1966 silverdale road pinstripe in-line 4x10

StingRay85

Reaction score
Relax and read further then I meant the cab itself not the speakers.

neikeel

Reaction score
I’ve been very impressed with those 7442s in John’s 2 x10s. I was surprised but actually preferred them over the 12s in that application.

I confess to having parted out old PA 2x12s in the past but would think twice now.

StingRay85

Reaction score
If they want to sell it for 1680€, you can only imagine for what amount they picked it up themselves. To me this just seems like a fair retail price instead of a bargain. Like other people said, 200 per speaker and there you have your value. One speaker is swapped out and you never know if there are other coil rubbers. Even those 8x10 cabs hardly get sold for 1500.

Markedman

Reaction score
One of the speakers is dead. 3 work. I've re-coned speakers before with the preassembled kits but this speaker, I'll send out to someone. Can someone here recommend a company that might be able to re-cone this speaker?

StingRay85

Reaction score
A dead/reconed speaker is not worth much, it costs more to have it reconed than the value it has afterwards

Seanxk

Reaction score
One of the speakers is dead. 3 work. I've re-coned speakers before with the preassembled kits but this speaker, I'll send out to someone. Can someone here recommend a company that might be able to re-cone this speaker?

Have you checked continuity from the solder points or even the jack socket, perhaps try further down the path first, ending up at the transfer leads to cone ( tinsel leads, odd name! ).

Markedman

Reaction score
Yes, it may cost more but if I just put another in it's place, it's becomes fugly to look at the sensitivity might not match, after all, it's the look that's a bigger concern to me.

I have the three speakers hooked up (13 ohms @ the jack) and it sounds crazy great, I'm floored by it. I have many other cabinets to compare it to, but no 10's except bass cabinets. I will bring it to my studio tomorrow and put it up directly against my 1974 creamback loaded 4X12 to see the difference.

Markedman

Reaction score
"Have you checked continuity from the solder points or even the jack socket, perhaps try further down the path first, ending up at the transfer leads to cone ( tinsel leads, odd name! )."

Yes. I took a PA cable, took off the banana plug, unsoldered the speaker and hooked up the wires, it did not respond to the speaker cable, whereas the other 3 speakers did. I even tried it directly on the wires leading to the cone. There is some rub if I push down far enough.

Looking for a repair place, I came across a bunch of videos where the guy fixes the speaker with the old cone and spider. I'm not there yet, almost willing to try. Nothing to lose.

Seanxk

Reaction score
I have the three speakers hooked up (13 ohms @ the jack) and it sounds crazy great, I'm floored by it.

Some knew already, some didn't and some will never know :yesway:

They're cones from when the knowledge was known ( alas all lost ) and we ain't going there again, great project and wishing you good luck.

Markedman

Reaction score
I've had a lot of Marshall amps over the years and never considered using 10" speakers. Now that I'm older I rarely play out anywhere or have a current full-time committed band, I may use this for playing at home. It's not like it's a dedicated PA cabinet with horns or a speaker designed just for PA, it's a phenomenal sounding speaker with plenty of low end and punch, not "tinny" at all like some 10's can be.

London John

Reaction score
I've had a lot of Marshall amps over the years and never considered using 10" speakers. Now that I'm older I rarely play out anywhere or have a current full-time committed band, I may use this for playing at home. It's not like it's a dedicated PA cabinet with horns or a speaker designed just for PA, it's a phenomenal sounding speaker with plenty of low end and punch, not "tinny" at all like some 10's can be.

Hush man, let those who listen with their eyes remain ignorant.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Have you checked continuity from the solder points or even the jack socket, perhaps try further down the path first, ending up at the transfer leads to cone ( tinsel leads, odd name! )."

Yes. I took a PA cable, took off the banana plug, unsoldered the speaker and hooked up the wires, it did not respond to the speaker cable, whereas the other 3 speakers did. I even tried it directly on the wires leading to the cone. There is some rub if I push down far enough.

Looking for a repair place, I came across a bunch of videos where the guy fixes the speaker with the old cone and spider. I'm not there yet, almost willing to try. Nothing to lose.

Are you in the US? I'd send them to this guy to have them restored instead of re-coned if possible. He does great work. I had him restore a quad of 1972 12" Celestion Greenbacks for me and I'm happy.

http://www.thespeakershop.com/home/infopolicieslinks.html

StingRay85

Reaction score
Hush man, let those who listen with their eyes remain ignorant.

Open back vs closed back is also apples and oranges. One sounds open with plenty of bass, the other more tight and focused. However, when you mic an open back is often doesn't sound as good as you perceive in a room.

Markedman

Reaction score
$950.00? 0oooo, that's interesting. If he can get that price, mine is well worth what I paid for it.