1972 super lead

tomsvintage

Reaction score
Thanks so much!
Handwired, Nice amp !!

I would say $1,300 is a fair price.

I do agree with Neikeel about 1972 era PT's and OT's do pop up from time to time.

All due respect to Wallace , Merren and Mercury for their transformers. If you do need an alternative source for a transformer rewind I have used Gary http://members.tripod.com/tubes_tubes_tubes/transformerrewindingservice/ for a 1964 JTM45 output transformer rewind and 1968 JMP power transformer rewind.

Talk to Gary.

He is very good and will save the old bell housing if you want and work with you on keeping the vintage look. Very reasonable too !!

Cheers, Tom

Last edited:

jack daniels

Reaction score
That is some cool usable information to have Tom. I'm aware of Brian and Chris although I knew that there had to be more than a couple of premier winders that perform this service. MM, Marstran, and Merren will charge you a bit of coin for a rewind so a good transformer rewind service at reasonable prices is very much appreciated.

Where is this guy out of? Hawaii?

tomsvintage

Reaction score
That is some cool usable information to have Tom. I'm aware of Brian and Chris although I knew that there had to be more than a couple of premier winders that perform this service. MM, Marstran, and Merren will charge you a bit of coin for a rewind so a good transformer rewind service at reasonable prices is very much appreciated.

Where is this guy out of? Hawaii?
Gary is in Maine. He usually charges $180 + USPS Priority flat rate shipping. USPS Priority flat rate is a must for me on small heavy stuff to and from Hawaii:wave:.

On the left side of his home page you can scroll down to Marshall to get the individual PT and OT rewind prices. He also does chokes. Gary also has tubes and used transformers.

Cheers, Tom

Last edited:

jack daniels

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! I haven't had a chance to price transformer rewinds but I've got that Dagnall T3556 PT and a couple of transformers from a Fender BFPR and Fender SFSR that need to be gone over to make sure that they do not need rewinding. The Fender chassis w/trannys have been sitting in my storage unit for some time. Pricing doesn't sound too bad actually. Thanks :wave:

jack daniels

Reaction score
Gary is in Maine. He usually charges $180 + USPS Priority flat rate shipping. USPS Priority flat rate is a must for me on small heavy stuff to and from Hawaii:wave:.

On the left side of his home page you can scroll down to Marshall and Drake to get the individual PT and OT rewind prices. He also does chokes.

Cheers, Tom

Very cool indeed. Do you think he'd rewind Schumacher tranny's from vintage Fender amps?

tomsvintage

Reaction score
Very cool indeed. Do you think he'd rewind Schumacher tranny's from vintage Fender amps?
Yes ~ He rewinds all kinds of transformers including transformers from almost every Fender amp !

Email him http://members.tripod.com/tubes_tubes_tubes/transformerrewindingservice/ with your questions and requests and tell him that I referred you.

He used to do Ham radio stuff just like the first Marshall amp builders Dudley Craven and Ken Bran.

Gary will remember me simply because of Hawaii :wave:

Last edited:

jack daniels

Reaction score
Cool Tom, I just have to get past the "Danger Will Robinson" message of : Warning: Possible phishing site

Like I say, maybe it's my 07' iMac with Leopard that's now considered vintage lol

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
I also have a 72 superlead but it doesnt have 4 outputs on the rear,,, just 2 l+r....and its still got the old round power cable socket, not like urs?

eastsidecincy

Reaction score
I had a 73 Superlead 100 watt.....it was good for blowing speakers...lol.....sounded great ..like everybody else, still wish I had it.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
Wouldn't you rather have a nice 72 with a new tranny for 1300 than some reissue for the same $? I would, then I'd gig the crap out of it.

jack daniels

Reaction score
on my 68 super trem i put a brite cap on and it got real loud at low volumes so I took it off. You could try snipping one side of it

I'd like that myself because it would mean earlier clipping. Your comment made me wonder about a comment that Gary Moore made in Issue#4 Autumn 1998 of 'Marshall Law' under "Most Used" regarding Gary's 1992 JMP Super Bass circa 1972 amp where he stated, "It is a very loud amp, with a lot of distortion which starts at lower levels, in fact, with most amps you find you need to turn them up to 6/7 before they start to work, this gives you plenty of tone and drive set on about 3. Every guitarist has the sound of an amplifier in their mind which acts as a yardstick for all others, this is such an amplifier."

This made me wonder, "What if Gary's tech added a bright cap to his 72' 1992 Super Bass head?". :hmm: