages me, asking if I am ready to sell it back to him!

I have recently promised him, that he will be the first to know about it, if I do ever decide to sell it...

But to reach out, numerous times, wanting it back, is a testament on these old Marshall amps.

Just saying!

jgab

Reaction score
Did you ever ask him why he chose to sell it? Just curious.

I have been fortunate to never feel seller's remorse selling gear. I sort of feel bad for the guy.

I still see 2204 amps for sale, but it has been slowly declining, especially in the last couple years in my area. The ones I see have extra holes drilled in them or whatever stupid thing was done to them...

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Want to get him off your back? Tell him someone stole it! ;)

There are two amps I used to own that I'd love to buy back.

One is Mesa/Boogie Mark IIA HRG head serial no. 3116. (Sold it, long ago...regretted it many times since.)

And the other is a Mesa/Boogie Mark III widebody loaded head (DRGX) that is a "blue stripe" edition. I have the serial number recorded somwhere around here, but I don't remember it. I am in contact with the guy I sold it to. He doesn't want to sell...yet.

Actually there is a third, the guy who bought the first Marshall 2203 I owned still has it. And he may sell it back to me.

Deftone

Reaction score
I purchased a used 1982 Marshall 2204 almost exactly 5 years ago, via Reverb....

Its been a great amp, and I absolutely love it, its one of my favorites.

But I do have one problem...

After 5 years, the previous owner periodically messages me, asking if I am ready to sell it back to him!

I have recently promised him, that he will be the first to know about it, if I do ever decide to sell it...

But to reach out, numerous times, wanting it back, is a testament on these old Marshall amps.

Just saying!
The guy who sold me my JCM900 full stack about a year ago just contacted me as well wanting it back. I feel bad because I sold a JMP 2203 years ago and have always regretted it.

Brek

Reaction score
I can empathise, being forced to sell something you love due to external forces sucks. I sold one of my Gibson Les Paul JP signatures (number 086) and seriously regretted it ever since.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I’ve got an ‘84 4104 I’m thinking of selling or trading in because I just can’t deal with the weight of a 2x12 2204 combo. I’m more of a 4 hole JMP fan but if I come across a 2203 or 2204 as a head I’d contemplate it

I bought mine a little over 3 years ago for 1100 and tax. I see them selling for a lot more than that now but I’ve got the feeling I’d miss my first big Marshall amp even though I have an SV20c I use more these days. Even with that amp I feel I should’ve bought the head but the combo was cheaper and in navy blue

Neptical

Reaction score
Want to get him off your back? Tell him someone stole it! ;)

There are two amps I used to own that I'd love to buy back.

One is Mesa/Boogie Mark IIA HRG head serial no. 3116. (Sold it, long ago...regretted it many times since.)

And the other is a Mesa/Boogie Mark III widebody loaded head (DRGX) that is a "blue stripe" edition. I have the serial number recorded somwhere around here, but I don't remember it. I am in contact with the guy I sold it to. He doesn't want to sell...yet.

Actually there is a third, the guy who bought the first Marshall 2203 I owned still has it. And he may sell it back to me.

Just before the Gibson Boogie thang happened, I had very small thoughts of letting my Boogie Mark III heads go - both SimulClass red and purple stripe. Matching cream tolex EVM cab. I also have a Dual Rectifier Rev G.

The more I had thought about it the more I thought I would regret it for years. I've never had sellers remorse and that definitely feels like one coming.

If you have something you love, by all means - hang on to it for whatever it takes. That attachment is often very hard to replace.

Latest posts