1972 Super Lead with special Jose Mod

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's been a while!
I finally got around to recording some new amps.

This is my personal 1972 Marshall Super Lead that I got myself for Christmas last year.
I was specifically looking for a 70-73 Super Lead for a while because I'm a huge Joe Holmes fan and his Jose are from that time.
The amp has the rare original Drake transformer with a plate voltage of 505V, which is almost a bit annoying for me because I know that Joe's Jose Marshalls have the standard Dagnall transformers haha. It sounds awesome though, so I don't really mind.

The Jose Mod that I put in this amp is a bit special. I took it from a 1978 JMP Jose that used to belong to Joe Holmes. It's got some things that I've never seen in a real Jose before. The Master Volume is one of those things. It's neither the known push-pull MV nor the standard post-TS MV.

The original amp also has two rotary switches on the back that change the gain of the added stages. I've tried implementing those but found that they sounded best in the position where they were out of circuit. The amp has the passive FX loop right in front of V2, where Joe has his Lexicon PCM41 to clip its input and then overdrive the last gain stage in the amp. The amp does not have the "pull both" switch.

If you're wondering what the added knob on the left does... It's a level control for the Preamp Out on the back.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's been a while!
I finally got around to recording some new amps.

This is my personal 1972 Marshall Super Lead that I got myself for Christmas last year.
I was specifically looking for a 70-73 Super Lead for a while because I'm a huge Joe Holmes fan and his Jose are from that time.
The amp has the rare original Drake transformer with a plate voltage of 505V, which is almost a bit annoying for me because I know that Joe's Jose Marshalls have the standard Dagnall transformers haha. It sounds awesome though, so I don't really mind.

The Jose Mod that I put in this amp is a bit special. I took it from a 1978 JMP Jose that used to belong to Joe Holmes. It's got some things that I've never seen in a real Jose before. The Master Volume is one of those things. It's neither the known push-pull MV nor the standard post-TS MV.

The original amp also has two rotary switches on the back that change the gain of the added stages. I've tried implementing those but found that they sounded best in the position where they were out of circuit. The amp has the passive FX loop right in front of V2, where Joe has his Lexicon PCM41 to clip its input and then overdrive the last gain stage in the amp. The amp does not have the "pull both" switch.

If you're wondering what the added knob on the left does... It's a level control for the Preamp Out on the back.

Sounds great brother