1980 JMP 2203 Questions

jgab

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the head cabinet on this 1980 JMP 2203 head? It seems like this is a 70's style cabinet with a 1980 chassis. Hope its not a repro. Has some sort of CSA badge on the back...

What do you think? Serial number ends in M so it the chassis is 1980.

Thanks,
JGab

Attachments

• JMP Face.jpg
    JMP Face.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 45
  • JMP Left Side.jpg
    JMP Left Side.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 39
  • JMP Right Side.jpg
    JMP Right Side.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 38
  • JMP Seria.jpg
    JMP Seria.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 41
  • JMP Underside Preamp.jpg
    JMP Underside Preamp.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 39
  • JMP back.jpg
    JMP back.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 39
  • JMP Chassis Top.jpg
    JMP Chassis Top.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 41

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The color shade of the back panel is slightly different from that of the head shell. So they're probably made at different times.

That style headshell certainly would not have been on a factory built 1980 2203. They stopped making that style around 1975 just as the very first master volume Marshalls were coming out.

We can't tell if the headshell might be a repro or an original from just those photos. Give us better photos. Closeups of the corners, of the tolex grain, of the cabinet construction on the inside.

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
It's hard to tell, but the front lip, below the knobs, looks like it is flat. If it is flat, then that would have been a head shell from a plexi era amp. When Marshall moved to metal face amps, they also started making that lip with a rounded edge. The tag on the back is also hard to see, but if it is from Marshall, it is much earlier make than a 1980 2203. The logo would also be the larger style on a 1980 JMP 2203.

Bottom line, the head shell is not original to the amp, whether original or repro. If the head shell is original, it is also valuable. If original, it is one of the most well-cared-for plexi head shells I've ever seen. :)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the head cabinet on this 1980 JMP 2203 head? It seems like this is a 70's style cabinet with a 1980 chassis. Hope its not a repro. Has some sort of CSA badge on the back...

What do you think? Serial number ends in M so it the chassis is 1980.

Thanks,
JGab
If the question is just regarding the headshell, aside from it being a plexi style headshell, I'd guess it's a reproduction. A few things make me suspect it's a repro, such as the radius of the corners, the condition, the placement of the Marshall logo... If the electronics are in good shape, and it sounds good, repro or not, it's still a good looking amp.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
No, the headshell doesn't make the amp. Particularly when it's not even the right TYPE.
For a few hundred bucks you can get Mojotone or Sourmash build you a correct spec cabinet for that amp. In any tolex color you want, if it's available, too.

TheOtherEric

Reaction score
My ‘76 2204 head shell is similar to that, except all white piping throughout, and elephant not levant tolex. I believe they added the plastic corners around late ‘76 or ‘77, so this is clearly not the cab it came with. And the levant makes me suspect aftermarket.

jgab

Reaction score
Ok. I need to figure out if this cabinet is an original Marshall or repro. This isn't my amp, but I am interested in buying it. Thanks for all the detective work. I'll ask for more cab shots. Stand-by.

jgab

Reaction score
I think I just figured it out. I looked online and I found a Marshall 1959HW Reissue Superlead 100W.

Logo placement is a little different between these cabs but they are close. That back panel badge is interesting though.

Is this a real Superlead cab with this 2203 chassis? Thoughts?

Here are a couple pics from a reissue from Reverb ad...

Attachments

• ecehg58xssr1jatr3yfd.jpg
    ecehg58xssr1jatr3yfd.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 11
  • jcgxechmxrhm4zddxnw3.jpg
    jcgxechmxrhm4zddxnw3.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The cabinet style is just what they made until about 1975. Often called a JMP style cabinet, or a Plexi cabinet. It's not specific to one model, ALL 100 watt models (and some 50s) were found in them.

At the asking price, this amp is well worth buying. With or without the headshell. Don't obsess over the headshell.

My suspicion is that the headshell is a reissue, not original. There'd be no reason to separate an original headshell in that good a condition from the original amp that would have been in it. In fact, that'd be pretty dumb to split them up. There's very little that could happen to scrap the amp and leave the headshell in such good shape.

jgab

Reaction score
Those are great points, as usual. I have the money burning in my pocket, but I think I will search a little more to see what's out there.

The chassis is in awesome condition though as you said...

Appreciate it.
J

jgab

Reaction score
I do have something I want to rant about when buying used Marshalls. I am looking for a 2203 from the 70's or early 80's:

Q: Why the hell is it so difficult to get a seller to open up the amp to take a nice photo of the circuit board?

I get so much push back when asking this question. Sometimes I can't even get the seller to take the back panel off so I can get a photo of the transformers, caps and tubes? This is ridiculous! For the price some people are asking, how is this an unreasonable request? When I ask for this, they often reply it's "stock". Oh yeah?....Prove it! It's only 4 screws and 4 bolts. Usually all with the same screwdriver...

To me this is like buying a used car without seeing how the interior looks or seeing whats under the hood? Some of these amps are the same price of a used car around here btw., so I think my analogy is somewhat valid...

Am I out of line asking sellers for this request?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I do have something I want to rant about when buying used Marshalls. I am looking for a 2203 from the 70's or early 80's:

Q: Why the hell is it so difficult to get a seller to open up the amp to take a nice photo of the circuit board?

I get so much push back when asking this question. Sometimes I can't even get the seller to take the back panel off so I can get a photo of the transformers, caps and tubes? This is ridiculous! For the price some people are asking, how is this an unreasonable request? When I ask for this, they often reply it's "stock". Oh yeah?....Prove it! It's only 4 screws and 4 bolts. Usually all with the same screwdriver...

To me this is like buying a used car without seeing how the interior looks or seeing whats under the hood? Some of these amps are the same price of a used car around here btw., so I think my analogy is somewhat valid...

Not at all my friend

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree man, every time I’ve sold an amp, I’ve shown potential buyers pics of the guts. But if I didn’t include pics for some reason, I would certainly do so if asked.

V-man

Reaction score

Both sides: as a buyer it seems fair to point out that these have been modded for decades and if the seller is unwilling to show the inside, a discount or return (in writing) should be in order. Of course, he can tell you to pound sand so the risk goes with the bargain seeing how many others are in the market with the same concerns.

OTOH, if they have heard anything on the subject, they probably have a (correct) impression that poking the wrong place even unplugged can be fatal causing many to think touching a phillips to the back panel is a gamble with death. Also, guys require manhandling a top-heavy chassis and setting it on the backpanel or upside down (braced) and judging from the mass mangina population in the community over guitar weight, I can see that being an issue too.

Smellytele

Reaction score

I had a seller lecture me about how a Marshall 1959 was a "mans amp" and how one could not just get the tones at low volumes and blah blah blah. That was in response to my request that he send a short video of him simply turning the amp on so that I could see that it powered up. I walked away, briskly. Too many shady people out there, sellers should be more open to helping potential buyers feel more at ease. My opinion, anyway.

JivRey

Reaction score
I think I just figured it out. I looked online and I found a Marshall 1959HW Reissue Superlead 100W.

Logo placement is a little different between these cabs but they are close. That back panel badge is interesting though.

I'm pretty sure a 1980 JMP would've had metal toggle switches if it was the Canadian/CSA version, which indicates in my opinion that the casing is not original to this amp.

jgab

Reaction score
I found out from the seller over the phone that this head cabinet was from a 70's Marshall (Superlead I assume?). He didn't know what model this originally came from but he said it is original.
However, the top, sides and bottom have been re-tolexed and the front and back panel are original. That explains a lot. I can clearly see the difference since he pointed this out..

He is going to provide me some high quality photos in a few days. We spoke for a while and he seems like a decent person. Off to a good start, but I am still on the fence.

johan.b

Reaction score
Here in Sweden you see those head shells(round lip, not flat though)a bit into 1976 but using elephant grain instead of levant vinyl on the -76 examples... but then Sweden was always a bit odd with JMPs running parallel with 800s as late as 1984....
J

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good thing is , it fits !
Just make sure the price reflects the non-originality . Other than that ,I'd still say it's a proper Marshall
Kinda reminds me of a transition era amp ,where you had any crazy combination of features .....

My '76 ,as @johan.b described
Elephant hide , black bats, big logo ,no corners , gold piping (although Ive seen 'em by this time with white)

Latest posts